TotallyOz

An Age old question

I was having a conversation with a gentleman I have known for a while. He is not a good friend but merely someone I chat with from time to time. We were talking about how long he had been retired and I asked him how old he was. He got visibly upset and said that is not a proper question to ask anyone.

I get asked that question often as people think I am 60 but am not quite that old yet. I know that asking ladies their age is not kosher. I didn't think it offensive to ask a guy his age. Am I wrong? Did I commit an error?

Guest painai

Thais ask me how old I am all the time. However, it just isn't done from one Farang to another. I know some guys that will gladly tell you their age--be it 69 or 76. They just don't care. Others are VERY sensitive about their age and will not give you an answer. I guess they're just to vain.

Guest fountainhall

I get asked that question often as people think I am 60 but am not quite that old yet.

Come on! You don't look a day over 59 :D

Seriously though, you are a spring chicken compared to some of us posters. Do I mind if people ask my age? Generally no. With fellow farang and others with whom I do any business, I'll gladly reveal my age. Many say I look a good few years younger - which does wonders for the ego! But if I am chatting on a website or to a guy in a bar, vanity often gets the better of me and I'll lop off a few years. But I stress "few". I have a friend who thinks nothing of deducting 10 - 12 years!

Referring back to another recent thread, I guess we are both guilty of lying :o

If, as you say, you've known him for a while, I don't understand his becoming perturbed at the question. Seems strange to me.

He is an acquaintance and not a good friend. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Come on! You don't look a day over 59 :D

LOL Well, you are getting closer to my real age each day. :) I always say:

I am 40, feel 50 and look 60.

I didn't think it offensive to ask a guy his age. Am I wrong? Did I commit an error?

Your question was inappropiate. Perhaps if a close friend but not someone casual.

Farang here seem to ask a lot of inappropiate questions regarding age, sex and other personal questions.

Guest buckeroo2

Thais ask me how old I am all the time. However, it just isn't done from one Farang to another. I know some guys that will gladly tell you their age--be it 69 or 76. They just don't care. Others are VERY sensitive about their age and will not give you an answer. I guess they're just to vain.

Just look at the farangs with pics posted on gayromeo and compare their pics with their posted age - I think either these guys had really rough lives or they are lopping off at least 10 years off their age - and in some cases I would venture maybe 15-20 years. I am not sure who they think they are fooling - but I just smile to myself and move on. I personally know some guys who are in their 60's posting their age as late 40's. I think I would rather someone think I look OK for my age rather than think I look so old for my age.

Just look at the farangs with pics posted on gayromeo and compare their pics with their posted age - I think either these guys had really rough lives or they are lopping off at least 10 years off their age - and in some cases I would venture maybe 15-20 years.

It is kind of like the sex ads in NYC. You always subtract at least one inch from their profile. :)

Actually, I've never understood why so many people try to say they are younger than their actual age. To me, it would make much more sense, if you're going to lie about your age, to say you're older than your actual age.

If someone who is actually 60 says he is 50, then I would be thinking he looks like shit for his age. On the other hand, if he says he's 70, I would be thinking he looks great for age - unless of course he is 60 and looks closer to 80 in the first place . . .

Guest fountainhall

I don't have a problem about people asking my age. I tell them the truth. I'm 39 . . .

Again? :p

If someone who is actually 60 says he is 50, then I would be thinking he looks like shit for his age. On the other hand, if he says he's 70, I would be thinking he looks great for age

Try and get a fraction of the boys who'll chat happy in the knowledge you are 50, then to chat when they 'know' you are 70. Not many, I reckon.

Guest luvthai

So when you do a profile for Gay Romeo or another site do you always tell your right age?

I tend to subtract a couple years don't know why but i do.

Guest fountainhall

I tend to subtract a couple years don't know why but i do.

I do the same. Is it just vanity? Or is there an element of fear that advancing years make us less attractive? Perhaps a bit of both. But my photos are always pretty much up to date. I don't want a look of horror when a boy meets me on a first date!

Try and get a fraction of the boys who'll chat happy in the knowledge you are 50, then to chat when they 'know' you are 70. Not many, I reckon.

Are you kidding? For some of those boys, the older you are the better they like it, especially if they think they can get their hooks into you, become your sole beneficiary, and it's much more likely you will have departed this planet long before someone who is 50.

Guest fountainhall

. . . especially if they think they can get their hooks into you, become your sole beneficiary, and it's much more likely you will have departed this planet long before someone who is 50.

Now why didn't I think of that!

Guest tdperhs

I don't have a problem about people asking my age. I tell them the truth. I'm 39 . . .

Believe that if you want to but I happen to know his Social Security number is

000-00-0004

Actually, after 60 I stopped thinking about age except as how it applied to my pensions. When I got to Thailand I discovered it kept me from doing work that many others who completely lacked any competence were being actively recruited to do. I do not worry about it too much because on Thursday, 22/7, my mother turns 91 and I have her genetic disposition for health.

people who lie about their age will also lie about other things.

It would be an extremely rare individual who doesn't lie about something on occasion. Even that famous gorilla, Koko - the one who has been taught sign language - lies. Can you imagine that? Gorillas can lie. I won't say that every single human on the planet lies, but I would definitely say they constitute the vast majority.

Even the story of George Washington and the cherry tree was a lie.

Washington's Cherry Tree: Legend or Fact?

cherrytree.jpg

Believe that if you want to but I happen to know his Social Security number is

000-00-0004

GB's so old that, when he went to grade school, he didn't study history because they didn't have any.

(I think I've stolen this from our common mentor, Mr. Dangerfield)

Ah, Rodney, still funny after all these years. One of the few comedians who could crack up Carson.

One of my favorite "ugly" lines of Rodney: I was so ugly as a child that they had to tie a porkchop to my face to get the dog to play with me!

Guest xiandarkthorne

This is a really curious thread.

Before hitting 50, I never had any success finding sexual partners I didn't have to pay or who weren't so drunk that they were nodding at "fore-" and asleep by "-play" BUT not after large amounts of silver began appearing in my hair.

I have always told people my real age, but now I actually look forward to being ten years older.

Just look at the farangs with pics posted on gayromeo and compare their pics with their posted age - I think either these guys had really rough lives or they are lopping off at least 10 years off their age - and in some cases I would venture maybe 15-20 years.

In my experience, this is not just a farang thing on GR. Some of the boys post pics where the date of printing stamp appears in the corner. Some I've seen have dated back to 2006. I also discovered by accident that some of the GR boys also post on dudesnude.com in the Thailand section. Sometimes the pics on their GR profile have been cropped to remove the date stamps and the same pic appears with the date stamp on DN. I recall one "current" pic on a GR profile having a 2002 stamp on DN!