TotallyOz

Crimson Tide: Can anyone stop them?

• Members

The formula for Oklahoma beating Alabama is simple:

1st quarter: break Tua's anckle

2nd quarter: jam 2 or 3 fingers deep into Hurst's eye socket

1st, 2ns, 3rd & 4th: Big twelve offense.

Back in the day John Vault used to keep a couple of brawny pulpwood cutters from Laurel County on scholarship. They didn't know squat about football but they could (& would) bust up just about anybody rather than go back home. Didn't matter if they were ejected, just needed them to get the job done.  And if you think Bear Bryant was above all that, you're delusional. Bear was the reason Vault gave for needing those pulpwood cutters on his payroll. Mexican stand-off so to speak.

Oh for the good old days when football was a game for manly men. :cheer:

Related image

• Members

Johnny Vaught was an amazing coach.  His forte was the odds.  On 4th down with 3 minutes to play, he would kick away expecting his defense and then offense to carry the day.  They did more often than not.

Who says college football players don't get paid?  Certainly not as much as the pro's but paid nonetheless.

Of course Alabama can be beaten.  Georgia could have done it and Clemson could do it.  Still I have so many clients and friends who are died in the wool Alabama fans I have to root for them (most of the time).

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I understand your point.  College players do not get paid commensurate with the risk to their physical and economic health. But, they do receive compensation of various sorts beyond their scholarship.  The campus rooms are very nice.  The food is beyond nice.  The "free"scholastic help is sometimes priceless.  The get out of class free cards are available.  The travel and fame are sometime priceless, other times less so.  Not to mention SEX, available for all "stars" and others.

My post does not mention illegal compensation.  I had a request to put a football player on my payroll with the explicit comment that he would never show up and never cost me a dime.  I demurred.  This kind of activity is rampant.

Best regards,

RA1

Indeed. They do get something out of it, no question. I just wish they'd get a fairer share of the revenue they generate. I have no idea how to do that equitably though. Never mind most of these folks probably wouldn't use money given to them particularly wisely. I was pretty financially savvy even in college and I wouldn't have trusted me with a big pot of cash!

You are probably better informed than I on the illegal payments too.   I do read often enough about illegal payments and the like for the kids, but have no real idea of the prevalence of such arrangements. (I'm not sure I'm really old enough to call these guys kids, but I _feel_ that old some days.)

• Members
22 minutes ago, RA1 said:

I had a request to put a football player on my payroll with the explicit comment that he would never show up and never cost me a dime.  I demurred.  This kind of activity is rampant.

:lol::lol::lol: Well, thank goodness we all know your anonymous football player is not Tua. His sole and only reason for bailing from Hawaii to Alabama was to escape his domineering mother. That's their story and they are sticking to it.:cheer:

8 hours ago, boiworship said:

Oh my! You football fans are so butch! I like the smooth swimmers and divers SO much more!

It shouldn't be either/or. Why not both? I've learned late in life to appreciate big, athletic men running into each other and trying to grab each other's balls. I never used to be a fan, but picked it up in my late 40s.

Football, however, is the only such team sport that has captured my attention to date....