TotallyOz

Democratic Debates

• Members

I thought the "show" was a disaster. The pre-show even more painful. Had to fast-forward through most of it.

I'm totally sick of the talking heads, even though I have respect for a few. The media and its race for profit and ratings can be a sickening lot. Their hunger for never-ending sound bites and anything salacious is tiresome. No wonder so many in the body politic hate the media. They often beg to be hated.

I'm sick of the "SHOW" aspect of these debates, the over-inflated who-has-the-biggest-dick production value. These debates are nothing more substantial than a beauty pageant. I'd rather watch a town hall with questions from the audience. I'd rather see something that offers real and serious substance. I want to hear more about policy and less about posturing and preening.

Chuck Todd needs to be stripped naked and his ass whipped. His question to Tulsi Gabbard about old comments regarding gays was USELESS. A waste of our valuable time.

No offense to the Trans community, but I don't want to hear one word about them at these debates. If the Dems set their focus on Trans, or any other sexualized minority groups, they will LOSE against Trump. For sure. I hate the acronym LGBTTQQIAAP. Hate it. That cheesy play on words does not accurately describe me. I don't want to be lumped into some perceived group of wierdos.

That said...

Elizabeth Warren performed better than I expected. She is still not at the top of her game, but she has improved. Her post-debate interview with Chris Matthews revealed her intimate take on corruption in Washington. If she can hone this message and remain sounding like an ordinary, folksy citizen, she could continue to rise. I'm just not sure she has what it takes to dethrone Trump.

Cory Booker had a decent night. But America is not ready for another Black president. Nobody cares about the crack shootings in his Newark neighborhood. Nobody in America cares about Newark except Cory.

Julian Castro had a good night, but he WILL NOT be elected president of the United States. Pipe dream. He's way too short and he looks greasy on television with his slicked black hair.

Beyond those three, it was a bad night for everyone else.

Beto O'Rourke fell very flat. A flat tire. No energy. Speaking long sentences in Spanish will not get you elected president in this country. It's no different than Jon Huntsman speaking Chinese on the debate stage. An erection killer. Beto offered no new words. He was scripted, using stump stuff that loses impact upon constant repeating.

Bill de Blasio was obnoxious. He's got his own bully style that's a serious turn off. It's easy to see why most New Yorkers simply don't admire the guy.

John Delaney needs to get out.

Tulsi Gabbard did not elevate her status.

Jay Inslee got the biggest applause, saying that Trump is America's greatest threat. He's got a strong voice on climate change, and we need that.

Tim Ryan was useless and bad.

Amy Klobuchar puts me to sleep. The tone of her voice is irritating. She has no talent to motivate or inspire people. She comes off like a retired nun running for mayor of a small town.

• Members

I do not understand how anyone can like Beto. I think his performance last night was a disaster, avoiding to answer questions to vomit his memorized talking points and forcing his Spanish versicles. Other debaters saw he was an easy and poorly prepared target and scored points by picking on him. I do not understand either how anyone can like Tulsi, she sounds completely fake to me, and also avoided answering direct and specific questions.

I think Warren did good, just that. She was last night front runner and left that stage intact and reassuring his knowledge and preparedness. Some people is saying that she avoided to respond the question about confiscating guns, but I disagree. She clearly responded that she is not going to buy shit about it without further research. Just one more prove that her policies are well rooted on science.

Castro did surprised me in a good way and I think he added several point to his brand, although I do not think he has any chances to anything better than the vice-presidency. If he is very lucky.

The rest f the group will be soon forgotten. Perhaps. I am not going to pretend to actually understand their chances in after Trump universe.

• Members

I liked Harris a lot. She is someone to watch. I found Gillibrand so annoying, yelling to talk over others and then, saying nothing. Pete left everyone speechless when he accepted that the lack of diversity of his police dpt was his failure. He may keep going up in the polls. Biden and Sanders did ok. Everyone else is an afterthought. 

With the exception of Ms. Williamson, what a heck. She caught my attention at the beginning, when she said that America does not have a health but a sickness care system. From that point she did not stop going down, I mean really down, with crazy fringe comments. Her closing will make a SNL sketch. I had never heard of her before, and hopefully I will not hear again from her again.

• Members
4 hours ago, boiworship said:

Joe got destroyed by Harris. He’s clearly showing his age and drifting, almost like Reagan in 1984. 

I agree. However it looks likes his popularity was not really affected, not even with Black voters, according to some early polling.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:25 PM, Latbear4blk said:

I agree. However it looks likes his popularity was not really affected, not even with Black voters, according to some early polling.

I think we wait and see a little bit. The preferences of old vs young black voters skew very differently. From my firsthand  convos in various Uber/Lyft rides, among a number of other places where these things are vigourusly debated.