TotallyOz

What is your favorite Fast Food

I like some of the street stalls every so often, depending on what they sell and if I'm in the mood for it. I don't know the names for most of it and there are plenty of items they sell and I don't have any idea what the hell most of it is, but sometimes I'll try them anyway just to see if it is something I might like.

A woman on my street makes the best fried rice I've ever had - 25 baht. There is a place near where I live that makes, among other things, the typical sliced chicken on top of rice. That's benign enough. They also make the sliced pork leg on top of rice. One dish they make that I enjoy is "suki talay," which is a vegetable soup loaded with different vegetables and seafood items - 35 baht. Something that seems to be available only during mornings is "joke." I don't know what's in it. It seems to be a rice based soup with several added items. I like that too. Another soup I like is the fish maw soup. It sounds terrible, but I think it's very good - 30 baht.

For farang fast food, people keep telling me that the "hamburger lady" at Sunee Plaza makes both excellent hamburgers and hot dogs, although I have never tried her food.

For restaurant fast food, for me there's no question. The Canton House in the new Central Festival. While they serve many other dishes, they specialize in Chinese dim-sum, which I love. 15 baht per selection. Water or tea is 10 baht. They make a won-ton soup that I really like too and it comes in various sizes. You would have to be really hungry to spend more than about 120 baht there.

If you want to go out of the way, on Sukhumvit Soi 21, right behind the Toyota dealership, there is a mom-and-pop open air Thai restaurant that is famous among the Thai locals and highly popular. The reason is they make nearly all their food items from scratch. Almost nothing comes out of a bottle. To find it, you turn left from Sukhumvit Highway onto Soi 21 and then make an immediate right. It's just down the block on the left. You can't miss it.

Guest GaySacGuy

My favorite fast food isn't in Thailand...It it Taco Bell Soft Tacos.

For Thailand, the foreign favorite would be KFC.

But my boyfriend goes somewhere here in the neighborhood, and comes back with a really good meal. It is big wide noodles, with a soup base with lots of vegetables and pork. It is really good...has become one of my favorites.

Guest xiandarkthorne

In Thailand? Well, if I'm in Bangkok, then fried grasshoppers and fried silkworms win hands down! If I'm at Phuket, then grilled catfish on a stick has got to be it. In Hatyai, I never miss the som-tam salad with raw river crabs.

Guest fountainhall

I am glad See's chocolate isn't in Thailand

If it was, it would save me buying tons of the stuff in Hong Kong and hoping they'd last till my next trip. They never do, alas :angry:

I hate to show my ignorance, but until this thread I've never heard of See's Chocolate. I've always like Godiva . . . when I can afford it. How do the two compare?

If you like caramel, the greatest has always been Velati's, which you may never have heard of it you don't come from the Washington, D.C - northern Virginia area. I remember Velati's from when I was a kid. Nothing can compare. If any kind soul from that area can ever bring some for me - just the plain caramel is all I want, nothing fancy - I would be most grateful and would be happy to pay for it.

http://www.velatis.com

Guest lvdkeyes

See's is a California based company. It is good, but doesn't compare to Godiva, either in quality or in price. It is on a par with Fannie Mae which I prefer to See's.

Guest buckeroo2

See's is a California based company. It is good, but doesn't compare to Godiva, either in quality or in price. It is on a par with Fannie Mae which I prefer to See's.

Fannie Mae was established in the U.S by Congress in 1938 as a mechanism to make mortgages more available to low-income families. It is often linked with Freddie Mac - I think you meant Fannie May - your Fanny May is a lot sweeter than the bumbling bailed out Fannie Mae of recent economic headlines.

Guest fountainhall

See's is a California based company. It is good, but doesn't compare to Godiva, either in quality or in price

I find the biggest problem with Godiva is that the range and variety of their chocolates available in Asia are extremely limited. I have checked in many of their stores around the region and have never found the fruit 'soft centres' that you get elsewhere (apart from in the small chocolate bars); As a confirmed chocaholic, I can say from years of experience that See's 'soft centres' are creamier and tastier than those made by Godiva :p You also get virtually the full range in Hong Kong - although pound-for-pound they are virtually the same price as Godiva (easily 100% more than the price in the USA). That said, I'll happily make myself available if anyone from Godiva's agency wants me to do some tasting - any time!

This evening I was in Sunee Plaza and passed right by the "hamburger lady." I had never tried her hamburgers before. Tonight I finally gave it a try. She is very personable and she'll make your hamburger any way you like it. She has a good selection of different hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. I tried the hamburger and it was very good, one of the best I've had in Pattaya. She charges 69 baht for it and in my opinion is well worth the price, especially as opposed to another locale that is no longer in existence and had been charging 180 baht for their hamburger.

You can eat there at her hamburger stand or she is happy to pack it 'to go' if you prefer.

Guest luvthai

I had forgotten about the hamburger lady and i agree the burgers are the best in thailand. I often stop by on the way back to my room after a nite out as I tend to eat smaller meals during the day.

"The best in Thailand"? Have you had a hamburger from Mike's in Chiang Mai?

I really like Mike's when I am in Chiang Mai. I also like the Sunee Hamburger Lady. She makes a mean burger.

My favorite Hamburger is at the Intercontinental in Bangkok. The BF says it is the best he has had. He said the Four Season would come in second but both place charge wayyyyyyy toooooo much for the burgers.

Growing up at McD's, I also love the taste of the regular cheeseburger. I think Mike's in Chiang Mai is better tasting but McD's brings back old memories.

Guest buckeroo2

This evening I was in Sunee Plaza and passed right by the "hamburger lady." I had never tried her hamburgers before. Tonight I finally gave it a try. She is very personable and she'll make your hamburger any way you like it. She has a good selection of different hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. I tried the hamburger and it was very good, one of the best I've had in Pattaya. She charges 69 baht for it and in my opinion is well worth the price, especially as opposed to another locale that is no longer in existence and had been charging 180 baht for their hamburger.

You can eat there at her hamburger stand or she is happy to pack it 'to go' if you prefer.

Can you describe where in Sunee Plaza the hamburger lady is located? I am not familiar with her business.

For Mike's in Chiang Mai, I just did a Google search and several reviews came up. Now I know where it is and what the place is all about. Next time I'm in Chiang Mai I'll give it a try. Here's one review:

"Mike's (Burger Stand)

As good as Thai food is, eating it all the time can get a little boring. So we have the occasional craving for "American" food and our guilty secret places to get it. Mike's, with their slogan of "Converting vegetarians since 1979," is one of our favorite places to get a real hamburger, rather than than one of those overly-processed fast food concoctions. It doesn't stop at hamburgers. If you've got a hankering for a chili cheese onion dog, this is the place to satisfy you. The original stand facing the moat not far from the Amora hotel was joined in August 2006 by a slightly larger branch on Nimanhemin Road. Now, in 2007, there's another branch at the Anusarn Night Bazaar."

http://thailandforvisitors.com/north/chiangmai/general/rests.html