Latbear4blk

book recommendation: The Descent of Man

• Members
Have you heard of Grayson Perry? If you have not, I advise you to do some research. I just bought his book, The Descent of Man, and highly recommend it. A bright and insightful queer man questioning traditional understandings of manhood. I am just started but it is captivating from the very first pages.
As a side note, it is the first book that I buy in a long time, instead of downloading it to my Kinder. It is a pleasure reading a paper copy. Only 12 bucks in amazon.
41rgIQqa1xL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

grayson-1.jpg?w968h681

perry-liste2.jpg?itok=1w0Ck2dD

a7e204228c611d561e33453a599fc205.jpg

Post reply Preview

• Members
2 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

LOL. Open your mind, drag phobic. You will be obviously surprised if you have that kind of prejudices. 

So now I am drag phobic? I'm the one who loved the pictures in the NY Post comparing the guys to their before and after pictures. The guy who wrote the book wears silly outfits, childish outfits. That's not exactly drag. I think he shows poor judgment in his clothes, and that would deter me from spending money on his book!

1 hour ago, caeron said:

While I consider cross-dressers and the like allies, I don't typically think of them as queer.

According to his wikipedia page he's married to a woman, and has a daughter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayson_Perry

They are publicly enacting a private part of themselves that is female, not male.

What more do you want?

37 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

They are publicly enacting a private part of themselves that is female, not male.

What more do you want?

Some guys like wearing women's clothes. That doesn't make part of them female. It means they reject stupid rules on what they wear. Everybody who breaks convention isn't automatically queer to me.

It could possibly mean they're non-binary, but it would be that which makes them queer in my eyes, not the choice of clothing. If you know something more about this gentleman than I read in his wikipedia entry, by all means share. Nothing in it suggested to me that he wasn't a normal hetero guy who liked to dress up.