reader

Police make arrests after wallets disappear at Suvarnabhumi

From The Nation

Three Mongolian men have been arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport for allegedly stealing money from passengers’ bags several times, the airport announced on Monday.

Police arrested Damdin Jargalsaikhan, 37, Batbold Sambuu, 51, and Batmyagmar Urtnasan, 37, on Floor B of the passenger terminal on Friday (March 24), said airport director Kittiphong Kittikhajorn.

Officials identified the suspects from CCTV footage after two Japanese men, a Thai woman and a Canadian man separately complained to tourist police that they had lost their wallets and cash in several currencies between last Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.

The missing money reportedly amounted to over 260,000 baht.

The footage appears to show the three suspects working with two women, who are still at large, by surrounding the victims, while the women use their coats to block the view of their luggage and then steal cash from their bags. The gang was filmed acting in this way near a currency exchange booth after the alleged victims had just exchanged money, and in an elevator leading to a parking lot.

Kittiphong said the airport has ordered security staff to increase surveillance to ensure safety for passengers, especially during peak hours. He also urged all passengers to be mindful of their belonging at all times. To report missing money or property, passengers can contact an airport information booth or call the 1155 hotline.

idea of keeping cash in the bags seems very progressive for me , I still opt for old fashioned money belt hidden in my undies, specially in crowded places.

I can recall two exceptions though, one in Iran about 20 years ago when I exchanged 200 USD into rials and at that time highest denomination was 10000 rials and exchange rate 1:8100, that made for backpack full of money.

Another one was slightly over year ago when I wanted to buy locally 2000-3000 baht to tidy me over on arrival  and all they had was 20 baht notes. I took them all and goes without saying I did not have problem with small change throughout whole Dec 2021 trip

I usually have plenty of baht kept over from a previous trip that will see me through to the hotel and beyond (includes sim card at the airport and taxi) and that I have in my pocket before I even get onto the plane, no need to delve into my bag for money at the airport and always keep my carry on bag on a tight leash just to be on the safe side. 

Like TMax I always keep some cash for the next visit. I used to travel to so many places I keep the left over cash in an old free standing Korean medicine chest with 30+ drawers. Some of course I will never use but in general it is a great way to keep lots of currencies separate in deally sized drawers. I hate to arrive in a country and then the first thing I have to do is change cash.