RockHardNYC

Vogue and Kamala.

• Members

The hoopla is so laughable. Kamala's "team" is not happy with Anna's photo pick. Then perhaps the "team" should have produced a contract, granting Kamala final selection approval. This isn't rocket science. But I have to laugh. The team is upset with Vogue, when they should be more upset with their naivete. How typical of incompetence to blame others for deflection. That sure sounds familiar.

In the end, no one will care. But Vogue sure robbed Kamala (and themselves) of a photo-making piece of history. Both photos they published aren't that fabulous. And that's too bad. I would love to offer the photos here, but this board, unfortunately, is going through some not-so-fun changes.

The best part of the hoopla, apparently Trump and Melania are furious. Not one fashion magazine requested Melania in the past four years, while she was playing First Lady.

Edited by RockHardNYC

• Members

Oh fuck it. I think Oz said nude photos weren't allowed, but I have no idea what nude vs. copyright mean. Until the site owner can explain his version of Fair Use, I guess all we can do is post and hope.

At any rate, these images are not copied. They are linked. I have not researched how "linking" effects copyright law.

11Kamala-Vogue-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90

The photo that Vogue picked but Kamala's team did not prefer.

11Kamala-Vogue-02-superJumbo.jpg?quality

The photo that Kamala's team thought was the cover choice.

Personally, I think both are fine, but there's nothing outstanding here. I simply hate the styling/art direction. I'm not a fan of black clothing on a fashion magazine cover. And other than some emotional link to her college days, I think the use of fabric in the top photo lacks style and substance. What's the point of standing on curtains?

In the bottom photo, it looks to me like she's standing in front of a draped casket at a morgue. The suit color is perfect for her, but I would hardly call this a "fashion" cover photo.

• Members
10 hours ago, pazubane said:

Now it has became a big deal. 

It's only a big deal in the media circus and blogoshpere. Between Trump and Covid; Vogue, for sure, is a welcome distraction for a good laugh. Nobody cares about fashion right now except for clothing designers wondering where their next paycheck is coming from.

The magazine business model is dying, and Wintour is from the Warhol-Trump school: There's no such thing as bad publicity. Kamala's Vogue issue isn't out yet, but the name and leaked photos are plastered everywhere on the internet. What more could a magazine want?

Of course, Anna has an ego, and she doesn't enjoy being criticized. She's already endured plenty of uncomfortable questions regarding her treatment of non-white employees, not to mention the absence of Black models on the cover. In the meantime, nobody wants to say out loud: Black models on the cover of American fashion magazines DON'T SELL. The name of the game in fashion is SALES.

What fascinates me is the missed opportunity. Kamala Harris is no ordinary Black-Indian politician. IMO, she deserved special attention for her first Vogue cover. To me, that means you don't simply throw her to some 26-year-old "Black" photographer whom nobody regards as particularly masterful.

Although, in fairness, Vogue's lead time is typically three months. There's no way they invested in this shoot before anyone was sure of the outcome. To get a February cover in the can by now, they had to scramble and work with Kamala's insane schedule. And with Grace Coddington long gone, is there any artist with taste and history brains over there?

A few corners of social media - you know, the cancel culture - are declaring war against Vogue, demanding that Kamala should never pose again for Vogue. LOL. I won't be holding my breath that will ever happen. It's every girl's dream to be on the cover of Vogue.

Edited by RockHardNYC