BiBottomBoy

Shithole Countries

Trump's 'shithole' remark makes global headlines – but it doesn't quite translate

Some countries struggled to find an appropriate translation for the president’s offensive comments– and others chose to employ the censor’s pencil

Trump’s remarks were translated in China as ‘countries that suck’ and Greece’s Ta Nea paper settled on ‘thieving countries’.  

Trump’s remarks were translated in China as ‘countries that suck’ and Greece’s Ta Nea paper settled on ‘thieving countries’. Photograph: Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA

Fri 12 Jan 2018 16.41 ESTLast modified on Fri 12 Jan 2018 16.43 EST

•  

Donald Trump’s description of Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African countries as “shitholes” in an Oval Office meeting with US senators to discuss immigration on Thursday quickly shot around the world.

But by the time the story arrived on screens and front pages in some countries the offensive language had been somewhat lost in translation, while in the more conservative corners of America – Utah, network TV – it was hidden by euphemism.

Taiwan’s central news agency led the confusion in Asia by translating “shithole countries” as, in phonetics, “niao bu sheng dan de guo jia”, which means, mysteriously, “countries where birds don’t lay eggs”.

In China, the People’s Daily decided it meant “countries that suck”, while Vietnam’s Youth newspaper in Ho Chi Minh City went for “rubbish states”. In Europe, Greece’s daily Ta Nea settled on “thieving countries”.

France’s venerable Le Monde did not quite get there with “pays de merde” – shit countries. But a sister French news site, Courrier International, went straight for the jugular with “trou a merde”, or hole of shit.

In France, Courrier’s headline declared “pays de merde” to be the word of the day

It further felt the need to explain the phrase, in French, which the Guardian re-translates to the best of our ability here: “Literally, shithole means hole of shit, and refers to toilets and, by extension, backwaters, ‘ratholes’.”

Courrier’s headline, however, declared “pays de merde” to be the word of the day.

The headline in Poland’s liberal daily Gazeta Wyborcza, based in Warsaw, referred to “Donalda Trumpa” slamming “imigrantach z zapudia”, which means immigrants from either shitholes, hellholes or “nowhere”.

Meanwhile, in some of the countries Trump insulted, there was no confusion. Digital news site La Pagina in El Salvador referred in its headline to “agujeros de mier…”, which is the equivalent of saying “s…holes”.

Advertisement

Haiti’s oldest daily newspaper, Le Nouvelliste, ran a coy and cryptic headline in French meaning simply: “The Haitian government condemns Trump’s words.” But in the body of the story itself it dispensed with both modesty and asterisks and referred plainly to “un trou de merde”.

Given that Trump didn’t specify which countries in Africa he was referring to, it was tricky for some nations to know how to respond. At least Trump appeared to know that Africa is a continent not a single country, unlike 2008’s vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

Still. The government of Botswana posted a tweet announcing that it has “enquired from the US Government, through the ambassador, to clarify if Botswana is regarded as a “shithole” country.” It said it viewed “the utterances as highly irresponsible, reprehensible and racist.”

In the US, policies differed widely. The Washington Post, which broke the story, wrote shithole in its headline and within the story.

But although the Post’s article was syndicated for use in the Salt Lake Tribune, in Utah, word for word, the newspaper in that more conservative patch of America chose to employ a censor’s pencil and doctored the headline and body of the story to read “s---hole”.

USA Today used the word within the story but headlined it: “Report: Trump uses crude term while attacking protections for immigrants.”

The Associated Press wrote primly: “Trump dismisses Haiti, African countries with vulgarity.”

On New York radio station WNYC on Friday morning, host David Greene cautioned listeners sternly: “I want to warn you, according to our sources, he used a word that might offend you,” before clearly enunciating the offending word.

The Guardian published the word in full in its headline and story. 

Network TV news programs were careful. NBC Nightly News repeated the word just once and anchor Lester Holt warned viewers beforehand. CBS and ABC did not use the word. PBS News Hour went with “S-blank-hole countries.” But CNN wrote the word out in full on its chyron, the headline along the bottom of the screen.

Friday morning’s GMA breakfast show on ABC had host George Stephanopoulos explaining that the station’s policy was “not to repeat the profanity.” But he then expressed his own dissent, saying: “I think that’s probably a mistake.”

Topics

• Members
3 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

Trump's 'shithole' remark makes global headlines – but it doesn't quite translate

Some countries struggled to find an appropriate translation for the president’s offensive comments– and others chose to employ the censor’s pencil

Trump’s remarks were translated in China as ‘countries that suck’ and Greece’s Ta Nea paper settled on ‘thieving countries’.  

Trump’s remarks were translated in China as ‘countries that suck’ and Greece’s Ta Nea paper settled on ‘thieving countries’. Photograph: Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA

Fri 12 Jan 2018 16.41 ESTLast modified on Fri 12 Jan 2018 16.43 EST

•  

Donald Trump’s description of Haiti, El Salvador and unspecified African countries as “shitholes” in an Oval Office meeting with US senators to discuss immigration on Thursday quickly shot around the world.

But by the time the story arrived on screens and front pages in some countries the offensive language had been somewhat lost in translation, while in the more conservative corners of America – Utah, network TV – it was hidden by euphemism.

Taiwan’s central news agency led the confusion in Asia by translating “shithole countries” as, in phonetics, “niao bu sheng dan de guo jia”, which means, mysteriously, “countries where birds don’t lay eggs”.

In China, the People’s Daily decided it meant “countries that suck”, while Vietnam’s Youth newspaper in Ho Chi Minh City went for “rubbish states”. In Europe, Greece’s daily Ta Nea settled on “thieving countries”.

France’s venerable Le Monde did not quite get there with “pays de merde” – shit countries. But a sister French news site, Courrier International, went straight for the jugular with “trou a merde”, or hole of shit.

In France, Courrier’s headline declared “pays de merde” to be the word of the day

It further felt the need to explain the phrase, in French, which the Guardian re-translates to the best of our ability here: “Literally, shithole means hole of shit, and refers to toilets and, by extension, backwaters, ‘ratholes’.”

Courrier’s headline, however, declared “pays de merde” to be the word of the day.

The headline in Poland’s liberal daily Gazeta Wyborcza, based in Warsaw, referred to “Donalda Trumpa” slamming “imigrantach z zapudia”, which means immigrants from either shitholes, hellholes or “nowhere”.

Meanwhile, in some of the countries Trump insulted, there was no confusion. Digital news site La Pagina in El Salvador referred in its headline to “agujeros de mier…”, which is the equivalent of saying “s…holes”.

Advertisement

Haiti’s oldest daily newspaper, Le Nouvelliste, ran a coy and cryptic headline in French meaning simply: “The Haitian government condemns Trump’s words.” But in the body of the story itself it dispensed with both modesty and asterisks and referred plainly to “un trou de merde”.

Given that Trump didn’t specify which countries in Africa he was referring to, it was tricky for some nations to know how to respond. At least Trump appeared to know that Africa is a continent not a single country, unlike 2008’s vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

Still. The government of Botswana posted a tweet announcing that it has “enquired from the US Government, through the ambassador, to clarify if Botswana is regarded as a “shithole” country.” It said it viewed “the utterances as highly irresponsible, reprehensible and racist.”

In the US, policies differed widely. The Washington Post, which broke the story, wrote shithole in its headline and within the story.

But although the Post’s article was syndicated for use in the Salt Lake Tribune, in Utah, word for word, the newspaper in that more conservative patch of America chose to employ a censor’s pencil and doctored the headline and body of the story to read “s---hole”.

USA Today used the word within the story but headlined it: “Report: Trump uses crude term while attacking protections for immigrants.”

The Associated Press wrote primly: “Trump dismisses Haiti, African countries with vulgarity.”

On New York radio station WNYC on Friday morning, host David Greene cautioned listeners sternly: “I want to warn you, according to our sources, he used a word that might offend you,” before clearly enunciating the offending word.

The Guardian published the word in full in its headline and story. 

Network TV news programs were careful. NBC Nightly News repeated the word just once and anchor Lester Holt warned viewers beforehand. CBS and ABC did not use the word. PBS News Hour went with “S-blank-hole countries.” But CNN wrote the word out in full on its chyron, the headline along the bottom of the screen.

Friday morning’s GMA breakfast show on ABC had host George Stephanopoulos explaining that the station’s policy was “not to repeat the profanity.” But he then expressed his own dissent, saying: “I think that’s probably a mistake.”

Topics

I have been in countries where birds don't fly but not one where birds don't lay eggs.  Darwin likely would prevent such as that.  ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
44 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Reputable Congressman said he said it.

That is enough for me.

I would like to meet said reputable congress critter, if he or she exists.  

Best regards,

RA1

1 hour ago, RA1 said:

I would like to meet said reputable congress critter, if he or she exists.  

Best regards,

RA1

Aw, it ain't quite that hopeless.

I am as insane-lefty as they come, yet I have deep respect & regard for my NC Repubican Sen. Richard J. Burr.

One of his party's only sane members.

39 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Aw, it ain't quite that hopeless.

I am as insane-lefty as they come, yet I have deep respect & regard for my NC Repubican Sen. Richard J. Burr.

One of his own party's only sane members.

Actually our other NC Sen. also, one Thom Tillis, a right-wing bomb-thrower back when in charge of the NC state legislature, is likewise turning out to be a pretty sensible indeed US Senator.

• Members
9 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

Actually our other NC Sen. also, one Thom Tillis, a right-wing bomb-thrower back when in charge of the NC state legislature, is likewise turning out to be a pretty sensible indeed US Senator.

This seems to be a symptom that makes our political process illogical.  Most folks like their own reps. but no one else's.  Obviously an oversimplification with exceptions.  However it seems to block real reforms.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
17 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

col-4438.1L.jpg?24

[There is obviously a whole genre of these vintage German pork-themed New Year's greeting cards.

Those zany Krauts!]

Talk about oversimplification!  ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

2 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

Your knowledge of Germans and pork amazes me.

My.grampa raised hogs and salt-cured the most mouthwatering country ham.

We were of course of English-Scots-Irish extraction. None of this Saxe-Coburg-Gotha nonsense. ;)

(The name Mountbatten though has always seemed to me vaguely tittilatingly homoerotic. ^_^ )

2 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

Your knowledge of Germans and pork amazes me.

PS One must alvays mistrust de Germans. Ze vone exzeption is Angela, possibly (with Macron) ze only sane alive leader on ze planet.

und vit any cojones.

und it looks now like even she may get dumped.

Ach!!!