unicorn

Money down the drain?

• Members

When I heard that they were building (now have built) a suicide barrier at the Golden Gate Bridge, I assumed it would be like other ones I've seen, such as this bridge in Toronto:

undefined

Or on top of the Empire State building:

Empire-State-Barrier

I was shocked when I recently saw what was recently installed:

GGB-nets

This new "barrier" seems to be completely ineffective, since whoever jumped into the nets could easily jump again from those nets. When I googled as to whether anyone had actually been saved by that barrier, I didn't find that anyone had, but did come across this article by a psychiatric RN:

https://www.statnews.com/2023/05/10/golden-gate-bridge-anti-suicide-net-cost/

"...Spending $400 million to save 30 people a year is a misuse of funds. The current population of the Bay Area is about 3.3 million. While money certainly can’t buy happiness, at $120 per resident, $400 million can buy an awful lot of therapeutic help and crisis intervention for those who need it — particularly given that 85% of those who choose to jump from the Golden Gate live within an hour’s drive of the bridge...".

Delving into the subject further, I found that even effective barriers, such as that on that Toronto bridge, don't lead to an overall drop in suicides.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897976/

"...Although the barrier prevented suicides at Bloor Street Viaduct, the rate of suicide by jumping in Toronto remained unchanged. This lack of change might have been due to a reciprocal increase in suicides from other bridges and buildings. This finding suggests that Bloor Street Viaduct may not have been a uniquely attractive location for suicide and that barriers on bridges may not alter absolute rates of suicide by jumping when comparable bridges are nearby...". 

It seems to me like a sad mis-use of funds--big $$ which could have helped people simply wasted away. 

In Sydney they have these walkways across the highways built the same method ,NOT to stop suicides,but to stop morons to throwing big rocks on cars & trucks going underneath !!!

Yes people usually teenagers think it's funny to heaven a large rock over at cars going past underneath