GPAPA

how long does RT-PCR test take, can one night be enough?

My question is as stated in the title. I've booked a flight that will arrive in bangkok at 11:45pm at night. I assume I won't be able to pass all immigration stuff within an hour or so.

And I'll have to check out my one night "quarantine free room" at noon the other day. I'm generally curious about how long does PCR tests take in general since I read online they could take hours if not a day to complete, and I'll have less than 10 hours after I actually arrive at my hotel and start my testing process.

From what people were reporting in the Phuket sandbox it was generally less than 6 hours from test to result, but Bangkok might be another story.

I think until a few weeks have passed and we see it working in action we won't know.

If you're landing next week and don't have time to wait to find out, i would prepare for the possibility of extending to a second night or see what fees might apply to late check-out after 12pm.

to be safe maybe pick a hotel that has partnered with a major hospital for testing and is close in proximity, confirm with the hotel they will be able to test at midnight or 1am when you arrive, find out what the latest checkout possible is before you need to book a second night.

I will arrive at the airport at just after 12:00

According to my hotel, I will be tested at 18:00 and the result will be around 14:00 the next day.  

I have since seen one document which says the result must be issued within 6 hours of receiving the sample, which I presume is receiving at the test centre.  

My hotel has quite good reviews as a quarantine hotel, but if I see evidence of customers getting a faster turnaround at other Bangkok hotels I'll either ask the hotel to improve this, or exercise my free cancellation rights. 

According to Richard Barrow, his quarantine hotel will operate the following schedule:

* Check-in between 8:00am and 11:00pm and you will get your results before noon the next day
* Check-in between 11:00pm and midnight and you will get your results before 5:00pm the next day
* Check-in between midnight and 8:00am and you will get your results before 5:00pm on the same day.

So this may differ for other HTLs.

Various other ´go to TH´ sites mention that a 2nd day/nite in quarantine (as that is what it effectively is) may be needed if the result is not there yet. Its is still debated if the test is done In/near the HTL (mostly coöp with a nearby hospital-a nurse could be sent over, but will not be in the HTL permanently) or before at airport.

You also will be transported to that HTL as a potential ĺepra patient=isolated from each and everyone.

They -for now-recommendation is to ujse HTLs used to the longer quarantine as they already have the know how.

As Ive said before-batter to wait and read reports when its working.

6 minutes ago, pong2 said:

You also will be transported to that HTL as a potential ĺepra patient=isolated from each and everyone.

When transported to my quarantine hotel in December 2020, I was sharing the back of the hotel transport with another arrival from the same flight.    The driver was screened off from us with a big sheet of plastic and wearing PPE.