Badboy81

Salvador Bahia 2019

19 hours ago, floridarob said:

Just came from BKK,

Never have ANY issues with wifi in BKK from the numerous times I have been there, MBK has free wifi....all the major malls and stores and restaurants...all the the massages places have wifi, hell even Burgers Kings in BKK give you a slip of paper with wifi code on it...

I think the only place I may have wifi issues is Chatuchuk but they have tons of taxis and motorbikes waiting at all the entrances

The POINT I was making it that I have never been to a city that has as terrible wifi connection as Salvador...The End....

A few quick notes-

I think I prefer Clube 11 based on its location....

Walking distance to Lapa and Pelourinho so when you finish, you still have options on things to do...

My first time going I did not pay attention to the direction the uber driver took me, the 2nd time he went through Lapa and I figured out exactly where I was so I was able to walk back in the area once I was done at the sauna...

The buses are also very easy to get use to get around the city as long as you know the locations posted on the buses and exactly the area you are staying in or trying to get to...

If you just like spending money, uber is convenient and all over the place AND pretty cheap

• Members

I am phoning in a small tip ... From Barra area, Metro can work reasonably well to get to Fox. Embark Lapa stn, disembark Rodoviaria stn, not to be confused with Rodoviaria-Iguatemi bus stn (not Metro). Then it's hoofing, cabbing, or Übering the 1.9 kms s/e to Fox. Saves a lot on ride fare or time on bus routes. Actually, the north subway route from Lapa takes you one stop to Campo da Polvora stn, a few blocks and few minutes walk to Clube 11. I learned all this following my trip there, so hope one day to try out these transport options, including possibly getting into town from the airport via Metro. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members
10 hours ago, Riobard said:

I am phoning in a small tip ... From Barra area, Metro can work reasonably well to get to Fox. Embark Lapa stn, disembark Rodoviaria stn, not to be confused with Rodoviaria-Iguatemi bus stn (not Metro). Then it's hoofing, cabbing, or Übering the 1.9 kms s/e to Fox. Saves a lot on ride fare or time on bus routes. Actually, the north subway route from Lapa takes you one stop to Campo da Polvora stn, a few blocks and few minutes walk to Clube 11. I learned all this following my trip there, so hope one day to try out these transport options, including possibly getting into town from the airport via Metro. 

Just to be clear, the Rodavaria station is the closest station to Pituba and Sauna Fox And that’s about a 20 minute walk. In no traffic (HA!), you can almost drive from Clube 11 to Fox in 20 minutes.

Yrs, the Campo de Polvora station is about a 2-4 minute walk to Clube 11, no biggie at all.

But the whole station to station, door to door trip from both saunas by subway is about 45 minutes. In light traffic, that could be double the time of an Uber or cab. If you’re in a rush, that matters. If you don’t mind braving a brisk city walk and have the time, it’s very suitable. 

By bus, from point to point  it’s maybe a little less than an hour.

That’s just way too much valuable time for me on a short trip, but for an extended stay, I don’t mind taking those long rides. But as with everything, your miles (and budget) may vary.

• Members

Taking an Uber from Club 11 to Fox would take me about 15 minutes. What is the point of using public transportation to save a few rials when you have to spend a lot of time traveling to the sauna instead of inside the sauna?

I am not a frequent traveler, so I do not mind paying for roaming when I do travel and need the wifi. My Verizon plan charges me 10 bucks per day for unlimited wifi, only on the days I use the service.

• Members
2 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

Taking an Uber from Club 11 to Fox would take me about 15 minutes. What is the point of using public transportation to save a few reais when you have to spend a lot of time traveling to the sauna instead of inside the sauna?

Good question - - - - - - 

• Members

There are several transportation options, aren't there? Now they are pretty much outlined here. I am not saying "do what I would do". In fact, don't. If you do catch me saying "Do this", please do protest.

I took taxis there previously for longer distances. I walked from Pelhourinho lodgings up a grade and down to 11 during last light but not after dark. [Insert 1st critique here].

Now I have the Über app and a Metro map for future elective use. I do not mind quiet contemplation getting from A to B, or reading a few pages of a book, easily done on the tube. I do admittedly enjoy senior public transport privileges non-existent at home, but I do not have a nutty relationship to money either. I do think that I spent a bit much on that 4-week trip 3 years back, 5-figures CDN. Five of the days in Salvador. Now a little more conservationist, or at least saving a bit here and there is psychologically soothing if not otherwise economically meaningful. 

I don't need to get into a cock-fight (current Mérida YUCATAN neighbour has 4 fighting roosters, get to work that in here) about how to travel ... the additional general points made here are not new, repeated a lot perhaps due to so many decision variables. In fact, I had described the Metro option months ago and I am myself culpable in relation to repetition.

I don't have an anxiety disorder related to getting to a whorehouse a few minutes later ;), since being somewhat of a fatalist and leaning towards lurking, and the OP stated his preference for not getting too tangential or nit-picky, which now I am snubbing according to our predominant tribal customs, within which I have moderate commitment for fitting. But sufficiently insufficient to follow this very fascinating thread further while a glorious tropical Sunday beckons, offering respite from blizzards at home. 

Suum cuique. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members
57 minutes ago, Riobard said:

snip 

I don't have an anxiety disorder related to getting to a whorehouse a few minutes later ;), since being somewhat of a fatalist and leaning towards lurking, and the OP stated his preference for not getting too tangential or nit-picky, which now I am snubbing according to our predominant tribal customs, within which I have moderate commitment for fitting.

Fifty-nine words in this one sentence of your post.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Members

A thousand pardons, badboy ... I am tying up my loose thread here, shutting down my part in taking troll-bait. As you know, there are those with endless staying power. On balance, I would/should poke my eyes out with a stick if I really had the same stamina. 

• Members
6 minutes ago, Riobard said:

A thousand pardons, badboy ... I am tying up my loose thread here, shutting down my part in taking troll-bait. As you know, there are those with endless staying power. On balance, I would/should poke my eyes out with a stick if I really had the same stamina. 

Getting around by uber is extremely cheap but can take some time depending on the time of day...

I took an uber to Clube 11 on Friday around 4:30...Huge mistake BUT it did give me time to figure my way around

I was able to leave walking there to go to the Lapa area before everything shut down and then walk down the Pelourinho area..I didnt mind walking and then just took a bus back to Barra...

The city is pretty easy to get around because most of the points of interest including the saunas are all within a 30 minute area....even with traffic...

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the main POI for many would be Porto Da Barra (beach area with tons of restaurants, hotels...very safe), Rio Vermelho (late night parties and clubs...main place for the festival that I got to enjoy...also safe, Lapa ..Lapa is basically a huge shopping area where you can get ANYTHING and everything....they do shut down at night when it gets dark...there is at least one sex store in this area that I did not check out(close to Clube 11) and the Pelourinho...historical district....good during the day because its less crowded....during the night, there are plenty of restaurants and places to get drinks and shop for trinkets...the famous Elevator and Mercado Modelo is also in this area...

I had a ton of messages from guys in Salvador when I got back to MIA...go figure...

Looking at flights to go back later this year...will definitely be going back next year in February...

I enjoyed Salvador but in a completely different way than I enjoy Rio...

I definitely have/had more sex in Rio...more gay eye candy and the food is decent..the beaches are also completely different versus in Barra...
Copa and Ipanema have TONS of beautiful eye candy versus me seeing a few hot daddies while I was in Barra

I did see some beautiful guys while at the festival but they were mainly with their girlfriends/wives'

Even the caliber of guys is completely different with a few guys being on the scale of what is more of the norms in Rio....

I was able to relax more in Salvador, much more laid back...I didnt feel the need to have to go to the saunas like I do in Rio for fear of missing that one hot guy I havent seen before  (or maybe its getting to fuck so many hot guys I wouldnt be able to do so here in Atlanta...

Overall I will be going back to Salvador at least once of twice a year....a long weekend is all I needed...

• Members
3 hours ago, Badboy81 said:

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the main POI for many would be Porto Da Barra (beach area with tons of restaurants, hotels...very safe)

I’ll correct you slightly. Porto da Barra and its related Praia are on the Av. Sete de Setembro side going north and south. It connects at the bottom to Farol da Barra (lighthouse) at the corner, and the Farol area and its related Praia runs east-west on Av. Oceânica. Two different beaches and two different areas, but both have lots of restaurants and bars (Farol da Barra area has more). It’s a matter of preference but I like the Porto side better.

• Members
2 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

I’ll correct you slightly. Porto da Barra and its related Praia are on the Av. Sete de Setembro side going north and south. It connects at the bottom to Farol da Barra (lighthouse) at the corner, and the Farol area and its related Praia runs east-west on Av. Oceânica. Two different beaches and two different areas, but both have lots of restaurants and bars (Farol da Barra area has more). It’s a matter of preference but I like the Porto side better.

In the Porto side is where Praia da Barra is located, by the North end. This beach is the best one in the city, and I saw quite a good number of eye candy when I was there. But you know, I may see beauty where others don't and viceversa.

• Members
1 hour ago, Latbear4blk said:

In the Porto side is where Praia da Barra is located, by the North end. This beach is the best one in the city, and I saw quite a good number of eye candy when I was there. But you know, I may see beauty where others don't and viceversa.

Again, for clarification:

There are two beaches and two beach-side neighborhoods in the Barra section of Salvador.

Praia do Porto da Barra is the name of the beach on the port (“porto”) side of Barra, that runs north and south, parallel to Av. Sete de Setembro. It is marked by the two prominent historic forts that the beach area sits between. The area in Barra around this beachside and along this street may often be referred to Porto da Barra.

Praia do Farol da Barra is the name of the beach on the lighthouse (“farol”) side, that runs east and west, runs parallel to Av. Oceânica. It is marked by the lighthouse on the east end / corner and keeps running west of it until the hill with the small Christ statue. The area in Barra around this beachside and along this street may often be referred to Farol da Barra.

When thinking of a capital L, Porto da Barra is the vertical part, the lighthouse is the converging point, and Farol da Barra is the horizontal part.

There is no beach in Salvador only called “Praia da Barra”. I don’t want new people to get confused when booking or trying to communicate.

For the purposes of this group, the Praia do Porto da Barra beach is the most dense, is the most crowded, and towards its most northern end, is more “gay”.