RockHardNYC

Ellen DeGeneres Loses 1 Million Viewers

• Members
8 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I have never understood the American love affair with daytime chat shows involving a celebrity host and a panoply of guests

There are millions of American women who are at home raising their children, desperate for a distraction. It's not a new phenomenon, but the numbers have been falling for a very long time. They are mostly Ellen's audience.

American consumers have always been fascinated with show biz celebrity. People in our culture love to fantasize about an exciting, high-octane lifestyle, where one is rich and famous. It is very much a driving force in our culture, it allowed Trump to become what he is. The monster feeds the beast. And there are plenty of people living off this gravy train. Daytime talk shows replaced soap operas, which had a very lucrative and lengthy run.

While I have never watched a single show from beginning to end, I have seen many moments. Ellen has a special talk-show gift. She knows how to broach subjects in a way that few others can replicate. She gets certain guests to talk about things they might not discuss with someone else. Ellen created her own lane in the talk show industry, and I think she deserves a ton of credit for achieving massive success. Great work for a lesbian women who was once banned from television work.

I think I would have said blacklisted rather than banned, but the effect was the same. She was too hot to touch for quite a while and couldn't get work. She paid a very real price for coming out, and helped in the process make it easier for everyone. Ellen's experience, I'd imagine, is why a lot of other celebs DIDN'T come out. Who else wanted that?

I'm not going to write her hagiography or suggest she's not without flaws, but I think she deserves a little more consideration than she's getting.

• Members
2 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

Jury’s still out on The O.

I think that jury hung themselves, waiting for an Out&Loud celebration (and a free car).

Gay life in the Black community is its own weird thing. The closet and DL take on new meaning and psychosis. The stilted behavior does fascinate me, but I know too many Black gays who lead confused and tormented lives. For a variety of reasons, many cannot find a way to safely come out. Way too much pain and baggage for me to carry.

• Members
On 4/7/2021 at 10:04 AM, RockHardNYC said:

I think that jury hung themselves, waiting for an Out&Loud celebration (and a free car).

Gay life in the Black community is its own weird thing. The closet and DL take on new meaning and psychosis. The stilted behavior does fascinate me, but I know too many Black gays who lead confused and tormented lives. For a variety of reasons, many cannot find a way to safely come out. Way too much pain and baggage for me to carry.

That’s a myth. The percentages of closeted white gays in non-urban environments are just as high as they are in the black community. It’s just that they don’t get the toxic label of “DL” tagged on them. That phrase actually went out in the early 2000s, by the way. 

• Members
On 4/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, SolaceSoul said:

That’s a myth.

LOL. Tell that to the guy who sucked my cock in the steam room but asked me not to acknowledge him on the gym floor.

On 4/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, SolaceSoul said:

That phrase actually went out in the early 2000s, by the way.

Another LOL. Perhaps the phrase "went out" when Craigslist stopped posting guy-meets-guy personals. Every other BBC ad had DL in it.

• Members

Looks like Ellen decided to hang up the towel. I'm not surprised. Too bad her show has to go out with a stain attached. Can't fault her for wanting to do something more challenging. IMO, she just should have come straight with that from the get-go.

Ellen DeGeneres Will End Her Talk Show Next Year

I'm with her. 19 fucking years is too damn long to do the same thing. I did nearly that for the money and while I made bank, it drove me mad.

She admits she lost focus on the show and maybe that's why some of this happened, but who needs the bullshit of all this when you have trucks full of money already?

• Members
12 hours ago, caeron said:

but who needs the bullshit of all this when you have trucks full of money already?

When you care about the people who work hard for you, especially after putting in all those years, it's very difficult to tell them it's over. After all, when her show closes, a lot of people will be out of a job. Employers like Ellen are not a dime a dozen. I'm sure many felt the job was a dream come true.

• Members
On 5/12/2021 at 5:07 PM, RockHardNYC said:

LOL. Tell that to the guy who sucked my cock in the steam room but asked me not to acknowledge him on the gym floor.

All that says is he is too embarrassed to be seen with you in public. Even horny straight men have sex with fat women that they don’t want people to know they’ve fucked. They’re called booty calls. 

• Members
2 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

All that says is he is too embarrassed to be seen with you in public.

LOL. Yes, exactly...a tall, handsome, masculine White guy, whom most strangers think is straight. Yes, he's got plenty of reason to be embarrassed. The closet is rarely pretty, no matter what your skin color.

• Members
1 hour ago, RockHardNYC said:

..a tall, handsome, masculine White guy, whom most strangers think is straight.

LMAO! 

You realize people have seen you before, right?

Welp, you ARE tall and you ARE white.  2 out of 5 ain’t all that bad!