TotallyOz

The beginning of High Season

As high season approaches, do those of you that live there see a significant change in the number of tourists? Boys in the bars?

I love high season and the crowds. I have prior commitments this winter and will be in Southern Cali for most of the next few months. But, I would love an update on what those of you that are there see.

As high season approaches, do those of you that live there see a significant change in the number of tourists? Boys in the bars?

Yes, there are certainly a greater number of gay holiday makers in town. The numbers seem to me to be significantly higher than the last two years, but the numbers are still down from years past. The trouble is that even with a good number of farang in town, I still see a number of bars close to empty.

Regarding the bars, I really don't see a significant increase in numbers of boys, but I do see a lot of "new" boys in the various bars I visit. But I don't go to the bars all that often, so I'll defer to the observations of others.

Oddly enough, there actually seems to be a lesser number of boys working the beach these days. That's on my "I Don't Get It" list because there are a hell of a lot more gay farang on the beach lately. A good number of of boys are there to be sure, but most are the "regulars" who work the beaches practically every day anyhow. I don't see very many "new" boys working the beaches lately. That's not just the way I see it. Many of my friends are also commenting about the lack of "eye candy." There were boys galore during the low season. Now that high season is here, they just have not been coming to the beach in large numbers.

Perhaps at least part of the reason is this stigma among the Thai boys that dark skin is "no good," so many won't go to the beach at all because they don't want any kind of suntan.

What can I say? They're so good looking, but they won't go to the beach. So, instead of loads of great looking boys displaying their bods on the beach, you end up seeing a lot more of aging overweight farang in skimpy attire. Murphy's Law strikes again!

Guest Oogleman

Was on the phone with a friend today. he said sunee and boyztown were very quiet the last few days and indeed as GB said, quite a few bars were empty.

i do know more people are in town (pgf and venue were packed for their special events) but i think they must be staying in at night a bit more!

Guest buckeroo2

I have been here 1 week so my observations are limited. The gay beach is definitely busier with gay farang. I agree that the number of Thai boys is indeed limited to the same guys who have made the beach their daily haunt for years.

The restaurants I frequent have seen a definite increase in business. It seems comparable to a few years ago. Except for Ole, the owners/managers have given me positive feedback about the noticeable increase in business.

The 2 shopping areas I frequent have been quiet - The Avenue and Royal Garden - very slow for sure.

My gym, California WOW has been very busy when compared to the past 2 years since it opened. I have been there 4 times, at different times of the day, and the place is really bustling with about a 50/50 mix between Thai and farang.

The bars and I parted ways a few years ago - I haven't been to any bars on this trip nor have a walked through Boyztown or Sunee at night to get a gauge in the amount of foot traffic.

I have some Thai friends who own shops at a few of the night bazaars across Pattaya and they are quite happy with the retun of high season. They have commented that it is much better than the past few years.

I notice a lot less boys on Gayromeo for the last 2 weeks... i put it down to the bars being busier and there being less need for them to go cruising for farang at night...

The bars and I parted ways a few years ago - I haven't been to any bars on this trip nor have a walked through Boyztown or Sunee at night to get a gauge in the amount of foot traffic.

Hi Buckeroo

Just curious... what do you do at night if you don't visit the bars?

Guest Astrrro

A realtor that handles many units in the VCC, My View, and also Yensabai Condo says this high season is MUCH busier than last year.

His explanation was that with the economic down turn people are taking one long trip during high season rather than multiple short trips.

I'm sure last year's airport closure hurt business last year.

it's also possible that it's his bookings that are strong as his reputation spreads.

Guest buckeroo2

Hi Buckeroo

Just curious... what do you do at night if you don't visit the bars?

I should not have dismissed the bars as a "never do" - I went to the bars last night - on average I go to the bars once a month - just often enough to relieve some boredom and remind me why I don't frequent the bars - same old shuffle the boys do on stage - and I spend way too much money and I am bored to death and wake up the next day feeling lousy. Back home in the U.S, I haven't been to a bar in more than 15 years. You are a lot younger than I am - I used to be a major party animal but age has a way of changing my lifestyle.

What do I do in the evening? - same same as I do back home - read a lot, watch movies, go out to dinner with friends. Before I came to Pattaya, I loaded up my Kindle with about 50 books, burnt about the same amount of movies, and that will take up most of my evenings for my 3 month stay. I am more active during the day, but not much more - beach, gym, the cinema, etc. I have developed friendships over the years with a set of Thai and farang friends and I enjoy my outings with them much more than I enjoy a night of bar hopping.

OK, so here is my observations in regards to the bars I visited last night - a Saturday night. I went to the Boyztown area. Toy Boys had about 15 customers - the boys were playful and a bit on the young thin side - different than the boys they employed in the past who were more on the bigger, more masculine side of the scale. A-Bomb has about 30 boys - same same as always - mostly bigger guys who seem to be more gay for pay - just my opinion - they also had about 15 cutomers. The place has friendly dancers, waiters and mamasan. Star Boys was dead - I was the only customer at about 11:00 PM. The boys are twinks, a bit feminine, and number about 12 when I was there. I seldom hang out in any bar when I am the only customer - way too much attention from all the dancers. At Kawaii Boys - about 15 boys - again young and feminine - playful dancers but none that were of interest to me - 3 customers. Dream Boys was dead - 2 customers - about 15 boys - a nice mix of body styles, but the energy level was very low. Off I went to Boyz Boyz Boys for the show. Again it was very slow - not many customers as compared to the past. The upstairs bar was eerily quiet for a Saturday night. I finished the night at Cafe Royale to hear a few tunes by Toi - again same theme - very quiet - maybe about 8 cutomers at 1:30 AM on a Saturday night.

I bought some Thai food at one of stalls on S. Pattaya Rd. - and headed home - wishing I had stayed home and finished my book. It was a very low energy night for me.

Guest buckeroo2

A realtor that handles many units in the VCC, My View, and also Yensabai Condo says this high season is MUCH busier than last year.

I know a guy who handles bookings for about 50 units in Center Condo and he told me that he is much busier this year than last year. He is fully booked for all of the high season and someone on his staff accidentally overbooked 3 units and he is trying to juggle his units to accommodate the overbookings. So things in high season rental market seem to have picked up considerably.

buckeroos comment says a lot.

Cafe royal & BBB. Not many years ago both venues would not have had a spare seat in high season .

I think that the opening of Dave, NAB, X-ray and their ilk effectively killed off BBB and LCRs late night trade over the last 3 years...

So many familiar faces are seen in the late night discos these days(even Toi and El duo!)

Guest globalwanderer

I think it all means the scene is changing. Numbers of tourists does not equate with numbers in the old favorite bars. Scenes change. Maybe Pattaya is too