ferrar

Act Like a Carioca When in Rio

• Members

No, this thread is not about security.

It is about partaking in the cultural activities that Rio has to offer!  Together with your guy.  

Define "guy" as you like.  Friend, boyfriend, GP.  It doesn't matter.  

One way to make a lasting impression on your guy - and  on yourself - would be to invite him/yourself to Maracana Stadium for a futebol match.  Cariocas live and breathe futebol.   And the season is winding down. 

Depending on his team, it is either fighting not to be downgraded to the second division, for a berth in the SulAmericana or Libertadores tournament next year, or the outright championship of the Brasileirao.

The odds are roughly 50% that his team is going to be Flamengo.  If so, it is the last of the three options.   Saturday will be decisive, with his second-place team fighting against first-place Palmeiras. In Maracana Stadium.   See you there.

• Members
7 hours ago, Lucky said:

Act like a Carioca? If only. Cariocas have a special quality that comes with birth and gets reinforced as they grow in the family and the neighborhoods. Hanging out with them is as close to acting like a Carioca as I can get!

If you didn't have the good fortune to be born a Carioca, then you're right, it is more of an ideal to aspire to.

But all is not necessarily lost.  I've found that the more time spent with certain Cariocas, the greater the potential for this ideal to rub off on you.

• Members

Secured tickets together with a sold-out crowd of over 60,000 for the decisive Flamengo - Palmeiras matchup in Maracana Stadium Saturday night.

In an exciting second half the  second-place home team eked out a tie with the leader, with the support of its fanatic fan base.  

Incredible energy at these matches.    Take a break from the usual routine.  Get out there, go accompanied, and immerse yourself in the culture.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:41 PM, floridarob said:

Funny , the guys that I've become close with and go places and do different things, Not one of them liked futebol....neither do I , I don't care for ANY sports and I'm from Boston, how weird is that?

Yeah same here. Gabriel, my GP du jour, is a Carioca through and through. And he absolutely hates futebol. Though yes, vast majority are fanatics.