Connery43

Proof of Health Insurance No Longer Required for Brasil

2 hours ago, floridarob said:

considering their high number of cases, still safe bet to buy, just in case....

Agreed that is would be wise to purchase travel insurance covering primary medical with medical evacuation including COVID19 when traveling to Brazil.  The high incidence rate alone, which is is understated, and the fact of that you don't want to be dealing with hospitals in Brazil if you have complications.  It will cost less than $50 for 2-3 weeks of coverage, which is inexpensive in my opinion.

• Members

Be aware that this insurance most likely is not evacuation insurance which is usually a separate policy. I got evacuated out of Brazil once after an accident there and it was great insurance to have. Most evacuation policies specifically state that they will not evacuate you if you actively have Covid however--so if you get sick and require hospitalization you would be stuck in a Brazilian hospital until no longer infectious.

1 hour ago, asdsrfr said:

By private jet

I've been buying travel ins for the last few years....and I always wondered about that. In the fine print, it says if the care isn't available where you are, they'll evacuate to your country. So the accident was pretty bad or was it safer to take care of at your country?

• Members
On 10/9/2020 at 9:13 PM, Connery43 said:

Although no longer required, I can't expect Blue Shield of California to cover anything that happens outside the US. Therefore my questions stands.....anyone have any experience with good Travel Health Insurance?

• Members
35 minutes ago, Connery43 said:

Although no longer required, I can't expect Blue Shield of California to cover anything that happens outside the US. Therefore my questions stands.....anyone have any experience with good Travel Health Insurance?

Actually you should check with your insurer. Many have a provision where they cover you outside of the USA. When I was injured and in the hospital in Fortaleza I paid the hospital directly on my credit card before I left and Blue Shield reimbursed me 100%--but there are different policies managed by Blue Shield so check and get it in writing! For sure medicare will not cover you outside the USA.

7 hours ago, asdsrfr said:

For sure medicare will not cover you outside the USA.

United Healthcare has supplement plans , some that do cover emergencies outside of the USA.

For Covid coverage I've bought my travel policies on  squaremouth.com they will give you quotes from many different insurers and different coverages as will insuremytrip.com. My 1st pref is squaremouth.

• Members
8 hours ago, asdsrfr said:

Actually you should check with your insurer. Many have a provision where they cover you outside of the USA. When I was injured and in the hospital in Fortaleza I paid the hospital directly on my credit card before I left and Blue Shield reimbursed me 100%--but there are different policies managed by Blue Shield so check and get it in writing! For sure medicare will not cover you outside the USA.

Thank you!!

• Members

My place of work knows I had plans on visiting Brazil and that I canceled my trip.  I recently put in for vacation to take off most of November and all of December.  My HR department had a cow sending me COVID related forms to fill out for travel and promise of precautions.  They calmed down when I told them I am not leaving the area.

I'd go to Brazil now but returning is what worries me.  

I'm glad I won't have to buy added insurance when I do return.