TotallyOz

Laundry Places in Bangkok

I admit I am spoiled to have the laundry people in Pattaya do my laundry cheaply. I am now in Bangkok in the Sathorn area and I can't find one place that is reasonable. The hotel was 120 baht per item. The laundries in the neighborhood want 40-90 per item. Considering I pay only 200 baht for my pants, this is just not something I am going to do. Anyone who lives in Bangkok have recommendations on the best way to find a decent laundry place? My blue socks (I tried unsuccessfully to wash and dry myself) would be most appreciative. :)

Guest fountainhall

Long time ago, the Novotel's laundry had branches at a few BTS stations, including Saladaeng. They were very convenient and reasonably priced, but they died. Not sure how long you plan to stay in BKK. If it is for a few months and you are in an apartment, you might consider buying a washer/dryer and then getting a lady to come in for an hour a week to do ironing. Even a serviced apartment ought to have the basic infrastructure for this. You could then sell the machine when you leave.

FH, I have a washer and dryer in the place. The problem is operating it. :) I have ruined 3 loads already and I quit! I am not made for this kind of work.

You can't operate a washer!!!! Sorry, but this sounds like a lawyer joke.

Q: How many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Fifty four. Eight to argue, one to get a continuance, one to object, one to demur, two to research precedents, one to dictate a letter, one to stipulate, five to turn in their time cards, one to depose, one to write interrogatories, two to settle, one to order a secretary to change the bulb, and twenty-eight to bill for professional services.

120 baht per item sounds expensive, when a full bag can be done in Pattaya for as little as 60 baht.

As for your washing machine, just go for low temperatures, low spin speeds & hang everything out to dry ASAP after it finishes. Hopefully you have one of the European style front loading machines, as these seem to do less damage to the clothes.

120 baht per item sounds expensive, when a full bag can be done in Pattaya for as little as 60 baht.

As for your washing machine, just go for low temperatures, low spin speeds & hang everything out to dry ASAP after it finishes. Hopefully you have one of the European style front loading machines, as these seem to do less damage to the clothes.

You have to be kidding me???? You have 2 young MEN living with you who have probably done their own clothes for years. Put them to work!!!!!! LOL

However since I know you won't do that www.hqhostel.com is just off Silom not far from Csong Nosi BTS. They do laundry by the pound. Impossible to get done cheaper and in 24 hours. Don't give them anything you are in love with since they do a lot of laundry and once in awhile probably lose or misplace something.

Which is perfect for you because like me I know you are not in love with your clothes. Once again I have saved your ASS!! LOL

You have to be kidding me???? You have 2 young MEN living with you who have probably done their own clothes for years. Put them to work!!!!!! LOL

Oh dear, did I really declare my own living arrangements here? Don't recall that....

Anyhow, I had to show both of the 2 young men living with me how to use the washing machine. They both ignored my advice, to the extent that one is trying to ruin his clothes by washing @ 90C. He's not washing mine.

Or maybe you were referring to Michael?

Guest fountainhall

FH, I have a washer and dryer in the place. The problem is operating it.

If I can master one, you can! Presently I am in Singapore, but when I am back at the end of the week, I am happy to come over and demonstrate it for you. Is there no technician in the management office?

Oh dear, did I really declare my own living arrangements here? Don't recall that....

Anyhow, I had to show both of the 2 young men living with me how to use the washing machine. They both ignored my advice, to the extent that one is trying to ruin his clothes by washing @ 90C. He's not washing mine.

Or maybe you were referring to Michael?

Sorry

I was referring to Michael!!!

For those of you who want to have your laundry done just a day or so before your flight back home, I'd like to suggest making sure the laundry place will be open when you need to pick it up.

Not long ago, someone I knew had dropped off his laundry the day before his flight home. He was going to pick it up the next day in the afternoon and be all packed up and ready to go later that night. Only one problem. When he went to pick up his laundry, the place was closed.

He ended up having to arrange for a friend to pick up his laundry for him and then ship it back to him. Also, some of you might have noticed that quite often the laundry places don't give you a ticket or anything else to identify your laundry. They simply rely on recognizing you when you come in to pick it up. The laundry this man had gone to was one of those. His friend had a hell of a time trying to figure out which was the right laundry to pick up.

Guest fountainhall

When he went to pick up his laundry, the place was closed.

Happened to me, but thankfully I was staying on the same continent. As I was leaving after 5 days in Buenos Aires, the excellent guest house owner Kevin asked if I wanted any laundry done. I was scheduled to return briefly after 2 days at the Iguazu Falls on my way to Santiago. So I left all my dirty washing plus my large suitcase.

About to depart on the return flight to BA, a light plane crashed on to the runway, closing it for almost 3 hours and making my international connection almost impossible. Kevin was marvellous. He personally brought my bag to the domestic airport and organised transport across to the international airport. Unfortunately, he had forgotten it was a public holiday for the census. So no way could he get my laundry! Thankfully, I was passing through BA again 3 weeks later en route to Bangkok. But GB's advice is particularly important in Thailand where there are so many public holidays!

Guest voldemar

Michael,

I do not know where exactly you staying in Sathorn but couple of years ago I stayed in Marriot residence over there ( following by the way your advice you posted here)

and Thai guy I stayed with figured out very quickly how to operate washing machine...

However, let me repeat my ultimate advice: come to Pattaya. It is virtually empty at the moment and everything and everybody is at your service...

I used a laundry in Soi Sri Bum Pen (not far from the Malaysia hotel) and the prices were reasonable (I paid about 200 THB for "a bag full of worn clothes" - I can't specify any further, as I didn't weigh or count it, I just collected the clothes in a bag and handed it over). I think it was charged per piece, yes, there was a paper with numbers and a sum when I came to pick it up.

I wonder how they manage to remember without receipt which clothes belong to whom.

In a few rare cases, similar looking pieces where confused with those from other customers, now I have a pair of sock und a piece of underwear that look similar to mine, but belonged to someone else. The underwear is a Thai brand, so I hope it belonged to a cute Thai boy and I wear it.

Price comparison to Europe: Where I now live I have to pay 4 EUR (~180 THB) for using the washing machine per load.

Recently stayed in Tarntawan and we used champ laundry in sap street like always. Not as cheap as in Pattaya but good. Around 10 min. walk from hotel. There is another one near boys street but little hidden and not so good. Paid for a big load for 2 people around 300 baht.