brockmiller

Sao Paolo v. Río de Janeiro ... Newbie

• Members
12 hours ago, Badboy81 said:

Good for you....Living as long as you have and being as established in your career that you are high enough NOT to have to have to request days is a blessing...

Congrats again

Just to be clear, I’m 47. I don’t consider myself “independently wealthy” by US standards. If I felt that I could retire right now and live in the manner which I would like to, and just do something like write or blog or build homes with Habitat For Humanity, I certainly would do it. But I like my stuff (creature comforts).

Regarding tourism while traveling, I rarely if ever do touristy things when I travel. Especially in recent years, I try my best, whenever possible and safe, to live like and engage with locals. One will find that in doing so — as Alaskabear also suggests — one’s financial costs will be greatly reduced. My personal politics have always made me despise being viewed as a colonialist, and I try to make my travel interactions reflect that as much as possible. That being said, it’s hard to ignore the attraction and benefits of the US dollar in the places that I most enjoy. And frankly, being a person of color from and in America, it’s always interesting to experience the kinds of privilege that we don’t get when we are in America — ESPECIALLY in the current US climate. It’s almost as if going to other countries for longer and longer periods of time has become a survival technique for me. 

So, no, it’s not just about “hoeing” or seeing tourist traps for some of us. Regarding boredom,  I can easily get bored after just a week back in the States. 

• Members
9 hours ago, Alaskabear said:

I’ve made it my goal in life to see as much of the globe as possible.  I’m generally on the road for three to four months a year.   This doesn’t mean I’m rich (by US standards).  I work in Alaska during the summer months in remote villages.  Housing and food is paid for, hours are long and overtime is great and it’s generally 5-6 months of nonstop work with no days off.   This leads to a really fantastic savings rate and being able to invest.   It also brings up the possibility of not having to maintain a typical settled life in a city with rent, bills, car, etc.    so, long ago I chose life on the road since I figured this type of opportunity doesn’t happen that often.  And I’m too far down the rabbit hole to go back to a typical lifestyle anyhow.  I did take a two year hiatus after 11 years living out of my backpack but I’ll be back on the road this winter again thankfully.   

So what do I do when I travel?   I don’t treat it as a “vacation”.  It’s more just regular life.   Trying to be as frugal as possible.   Hoeing around as cheaply as possible (being late thirties I’m for sure getting to the edge of the free hookups with this body let me tell you....).   I sometimes settle into a city for a month to be a regular person just wandering around, reading books, taking photos.  Sometimes indulge in touristic things.  Other times just enjoying the street life and local guys.    That’s actually the biggest drive for me. Meeting a few incredible guys to befriend, and hopefully hook up with.   Those have by far been my best experiences.   And since my time isn’t constricted I don’t feel the sting of missing out.  Or the need to pack everything in before I have to go back to Alaska.    I spent a month in Havana a few years ago and had my daily routines.   I made incredible friends and I felt a lot more connected to that place than just passing through would bring.  

This winter I’m planning New Orleans for New Years.  Then down to Mexico City for a week to meet up with old friends and explore more of that endless metropolis.   Then off to Cuba for a month.  I really want to spend a couple of weeks exploring eastern Cuba.    Then I’m heading to Colombia where I’ll probably spend a month in Medellin and possibly take Spanish lessons.    After that I want to be in Salvador Bahia for Carnival.    Ideally I would start my Brazil trip in Manaus and finish in Iguazu via the coastline all the way down.   Who knows what will happen though.   I’m open for it all.   

And I’m planning on reports from all these stops as well.  

Alaska, my first visit to Brazil was Salvador as well. I went because for years, a friend of mine who is a tenured African-American Hidtory profesdor, would always regale his friends with his colorful tales about his experiences in the Bahia. 

I have never regretted this trip. I only wish so would’ve gone earlier.

• Members
1 hour ago, floridarob said:

I've known you since 2001.....never knew that you worked??!!??

The best kinds of people are those who can work hard AND play hard, and leave their work at the office. Shop talk during sexy time or play time is a joy kill as well as a boner killer! I have met some of the most accomplished and interesting people in some of the — shall we say — “most unusual” places! And didn’t find out who they were or what they did sometimes until VERY late during out acquaintance with each other.

• Members
8 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

Just to be clear, I’m 47. I don’t consider myself “independently wealthy” by US standards. If I felt that I could retire right now and live in the manner which I would like to, and just do something like write or blog or build homes with Habitat For Humanity, I certainly would do it. But I like my stuff (creature comforts).

Regarding tourism while traveling, I rarely if ever do touristy things when I travel. Especially in recent years, I try my best, whenever possible and safe, to live like and engage with locals. One will find that in doing so — as Alaskabear also suggests — one’s financial costs will be greatly reduced. My personal politics have always made me despise being viewed as a colonialist, and I try to make my travel interactions reflect that as much as possible. That being said, it’s hard to ignore the attraction and benefits of the US dollar in the places that I most enjoy. And frankly, being a person of color from and in America, it’s always interesting to experience the kinds of privilege that we don’t get when we are in America — ESPECIALLY in the current US climate. It’s almost as if going to other countries for longer and longer periods of time has become a survival technique for me. 

So, no, it’s not just about “hoeing” or seeing tourist traps for some of us. Regarding boredom,  I can easily get bored after just a week back in the States. 

I hope to meet you some day.