reader

New rules for refunds for cancelled trips

From The Nation

Both foreign and domestic tourists can request a refund if they cancel trips within Thailand, but full refunds require that they cancel at least 30 days in advance, the Department of Tourism said on Wednesday in response to questions from tourists.

Tourists have been asking the department, which is under the Ministry of Tourism, whether they can get refunds on tour packages and how they can file complaints if they do not receive refunds from tour operators.

Tourists can receive refunds based on how far in advance they cancel their trips, the department said in a Facebook post. It outlined its policy on cancellations:

• Travellers can receive a 100% refund if they cancel a trip 30 days in advance.
  • Travellers can receive a 50% refund if they cancel their trip 15 days in advance.
  • Tour operators do not have to pay refunds to travellers who cancel trips less than 15 days in advance.
  • Tour operators have to pay a 100% refund to travellers if a trip is cancelled, even if the cancellation is not their fault.
  •  
  • Refunds will be paid after expenses, such as visa fees and ticket deposits (plane, train, and boat tickets), are deducted. Tour operators have to show evidence of other expenses.

If other expenses are higher than the paid service fees, tour operators cannot ask travellers to pay the difference.

Tourists can file complaints with the Department of Tourism if they have not received a refund or received an incomplete refund. The department can be contacted by telephone during working hours (02-219-4025) or through its call centre (02-401-1111) at any time.

I hope the phone lines are properly manned to cope with demand. Those for airlines like British Airways which has recently been cancelling many dozens of flights are impossible to get through. And I wonder about the quality of English spoken. What about French, German and other tourists whose primary languages are neither Thai nor English?

On 6/3/2023 at 11:48 AM, PeterRS said:

I hope the phone lines are properly manned to cope with demand........ I wonder about the quality of English spoken. What about French, German and other tourists whose primary languages are neither Thai nor English?

I see two options

staying home as travel can be stressful, time consuming and costly. Not being sarcastic here. I know many people who would not travel to destinations where visa is required

or

chalking loses off instead of  burning ourselves in never ending fight with bureaucracy pursuing our  rights. Once I took day off to deal with some insurance claim losing not only day's pay but also end of month bonus for 100% attendance my employer was offering then. So at end of day my gain was coffee and sandwich equivalent and bitter feeling I was fooled by insurance and by myself as well.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I see two options

staying home as travel can be stressful, time consuming and costly. Not being sarcastic here. I know many people who would not travel to destinations where visa is required

or

chalking loses off instead of  burning ourselves in never ending fight with bureaucracy pursuing our  rights.

And I agreee there are benefits from both options. Usually I'm a fighter for my rights. Presently I have a continuing problem with my bank in the UK. I have not been able to access the account since November 30 last year because my Thai phone account and service provider (which has not changed in more than 8 years) can no longer receive the 6-digit PIN codes required as the final step for internet banking. PINS from no other service providers anywhere have been affected. The bank says it has checked and it is not its fault. AIS here have had its technicians check three times with my attempting to gain access, and received no PINS for my phone. Result: impasse!

I am one of those who refuse to use phone banking. I know too many people who have had phones hacked, lost or stolen. There is a much more complicated way to access my account but I have not used it yet. Instead, I have written a long complaint with full details and copies of correspondence to the UK's Commissioner for Banking. I've asked for £5,000 comensation. I know I won't get it but I might just get something. In the meantime the Commissioner for Banking has told me it will take 4 months to investigate my complaint!!! 

12 years ago I had another major problem with the same bank. That time it provided £1,000 in compensation. So perhaps the time and effort making the complaint may generate something.

And if anyone thinks I am a bit of a miser - bang on!! LOL At Tops supermarket on Friday I checked and discovered that two items had been overcharged by 3 baht! When I last complained about overcharging at Tops, it had a policy of refunding not only the overcharge but the full price of the item. So I went to the counter to point out the error. Sadly, the policy has changed and I was handed 6 baht! Not even enough for a tiny cup of weak coffee!

All that said, though, if I'm on holiday I'll only complain about major problems. It's just not worthwhile disturbing the holiday for lesser amouns - like 6 baht 🤣

The Nation report has these words: "if they cancel trips within Thailand. I think it means local tour excursions, e.g to floating market, organised by Thai-licensed inbound operators. I somehow doubt if this policy applies to international airlines flying into or out of Thailand. Your ticket should state which jurisdiction's laws apply to the contract.