TotallyOz

An Adventure Across Thailand on a Bicycle

I would have staid in any hotel with a waiter like the one on your second picture ...

As for the dogs it is a long time I ride bikes and it is a long time I hate them too. I generally shout louder than them and it seems to scary them enough to retreat. If one day I had to

be seriously wounded by one of these creatures, I would make anything to come back and kill it as a revenge and to clean the way for the next rider.

Good luck for the Saturday stage to Khao Lak which should be a difficult one but also very beautiful (and the roadbook forecasts an "incredible 7 km downhill" ... )

(llz @ Jan 2 2009, 06:22 PM)

Good luck for the Saturday stage to Khao Lak which should be a difficult one but also very beautiful (and the rodabook forecasts an "incredible 7 km downhill" ... )

I rode it last night on the way to the hotel. The ride down looks fantastic but the road up is about 6KM from the hotel and it just keeps going and going and going and going UP.

(GayThailand @ Jan 2 2009, 12:32 PM)

I rode it last night on the way to the hotel. The ride down looks fantastic but the road up is about 6KM from the hotel and it just keeps going and going and going and going UP.

Riding a bike teaches modesty and perseverance (besides many other things).

Saturday, January 3rd - Ride from Khao Sok National Park to Khao Lak (48 Miles/76 KM)

This was the longest climb of the Tour (4KM). The best downhill of the tour other than the 2nd day and the short but sweet ride into Patong Beach.

Sunday, January 4th - Ride from Khao Lak to Phuket (74 Miles/118 KM)

Little can be said of the trip that I have just finished other than, WoW. It was an amazing journey. The one month adventure helped me to see Thailand in a way I would never have done on my own. Going slow on a bike helped me to see every home, the faces of those that resided there and hear the birds that gather on their yards.

Physically challenging is an understatement. It was horrendous at times but never so bad that I thought I would want to stop the trip. The pain was manageable as I knew each night, I would have a good meal and perhaps treat myself to a massage.

Other than my foray into Bangkok for a massage with a night with the Ex boyfriend, no sex was had or thought of. The journey did help me do a great deal of thinking and after the visit with the ex we officially ended our over 4 year affair. It was hard for both of us and I only wish him good luck and happiness.

The trip allowed me to meet some of the coolest guys on earth. None of them judgmental and all of them easy going and fun. I can't think of one negative thing about any of the full-time riders. Not one bad thing. Other than the cute German/Thai Falang was hard for me to watch as he was just adorable. :)

The top of the mountain in Phuket coming into Patong there is a Chinese Temple. I always thought it was a restaurant but it is not. I always thought the drivers were blowing horns at each other but they are not. They are honking for the spirt of the temple. We met at the top to gather together to go into the city together. Over 30 local riders met us and rode with us today. The downhill was amazing and I had to hold my breaks tight to keep from going too fast for me. We made our way through the city with the massage girls yelling for us to stop and play. Onto the beach we went where we were met by the director for the Tourism Authority of Thailand. He is one of the sponsors and we gathered together to thank him and the other sponsors. The closing ceremony was moving as I started the ride with a bunch of strangers and hopefully have made some lifelong friends.

The ride has helped me to finally decide what I want to do with my money when I am dead and gone and I plan to start working on that immediately. In fact, I already have a few plans in motion and am very excited about what I want to do. If you guessed it is another ride for charity, you are on target. More details to come in 2009.

As for me, I grew a great deal as a rider and as a person. I did things I did not think were possible. I was the slowest person on the trip and the weakest rider but there is always going to be one. For me, it was never an issue. I enjoyed taking my time and seeing more of the country. I improved by leaps and bounds with my cycling ability and I can't wait now for the AidsLifecycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles that I do each year.

My journey from Chiang Mai to Phuket is over and it is time to heal and recover and play. My new number 1 boy is getting on a plane with his entire family to join me in my celebration and me to join them in theirs. I'll spend a few days with them showing them the Islands and the city and hopefully they will understand if I just send them on their own from time to time and not entertain the whole time just so I can relax by the pool.

I would like to thank Stef, GayButton and TLP for covering for me the last month. It is always great to have people who support your dreams and step up to the plate when called upon.

I also want to thank those of you who have sent notes of encouragement and PM's. It really has helped me get through this amazing journey.

Now, for anyone interested, please take a look at http://tourdethailand.com and consider next year's journey. It will be from December 8th - January 3. It is for charity but it is also a great deal of fun. And, if you want to see the Land of Smiles in a way few do, join the tour. If I can do it, there is no one who cannot do the same!

I apologize for this thread being so long and so many photos. I actually cut out over 2,000 of the pics I took. For those of you that have read this trip, thank you for reading and for those of you sitting in your local beer bar laughing at the fat falang who took an impossible adventure for a month, please raise your glass and toast the 1.1 million baht we raised for very needy Thais. For me, there was no better way to spend my holidays and to find the true meaning of Christmas spirit.

Cheers!

GT

post-2333-1231066191_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066200_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066207_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066218_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066229_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066246_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066259_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066267_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066277_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066286_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066296_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066307_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066319_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066329_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066340_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066351_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066362_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066373_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066383_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066395_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066407_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066417_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066430_thumb.jpg

post-2333-1231066443_thumb.jpg

Guest travelerjim

WOW GT!

What a Ride for Charity!!

Congratulations on your successful ride...and, Thanks again for sharing your experiences and

photos with us on the board...a real life experience!

Great idea for you to pursue your thoughts about a future charity and events...

Happy New Year!

tj

Guest fountainhall

Just wish to add my own congratulations and thanks. Reading of your adventure, sharing in it and seeing the people you met and places you visited, was almost like being on the tour with you - but without all the attendant aches, pains and discomforts. I have certainly learned a lot about the country that has been my home for 7 years and discovered several places I will definitely visit soon.

Are riders sponsored? I think many of those who have enjoyed your reports will gladly sponsor you next year.

Thanks TJ. Much appreciated!

Glad you enjoyed the read fountainhall. It was a lovely experience. Riders do get sponsors. Most do the Smile foundation as you can get a US tax deduction for it and most of the riders worked hard for the 2,000 US required to do the ride. Most of the riders based in Thailand gave to the Foundation for the Blind. Most of them were young men who work hard and would never be able to just write a check for 2,000 US. They got help from their friends, family and coworkers. 2 of the guys are full-time Starbucks employees and they were both working hard to raise money and they said many of their regular customers gave to them when they found out what they were doing.

I paid the money myself as I didn't know how far I would make it and didn't want to disappoint anyone who contributed to me riding. Next year, I may have a page up for making donations. I appreciate your willingness to contribute if I am able to ever get on a bike again. Currently, my ass is so sore that the thought of sitting on anything so small frightens me. That is why I am off to Brazil for a few months to be able to find things that are larger and more comfortable.

Guest luvthai

I admire your determination and congratulate you on completing the trip. Now that your in such good shape you no doubt will be on stage dancing andtrying to earn a little baht as well. Hehe.

(luvthai @ Jan 5 2009, 08:20 AM)

I admire your determination and congratulate you on completing the trip. Now that your in such good shape you no doubt will be on stage dancing andtrying to earn a little baht as well. Hehe.

Yes, that is my next charity event. I will do a show at the Corner Bar in Pattaya called the Jelly Belly Dance. Those that don't want to see it can give a donation to charity. If enough is raised, I won't take off my shirt. If no money is raised, I'll sit topless all night only in my Russian thong and white socks. Now, if this is not a good charity event, I don't know what is. smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsizlINa2B0

Guest Jason105

Ditto "WOW!!!"

My experience of charitable giving has been that the moment it becomes uncomfortable or in the least bit inconvenient, most folks decide that the effort of giving is too great.

Clearly, your commitment, not only to the bike ride, but to your own overcoming is an inspiration for all of us who make excuses about why we cannot or will not undertake anything outside of our own carefully proscribed comfort zones.

Your ride demonstrates how focusing our attention on the good that will come from our efforts somehow makes the discomfort bearable.

A truly impressive accomplishment.

All the best.

Guest laurence
(GayThailand @ Jan 5 2009, 09:22 AM)

Yes, that is my next charity event. I will do a show at the Corner Bar in Pattaya called the Jelly Belly Dance.

Gad! How much must one donate to put a stop to that show? Well, as long as you don't bare your butt maybe it would not be too bad.

GayThailand wrote, "That is why I am off to Brazil for a few months to be able to find things that are larger and more comfortable."

I have a better idea then Brazil. A young man 15 and his father biked across Australia last year to raise money for Big Brothers and Big Sisters. They biked 4500 km in 30 days and raised over 19 thousand for their charity. Are you game? Just think of the publicity for the msg board, and think about all the weight you can lose. What do you think? Can I sign you up? :lol:

http://www.perthtoparadise.com.au/

(luvthai @ Jan 5 2009, 11:03 AM)

As a back up act you can hire BadBoyBilly to do his chicken dance. Save the booking for jan 30th so I can see it.

I heard BadBoyBilly is fully booked. I could ask GayButton to do his famous Salsa? Or Jomtien to do his world renown pole dance.

(Jason105 @ Jan 6 2009, 03:22 AM)

Ditto "WOW!!!"

My experience of charitable giving has been that the moment it becomes uncomfortable or in the least bit inconvenient, most folks decide that the effort of giving is too great.

Clearly, your commitment, not only to the bike ride, but to your own overcoming is an inspiration for all of us who make excuses about why we cannot or will not undertake anything outside of our own carefully proscribed comfort zones.

Your ride demonstrates how focusing our attention on the good that will come from our efforts somehow makes the discomfort bearable.

A truly impressive accomplishment.

All the best.

Thank you very much Jason. Much appreciated. I figured out long ago I will never be a thin skinny man. I'll always have the lard ass that my family donated to me genetically. My overcoming was that despite that, I will do things that people think are not possible and yet I enjoy. I sat in a beer bar in Sunee watching the world go by for a few years. I enjoyed my time there but knew I wanted more. I still enjoy my time just sitting and relaxing but also yearn for things that make me struggle a bit physically. I hope to do more things like this in the future but maybe not for 30 days straight.

(laurence @ Jan 6 2009, 04:17 AM)

Gad! How much must one donate to put a stop to that show? Well, as long as you don't bare your butt maybe it would not be too bad.

LOL I don't think there is a venue in Pattaya large enough for that show.

(KhorTose @ Jan 6 2009, 08:32 AM)

GayThailand wrote, "That is why I am off to Brazil for a few months to be able to find things that are larger and more comfortable."

I have a better idea then Brazil.

My dear, just the words, "I have a better idea than Brazil" tells me you haven't been to Rio yet. Nothing could be better for me right now.

(GayThailand @ Jan 7 2009, 06:41 AM)

My dear, just the words, "I have a better idea than Brazil" tells me you haven't been to Rio yet. Nothing could be better for me right now.

True, I have not been to Rio and must bow to your superior knowledge. Well then thank you for the wonderfull trip report, as you have helped me see new parts of Thailand I knew nothing about. Enjoy yourself, and for us stay at homes who have to work, reports and pictures from RIO would be very nice.

A few updates:

1. My bike accident on Day 1 (and many other incidences I did not care to mention in this blog) did not cause any broken bone but it did cause a torn tendon which is going to require therapy. I went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital once I reached Pattaya and they said I should have had a MRI as soon as the accident occurred and that riding on it may have made it worst. I guess another stupid thing I did was not to go to a good local hospital and get an MRI but the small town we stopped in for the X-Ray I double even knew what an MRI was. :) So, I have a wrist brace and had to have some cortisone shots and therapy but in the end, I am optimistic it will be fine and no issues.

2. I had wanted to give an update on some of the hotels in different cities we stayed at. Most were relatively inexpensive and all had Internet except the first 2 on the list. I have tried to get local phone numbers where possible but if it doesn't work, google the hotel and get the information. If you have any questions about any of the hotels, please do not hesitate to contact me and I'll try to be as helpful as possible. I would recommend any of them but number 2 and number 20. The rest were comfortable and pleasant. For number 20, I would give it a Stay the Fuck Away if you have any brains in your head at all. :) So, here is the list.

1. Chiang Mai

Montri Hotel 053-211069-70

Address: 2-6 Rajdamnern Rd., Thaphae Gate Muang Chiang Mai Thailand

2. Lam Phun

Inthanon Riverside Resort 053-505166

132 Loy Kroh Road, Chang-Klan, Muang, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand

http://www.thai-tour.com/thai-tour/North/C...anon-riverside/

3. Lam Phang

Nakhon Thoen Hotel 054-291370

4. Tak

Viang Tak Hotel 055-512507-8

Viang Tak Riverside Hotel

236 Chomphol Road, Rahang

Muang,Tak 63000

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/thai/viangtak/

5. Sukhothai

Pailyn Hotel 055-613310-7

http://www.pailynhotel.com/

Pailyn Sukhothai Hotel

10/2 Moo 1, Jarodvithithong Road,

Sukhothai 64210

6.Kamphaeng Phet

Chakungrao Riverview Hotel 055-714900-8 http://www.chakungraoriverview.com/

7.Nakhonsawan

Baan Suan Resort 056-222369, 056-222313

Baan Suan Resort 1016/175-178 Moo. 9 T.

Nakhon Sawan

tok A.Meung Nakhon Sawan

Tel 0 5622 2369 , 0 5633 3400-3. Fax0 5633 339

8.Singburi

Grand Leo Hotel

036-522777, 036-522888

Grand Leo. Address : 1

98 Mu 7 Tambon Bang Man,

Amphoe Mueang,

Singburi. Room : 44.

Telephone : 0 3652 2777

9. Ayutthaya

Krungsri River Hotel 035-244333

http://www.krungsririver.com/

27/2 Moo 11

Rojana Rd.,

Kamang , Ayutthaya, 13000

Thailand

10. Supanburi

Khumsupan Hotel 035-522273-9

28/2 Meanphan Rd.,

Tambon Tha Phi Laeng,

Amphoe Muang,

Suphan Buri

11. Kanchanaburi

River Kwai Hotel 034-510111

Address: 284/15-16 Saeng Chuto Road, Kanchanaburi 71000 Thailand

12. Ratchaburi

Golden City Hotel 032-317140-2

Address: 76/1 Moo 5 Petch Kasem Rd.,Khok-Mor District Amphur Muang, Ratchaburi 70000 Thailand

13. Phetburi

Royal Diamond Hotel 032-411061-70

http://www.royaldiamondhotel.com/

14. Hua Hin

Baan Rabiang Dao 032-513031-2

12/11 Nabkehasn, Hua Hin, Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110

15. Prachuap Khiri Khan

Had Thong Hotel 032-601050-5

Hotel Had Thong

7 Su-Suk Rd., Amphoe Muang Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thailand

16. Bang Sa Pan

Keereewaree Seaside Villa 032-695511

http://www.keereewaree.com/famous.html

400 Moo 3, Thongchai, Bangsaphan, Prachuapkhirikhan 77180, Thailand TEL +6632 695 511 FAX +6632 695 512

17. Chumphon

Chumphon Cabana Resort 077-560245-7

http://www.cabana.co.th/

69 Moo 8 Thung Wua Laen Beach, Pathiu Chumphon 86230 Thailand

Tel: (66) 077 560-245-7

Fax: (66) 077 560-247

18. Lang Suan

Auychai Grand Hotel 077-545196-7

19. Suratthani

100 Islands Hotel 077-201150-8

19/6 Moo 3 Bypass Road | Makhamtia Muang, Surat Thani 84000, Thailand

20. Khao Sok

Nung House Resort 086-2831037

Address: 202 Moo 6, Klongsok, Phanom

Suratthani 84250 Thailand

Phone: (66) 077.395.147

Mobile: (66) 089.873.8805, 081.271.4089, 087.268.2574

21. Khaolak

Khaolak City Hotel 076-486192-3

22. Phuket

Eden Bangalow 076-340944

72/27 Rat-uthit Rd.

Patong

PS. don't forget the tour next year. http://www.tourdethailand.com You will have an amazing experience and the time of your life. Contact me if you want to meet up for drinks one night to discuss it. I'm in USA now but will be back in LOS sometime in a few months and would love to try to talk some others into doing this with me next year.

A nice promo was put up on YouTube for the ride. The riders will get a full-length movie sometime in 2009 and I am excited to see that. But, in the meantime, I thought some of you might like to see the personalities that rode with me.

BTW: the Tour de Issan and Tour de Thailand 2009 is coming up again so start getting ready for these great events. http://www.tourdethailand.com