Guest Simon208

Ideas...upcoming visit to Thailand and another country

Guest Simon208

Hi

It has been over a year since my first and only trip to Thailand. That trip took in 2 days in Bangkok a few days in Laos and then Phuket.

I am hoping to go back this June for 10 days. Again arriving into Bangkok.

I travel alone and had a great time in Bangkok and Phuket last time.

This time I am unsure of what to do.

Outside Bangkok are there any other towns or areas that are 'gay friendly'...Phuket had a small gay area ...but what about other places like Krabi....Ko Samui or areas in the North.

Last time I went to Laos...realy nice but far from having a open gay scene.

What about Vietanm or Cambodia...do they

After reading a lot of your posts a lot of you seem to be frequent travellers to the area....do you have any other ideas.

I am not a lie round the pool or beach type of person...I like to see the local area during the day and enjoy the local young (but legal) night life that is on offer.

Finally there was a massage place I visited in Silom in Bangkok but have lost the name.....it was near on the oposite side of the road to the Sofitel Hotel...near a major road junction....on the first floor of a shopping centre....there where 2 places her one at the fron tof the centre and one at the back...does anyone know the name of the one at the front of the shopping centre.

Thanks in advance

Guest df358
does anyone know the name of the one at the front of the shopping centre.

The massage place u were looking for was called HIS, and I believe it is closed. The one at the back is called Arena and it is still open. Both are situated at the Silom Plaza near the Sofitel Hotel.

Guest GaySacGuy

The combination of seeing the local area...and having the legal fun at night don't always fit well. Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket (smaller), and Chiang Mai (even smaller) have the night life with the boys.

My suggestion based on what you have said is.....Go to Bangkok or Pattaya and plan to spend 2-4 days...and check the available boys and try to find one that you really like. Then travel with the boy to the other areas like the Islands or the Northeast. Then you can see the sights, and take you own evening entertainment with you. Don't know if this is what you want, but it is just an idea!!

The combination of seeing the local area...and having the legal fun at night don't always fit well. Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket (smaller), and Chiang Mai (even smaller) have the night life with the boys.

My suggestion based on what you have said is.....Go to Bangkok or Pattaya and plan to spend 2-4 days...and check the available boys and try to find one that you really like. Then travel with the boy to the other areas like the Islands or the Northeast. Then you can see the sights, and take you own evening entertainment with you. Don't know if this is what you want, but it is just an idea!!

Fly to Phnom Penh & travel back overland through Siem Reap to Thailand. There are a couple of gay bars in Phnom Penh, one in Siem Reap & a fantastic range of temples at Angkor Wat which must not be missed.

Guest Simon208
Fly to Phnom Penh & travel back overland through Siem Reap to Thailand. There are a couple of gay bars in Phnom Penh, one in Siem Reap & a fantastic range of temples at Angkor Wat which must not be missed.

Many Thnaks for your feedback...this is the type of trip that I am intertested in doing.

Thanks.....have you done this trip before....any suggestions of hotels in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap...what about gay bars...do you have any names or webistes that I can source them.

again Thanks for your help

any suggestions of hotels in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap...what about gay bars...do you have any names or webistes that I can source them.

Phnom Penh guest house--Manor house

bar-- blue nile

disco---heart of darkness

Siem Reap

Guest house--Banana Hotel or 8 rooms

Bars--one only Linga Bar

Great information on Cambodia on this web site--http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipscam.htm

Have fun--I am curious what country you are from?

Guest lvdkeyes
Fly to Phnom Penh & travel back overland through Siem Reap to Thailand.

Be aware that a Thai visa on arrival when you arrive by land is only for 15 days as opposed to the 30 day visa if you arrive by air.

Absolutely you should go to Cambodia. It will be HOT and maybe a little rain here and there but if you are in the neighborhood it is definitely worth seeing Angkor and the other sites in Siem Reap. With only 10 days I would say split the time evenly between Bangkok and Siem Reap. I like Phnom Penh but there isn't a whole lot to it and with so little time I think it is worth skipping this trip. You can always go another time. If you do go to Phnom Penh however, there are a couple of gay bars. Blue Chili and Salt Lounge.

But you can fly directly from Bangkok to Siem Reap so I would do that if I were you. There is a gay bar in Siem Reap. But on the whole the gay scene in Cambodia is nowhere near as in your face as it is in Thailand. But in my opinion the young men there are stunning so there is plenty of eye candy around.

As for hotel recommendations that really depends on your budget. I stayed at the Victoria in Siem Reap. I thought it was OK but it is far from the main town. I would probably stay at Hotel De La Paix or FCC Angkor if I were to visit again. The temples of Angkor are amazing. There are lots of them too. It is worth taking a day to visit Phnom Kulen which takes a while to drive to and then up the mountain and Beng Melea temple is a bit farther away as well. I combined both of those in one day and it worked well. Since it will be hot you will need to pace yourself a bit. I can definitely recommend Purple Dragon's services in Cambodia.

If you go to Phnom Penh I can certainly recommend the Quay Hotel. It is very high-design and quite cool. The rooms on the front have views of the Mekong/Tonle Sap but they also have traffic noise from the busy street. Very close to the Grand Palace and other sites. I stayed at the Intercontinental there as well. It is nice in a chain hotel sort of way but far removed from the main city action. The Amanjaya is supposed to be nice too.

Vietnam is certainly another option. I am planning to visit there later this year when I return to SE Asia. But I understand that there is even less of a gay scene there.

Just binge on sex while you are in Thailand and you should be set to hold you over while you visit tamer places.

If you can manage more time you should do it. It seems a shame to go all that way for only 10 days' visit.

Guest Simon208

Many Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions on this trip.....your help is appreciated....and for the person who asked I am from Ireland

Thanks

Options........

You could take the early morning train from BKK to Aranya Prathet, a tuk tuk to the border, then a taxi to Siem Reap.

The train costs about 50 bht, is basic & takes about 6 hours. But you get to see some of Thailand.

Or:

Fly to Phnom Penh. Two nights at The Manor House, probably bringing back some company from the Blue Chilli bar or the Salt Lounge.

Then the bus to Siem Reap. Minimum of 3 nights here, preferably 4 if you are the type to be attracted by amazing temple complexes. Only one gay bar now. I also struck lucky in one of those massage places with women doing foot massages downstairs. Had an oil massage from guy that must be the best ever & ended very well.

Ei8ght Rooms is budget gay friendly accommodation -stylish, basic but not so quiet due to traditional air vents near the ceiling allowing noise in from the town. There are other places, which I haven't tried.

Then get a taxi to Poipet booked via one of the travel shops in town for about $32~35. The bus from Siem Reap to Poipet will still be way too slow due to poor roads. Stroll over the border, then get a bus to BKK, which could drop you off at Lumphini Park right next to Silom again. Or you could plan this to catch the afternoon train, if you time it well & fancy a slow trip.