Guest RichLB

Retail Discoveries

Guest RichLB

The other night I was talking to a guy at corner bar and he mentioned he had just discovered Moccona Instant Coffee. I thought it was just me, but when he concered that he thought it was as good as, or even better, than freshly ground beans I thought I'd give it a post here.

It inspired me to inquire if others have stumbled across tasty treats in the markets I haven't discovered. I agree, not the most exciting topic in the world, but I'm always on the look out for new snacks I haven't tried.

It inspired me to inquire if others have stumbled across tasty treats in the markets I haven't discovered.

Considering the number of possibilities, it's going to be difficult to respond to that because there's no way to know what you have and have not discovered. However, your post brings the word "cookies" to mind . . .

For my taste it is excellent coffee. A bar owner from from Boystown area gave me a gift basket and it had Moccona Select coffee in it.

I have served it when friends have been over for dinner and usually someone comments about how good the coffee is.

There are 5 different tastes. I enjoy Select the most but Rich n Smooth is a bit stronger and also good.

The last time I purchased it was at Foodland.

discovered Moccona Instant Coffee.

I've never tried the instant, but I have tried their regular coffee and it is delicious. I have bragged it up to several of my friends. Great coffee.

Guest zzrichard

I am not a coffee fanantic, but find Moccona Instant Coffee expresso style a lot better than Nescafe instant. Been using it for about a year now.

As far as finding new snacks, just pop into any 7-11 and buy a pack of something you have never tried. The most you will lose is about 25 or 30 baht.

Or do what I do when shopping...when you are at lotus or big-c, just grab a can or jar of something you don't recognize and try it when you get home.

In the USA I always liked the coffee served by Dunkin' Donuts the best. I don't even like donuts, but I would always buy their packaged coffee. They sold it there. Dunkin' Donuts is right here in Thailand, but so far it has never occurred to me to even stop in and try seeing if they sell just the packaged coffee to brew at home. Anybody know?

Guest laurence
I Anybody know?

You have been away a long time GB. The coffee at Dunkin is not same same as it was. Went from good to almost bad.

The coffee at Dunkin is not same same as it was.

Damn! That's too bad. Oh well, my second favorite has always been Maxwell House and that is sold here in Thailand. Based on what people have said about Moccona, that's going to be the next coffee I'll try. Maybe I'll like it even better than Maxwell House.

What's really a shame is that so many restaurants serve Nescafe instant. As far as I'm concerned, that tastes more like sewer sludge than coffee. I have no idea why they all serve Nescafe, but that's what most restaurants, with the exception of better restaurants, give you. And they even charge for a second cup of that stuff.

Guest fountainhall
As far as I'm concerned, that tastes more like sewer sludge than coffee

I could not agree more. Unfortunately, Nescafe is huge in Thailand and exerts a great deal of power.

Guest RichLB

Well, we've pretty much coverered coffee and surprisingly we all seem to agree. How about some other treats I've been missing. Has anyone discovered where they might sell Cheetos or Fritos? Yeah, I know Villa Mart can order them (maybe), but is there any place that stocks them or has anyone discovered good substitutes? How about Kipper Snacks (another favorite I've not found in Thailand)? Anyone else is invited to make similar inquiries, too, of course.

Guest laurence
Damn! That's too bad. Oh well, my second favorite has always been Maxwell House and that is sold here in Thailand.

Oddly enough, GB, I had some type of Maxwell House tonight and it was good. Very good. Did not know what it was until after I commented favorably upon it ! Even worse/best it was a seml-decaffinated version.

Guest GaySacGuy

I was in Villa Market yesterday. They are finally carrying Fritos. They have the 11 ounce size bags for 179 baht. They only carry that one size.

They better be really good Fritos if they are over $5.00 US for 11 oz.

I too like Cheetos, but haven't seen them anywhere either!

Has anyone seen Chex Cereal??? I like to make Scrabble/Chex Mix at Christmas (a mix of cereal, pretzels, nuts..heated in over with worchester sauce and garlic), but can't find any of the right cereals???

" ... I don't even like donuts ... "

Actually, that photo of you someone posted on Baht Stop kinda/sorta tells me you do!

But I digress: if someone can tell me where I could buy good old Irish Spring Soap in Thailand I'd be willing to purchase that person a very generaous gift certificate to, well, let's say Dunkin' Donuts.

Irish Spring is one of the best selling soaps in North America, and I'm quite surprised I cannot seem to find it here.

The same goes for Old Spice (roll-on) Deodorant . . . a gigantic seller at home, but seemingly non-existant in Thailand.

Perhaps I live too far out in the boonies. (Hua Hin??) But I've never stumbled across them in Bangkok either ... and not for any lack of trying.

Actually, that photo of you someone posted on Baht Stop kinda/sorta tells me you do!

And you actually think that's really a photo of me? I'm not surprised. No, I don't like donuts. But then everything I know about you tells me that you very likely enjoy sour grapes.

I think, but am not certain, that I've noticed Irish Spring at Villa Market. I've never seen Old Spice sold in Thailand.

Guest gay_grampa

Back to coffee and does anyone know of any restuarant or coffee shop that serves "Kopi Luwak" ?

It's marketed as the most expensive beverage in the world and I would like to try it just once in my life to see how different it really is.

For those who don't know, Kopi Luwak or Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee berries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets. The civets eat the berries, but the beans inside pass through their system undigested. This process takes place on the islands of Sumatra, Java, Bali and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago.

In other words ... it is cat shit ... but I would like to try it ... just once.

In other words ... it is cat shit ... but I would like to try it ... just once.

And somebody had to be the first person to ever think of trying it.

"Look, Dan. The civet took a shit. Hey, take a look. What's that sticking out of the shit?"

"Well, Norm, it looks to me like a coffee bean."

"Yeah? This morning we ran out of coffee. See if there's enough of it in there to brew a few cups."

-later-

"Hey, Dan, this is good! This is the best damned cup of coffee I've had in years. Who would ever have believed coffee flavored with civet turds could be this good?"

"Best you've had in years? Makes me kind of wonder what must have been in the coffee you were drinking before."

I don't know...but I'm not sure exactly why Smiles considers himself to be in the lofty position to criticise Gaybutton or any other westerners looks/shapes for that matter, joke or not. Why do some farangs when they come to Thailand suddenly feel qualified to consider themselves attractive enough compared to others to justify criticism of others just because some third world poor cute and handsome boys give them the time of day.....

In any western country where the price to buy compliments takes REAL money guys like Smiles are just considered another bog-standard middle-aged/older guy......the little bit of Smiles arrogance would be perfectly acceptable were he a 25-30 year old stunner.....but from forum photos he has been niave/misguided enough to post that is clearly not the case is it?

Nothing personal, it's just that i find personal criticism of others eminating from what could be considered an over inflated opinion of oneself to be rather tiresome.

On the small matter of the thread subject, when I first came to Thailand I was pleased to find Special K breakfast cereal in stores and more recently Brown/Wholemeal bread available in 7/11s..even in the sticks.