• Members

When I first got my Ipad, I signed up for international cellular access. It was pretty spotty and sometimes didn't work at all. Then I discovered or realized that if there was wi-fi, I didn't need cellular coverage on my Ipad. I want to use it for Google Translate. Do the saunas have wi-fi? If not, do you then use your phone for Google Translate?

I don't have an international plan on my cell phone, but heard that it can be obtained for $10 a day, which seems high. In Thailand once I bought a cheap cell phone and used that for Thai calls. They either didn't have Google Translate then or the phone was not a smart phone.

• Members

You can pre-load Portuguese and many other languages for offline use within Google Translate, whether tablet or phone. Just tap the downward arrow and it will convert to a checkmark when loaded.

Also can do it for iPod touch, but you need the smartphone if you want to use Whatsapp in conjunction.

Some of the saunas have wifi, not all. 

Porting an iPad around town puts a big bling target on your back. I only bring mine to Brasil because the larger screen makes navigating airbnb easier. 

• Members

Riobard has it right, the google translator can be fully downloaded locally onto your device so that it works without any internet connection. The only disadvantage of this setup is that google’s  suggestion when you type poorly is not available. 

But you still have Apple autocorrect, so you should be fine. 

• Members

Make sure that Google Translate will work offline on your phone before you travel and need to rely on it. For some strange reason, it won't work offline on my good android phone, but work offline on my cheaper android phone. Just a heads up. If anybody knows why it might not work on my good phone, please let me know!