• Members

I've been to Greece - to both places you mention - but not for 5 years. My view FWIW: I do NOT recommend a visit.

On my last visit, I travelled with a good friend/fuckbuddy who is fluent in modern Greek and has lived in Athens. I enjoyed the holiday with him but not the numerous disputes/arguments he had to wage with taxi-drivers (wrong routes, meter allegedly not working etc) and restauranteurs (inflated bills, drinks not ordered etc) . I found it strange as he is equable but, like me, he dislikes being ripped-off and the Greeks were arguing with someone who could obviously answer them fluently.

I'm a 'foodie' and I recall that the best dinner we ate was in a lesbian-cafe in Athens; it was also the cheapest meal. 

Santorini is spectacular but you really don't want to be there when hundreds of passengers are disgorged from visiting ships.

Just as a bit of push back on this, I went to Athens last year and did not have any problems with taxi drivers or restaurant bills.

To be fair, I just used a taxi from the airport, and the Metro after that. I ate a mostly fairly touristy places, the food was fine, wouldn't say foody, but I found the restaurants cheap compared to equivalent Barcelona or Rome.

My best meal was the  one night I made an effort to go to local favourite in the Psyrri area.

In fairness, I did have one bad experience in the Metro- a guy tried a nearly succeeded in pickpocketing me - be on the alert if you are there using it.

I hired a guy for  a massage for €20 and he gave me a great massage in my hotel room(his day job is as a masseur of a local football team). He actually ended  up fucking me as well, but didnt charge anything extra, as he said he liked it!

That experience was a bit of a lucky break, I will admit....... however, if you have any interest in history at all, the sights in Athens  - the Parthenon, Agora, Kerameikos cemetary etc, are fantastic.

I would strongly recommend to go.

Edited by forrestreid
grammart

• Members

I spent about 11 days in Athens last year with my boyfriend. We loved it! AMAZING food, incredible historic sites and a rich cafe culture. The high end area in the center of the city (I forget the name) has a really great walking street that runs uphill and boasts a number of super hip indoor/outdoor bar/restaurants and is busy all day and evening. Gay bars and clubs are plentiful and really fun. Def would love to return. Haven't been to Santorini but have heard it's beautiful.