RockHardNYC

Just in case you think you have problems...

• Members

Britney Spears’s Father Remains in Control of Conservatorship, for Now

"At a hearing on Tuesday, a lawyer for the pop singer said that Spears was afraid of her father and would not perform while he was charge of her career."

01.jpg.43e709859c58d1f9dc1fe2016265f8ed.jpg

I'm not too familiar with this story, but when families fight over money and control, there isn't anything more destructive. I'm really surprised that the father plays such a responsible role at this point, and the courts seem to be supporting him. The baggage here must run very deep, and it's never fun to have that baggage air in public.

Britney Spears may have some talent, but I never saw much depth to her singing career. I totally understand how she became famous and wealthy, but I never pegged her as someone whose talent might grow with enduring substance. It's not easy to go from a Disney player to a pop-icon recording artist, and it's even harder to sustain that career for a very long time, especially if you don't write your own material. And at a certain age, if you don't grow with your childhood fan base, constantly feeding them with product they're willing to purchase, what do you do when time runs out?

There's good reason to suspect mental health issues at play here, which complicates this story even further. What a toxic brew this appears to be. It's difficult not to feel for Brittany.

The article states that Britney will no longer work as long as her father is in charge. She must have enough money to support a certain lifestyle for the rest of her life. Good for her. 

• Members
On 11/13/2020 at 7:47 PM, TotallyOz said:

I have always liked her.

She has (had) millions of fans. Some industry folk have told me she puts on a great concert show. I've heard the same is true of Madonna and Janet Jackson. I've worked with Madonna and Janet, but I never had any desire to see either one in concert, even though I fully recognize and appreciate the showmanship talent of each.

The Vevo thumbnail photo says it all. Brittany was very doll-like in an all-American, girl-next-door way. Lollipops, cotton candy, and Midwest wholesomeness. Then she shaved her head.

Since I was curious, I looked into this a bit further. Someone mentioned bipolar as a rumor. I think her father claims, if he wasn't involved, she would lose everything to the predators she attracts. I don't want to imagine what it feels like to be a father to a famous, wealthy child, and have that child suffer from mental health issues. How far should a parent's love go when the child is an adult? Does Brittany have the right to destroy her life or spend her wealth on miscreants, even if she is not mentally healthy?

On 11/13/2020 at 9:22 PM, BigK said:

Then again, she seems well enough to know to put her foot down in protest of her father being named her guardian.

There definitely seems to be some fight in her. However, I am friends with a doctor whose bipolar teenage son attacked her shortly after he was diagnosed. My friend is one of the sweetest, most humble, most loving human beings. In a psychotic rage, her son dragged her to the ground and pulled out her hair. The act of violence erupted out of thin air. Both of her sons had a normal, loving childhood. And then all hell broke loose.

Mental health issues are no laughing matter. I was always captivated by the Brain Series that Charlie Rose produced. This is an area of medicine that is still in its infancy.

• Members
On 11/27/2020 at 4:20 PM, BigK said:

I guess I'm just naturally suspicious when there is a lot of money involved.

Since I believe money is the root of most evil, I'm naturally suspicious as well.

Money, especially a lot of it, can complicate relationships, for sure. I experience this within my own family. The dynamics have always fascinated me, since none of my relatives were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Most of my family think I'm Bill Gates wealthy. They have no clue what it feels like to have one million dollars, but who doesn't enjoy a good fantasy? Observing the way some of them treat me and my son at times is always entertaining.

I also have a cousin who, for most of her adult life, was caregiver to a mentally ill brother. She loved her older brother so much, she felt it was her duty to protect him, especially after her parent's died. She sacrificed most of her adult life to care for and protect him. And she cared for him until he died in his 50's. It's a tragic story, and I view her as saintly for what she did. If he had somehow been worth millions, I don't think she would have behaved differently, but other members of the family would have put forth all kinds of accusations against her.

Nobody really knows the truth about what goes on inside a family. The details get murky and complicated quite easily. And since gossip mongers love to speculate, stories created out of thin air can control narratives and become seriously destructive.

• Members

Justin Timberlake Apologizes to Britney Spears and Janet Jackson

Fascinating mea culpa from Justin Timberlake. Many are whispering he had no choice after the documentary came out. Had it not been for the doc, would he have said anything? PR remorse?

Such cynical times are these. But I'm always happy to hear when someone apologizes.