TotallyOz

New Plane from Tokoyo to Bangkok on NWA

The new planes for the Tokoyo to Bangkok route are the 757 Planes. For those who use business class, these seats suck. They are not the pod seats that were on the old planes, they don't even get close to going all the way down for comfort, there is no individual tv monitor with movie selections and the seat more resembles a Business domestic class seat than it does an international long flight seat.

All in all, it looks like NWA will be cutting more and more corners and it looks like the business class seats are part of the cutbacks.

I have always been a loyal NWA member and flying over 100,000 miles with them every year for many years. The cost for the business class seat is prohibitive and the Thai Air nonstop is much more comfortable and the Premium economy is just as comfortable as the new Tokoyo to Bangkok route. Before you book a ticket, check out which plane you are going to be on. When I looked, the fares are the same and they don't tell you that the seats have changed.

Guest fountainhall

Looks like every airline is reducing capacity on the BKK/Narita run. Japan Airlines already cut its daily flights to Tokyo from 3 to 2 last month.

Guest GaySacGuy

I don't think we have seen but the tip of the iceberg as to what changes are going to be made in this economy. The market is back where it was in 2002, and that wasn't a good time financially either.

I think we will see some airlines disappear in the nett 18 months. People just don't have the money to spend on vacations, and business is cutting back on when their employees fly, and also reducing the class of seats they are willing to fund.

Guest laurence

The new planes for the Tokoyo to Bangkok route are the 757 Planes. For those who use business class, these seats suck. They are not the pod seats that were on the old planes, they don't even get close to going all the way down for comfort, there is no individual tv monitor with movie selections and the seat more resembles a Business domestic class seat than it does an international long flight seat.

Thanks for info GT, it ruined my up coming trip! NWA pulled a bait and switch since I booked my flight. It does seem that Thai Air may be an alternative especially with Premium Economy.

Guest fountainhall
I don't think we have seen but the tip of the iceberg as to what changes are going to be made in this economy

. . . which is one reason I cannot understand why people book flights - especially long-haul flights - 8 to 12 months in advance just to take advantage of a cheap ticket promotion. How do you know that route or that flight will be in existence in a year's time? If it's not, are you going to be happy with a change of dates or outright cancellation?

Guest fountainhall
The new planes for the Tokoyo to Bangkok route are the 757 Planes

One thing that concerns me a bit about US airlines and flying in the US is the age of their aircraft. The 757 and 767 first entered service about 28 years ago. Of course, production lines continued right up until recently. but the average age of American Airlines 767s, for example, is 21 years and its MD-80s, the bulk of its fleet, is 18 years. Northwest's 757s average out at 14 years. Compare that with Singapore Airlines' fleet being less than 7 years and Cathay Pacific's 11 years.

More importantly, where are the US carriers going to find the estimated US$110 billion+ to modernize those fleets?

Guest laurence
. . . which is one reason I cannot understand why people book flights - especially long-haul flights - 8 to 12 months in advance just to take advantage of a cheap ticket promotion.

I book well in advance primarily to get a Business Class seat using a combo of dollars and miles. It is never a cheap ticket by any means. Quite likely could try a few months in advance but that is the chance you take. The Business Class in the 757 is a big disappointment. Not sure what that is all about.

Guest Astrrro
. . . which is one reason I cannot understand why people book flights - especially long-haul flights - 8 to 12 months in advance just to take advantage of a cheap ticket promotion. How do you know that route or that flight will be in existence in a year's time? If it's not, are you going to be happy with a change of dates or outright cancellation?

Sometimes a cancellation can work to one's advantage.

I was booked on the BKK-JFK non-stop using United miles. Terms were once the first leg is completed no changes are allowed. But since they canceled on me I was able to make some free changes that were advantageous to me.

As far as biz class, I understand that some guys have lots of money or FF miles they'll never use. But to save 1000 bucks I'll put up with allot. But by being proactive I generally wind up with good seats. As long as I have an aisle seat so I can get up and walk around I'll be OK.

I book well in advance primarily to get a Business Class seat using a combo of dollars and miles. It is never a cheap ticket by any means. Quite likely could try a few months in advance but that is the chance you take. The Business Class in the 757 is a big disappointment. Not sure what that is all about.

This is exactly what I do.

To say that the upgrade wasn't worth it is an UNDERSTATEMENT. I was on the Bangkok to Tokyo with an old 757 and the Business class seats were not even comparable to the Premium Economy on Thai Air. There were no video monitors and the one large video screen was dead. There is little Business class service and many of the amenities that are often there were all gone.

I spoke to Northwest today and they confirmed this was a permanent change. They said the A300 are still flying to Singapore and a few other cities but this change from Bangkok to Tokyo and the reverse is now set. The plane was packed and there was little overhead storage. To the point that 4 passengers in Business had to check luggage at plane side. There were about 5 very vocal people on the flight who were very pissed at the price they paid for a shitty seat and their standard carry on did not fit on the plane. The stewards were very friendly and apologetic but it was not their fault.

To say that the upgrade wasn't worth it is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

For those of you who don't know what kinds of seats are available on the various aircraft used by the airlines, you might want to check the following web site before you book your flight and before you decide upon an economy, business, or first class seat:

http://www.seatguru.com

Guest fountainhall
I spoke to Northwest today and they confirmed this was a permanent change

Last night I had dinner with a Thai who has been a cabin attendant on Northwest for many years. He confirmed the change is permanent. The Airbus previously used has been transferred to a US/European route. He also confirmed that the cabin staff hate going into business class because of the anger of many of the passengers.

I just ran a check on the aircraft NWA is using from its Tokyo hub to various Asian destinations. Hong Kong and Singapore get Airbus A330s, Bangkok, Taipei and Seoul get the aging featureless 757s and, surprisingly, only Manila gets a 747-400. I guess this is because zillions of Filippinos visit relatives in the US, but why they get the aircraft with the largest business class beats me.

That regional 757 business class has only 16 seats - same as US domestic - i.e not worth paying money or miles for.