• Members

I found some of his writings in connection with religion fascinating.  

Not many people know that he had several children and was a British citizen.   

His synthesized computer generated voice had an undetectable speaking accent.   Some thought he was American, some thought that he was English, while some thought he was Scandinavian (based on the accent of the computer voice).  

He lived long past his physicians predictions.  

He was quite an extraordinary man.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:04 AM, AdamSmith said:

I am quite grieving.

I didn't realize how much I loved him.

In a sense, we each assemble & construct our own unique selves out of the best bits and pieces of others whom we discover to be our heroes.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:04 AM, AdamSmith said:

I am quite grieving.

I didn't realize how much I loved him.

Nothing innately tragic about his passing, especially at such an astoundingly ripe age given his conditions. And of course all the unsurpassed achievements, of every kind.

Just the sense of how we will miss his eternally fresh presence among us, deep insights into present and future, utterly wry and dry wit...

Guest Larstrup
24 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

In a sense, we each assemble & construct our own unique selves out of the best bits and pieces of others whom we discover to be our heroes.

This is probably the most true and loving comment that has ever been posted here ever.

Ever.

There is a gift.

I hope we all will find it in our heart to express that to those we love.

29 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

The Myth of the Birth of the Hero

A Psychological Exploration of Myth

Expanded and Updated Edition

by Otto Rank
translated by Gregory C. Richter, PhD, and E. James Lieberman, MD. With an Introductory Essay by Robert A. Segal, PhD

First published in German in 1909, Otto Rank's original The Myth of the Birth of the Hero offered psychoanalytical interpretations of mythological stories as a means of understanding the human psyche. Like his mentor Sigmund Freud, Rank compared the myths of such figures as Oedipus, Moses, and Sargon with common dreams, seeing in both a symbolic fulfillment of repressed desire. In a new edition published thirteen years after the original, Rank doubled the size of his seminal work, incorporating new discoveries in psychoanalysis, mythology, and ethnology.

This expanded and updated edition has been eloquently translated by Gregory C. Richter and E. James Lieberman and includes an introductory essay by Robert A. Segal as well as Otto Rank's 1914 essay "The Play in Hamlet."

Otto Rank (1884–1939), one of the most important figures in psychoanalysis, was the author of The Incest Theme in Literature and Legend: Fundamentals of a Psychology of Literary Creation and Psychology and the Soul: A Study of the Origin, Conceptual Evolution, and Nature of the Soul. Gregory C. Richter, PhD, is a professor of German and linguistics at Truman State University. E. James Lieberman, MD, is professor emeritus of clinical psychiatry and behavioral sciences at George Washington University. Robert A. Segal, PhD, is the Sixth Century Chair in Religious Studies at the University of Aberdeen.

https://jhupbooks.press.jhu.edu/content/myth-birth-hero

6 hours ago, Larstrup said:

This is probably the most true and loving comment that has ever been posted here ever.

Ever.

There is a gift.

I hope we all will find it in our heart to express that to those we love.

And I have said it many times before: many several of those whom I merely engaged to fuck me; I fell in love with.

And have gotten it back, for life.