TotallyOz

Do You Avoid The Gay Scene in Thailand?

Are you into going to all the bars, events, etc that they have in Thailand? Or, are you more settled in and go to those places very rarely?

I think for me, it depends on what city I am in. When I am in Pattaya, I go out nightly or even more. :) But, when I am in Bangkok, I find I go out maybe once a week or every other week to the bars or massage places.

For me, I also think part of this is the other things that are offered in Bangkok keep me a bit busier.

Have you grown tired of the gay scene in Thailand or do you still LOVE it?

My only participation in the "gay scene" was going to DJ Station once a week. The b/f and I would get plotzed on the very generous drinks and have a great time.

That was for the three years we lived in Bangkok. Then we moved to Pattaya four years ago and pay no attention to gay establishments.

Good question Michael. Yes, In Chiang mai there are many fine restaurants and places to go and I hit the gay scene about once or twice a week, and then mostly at a friendly neighborhood bar. Most of the people at this bar are regulars and the scene is distinctly social and not sexual.

Guest fountainhall

I love it a great deal less than I used to. Part, I suppose, is just me getting older. Part is I've been either visiting very regularly or living here for 33 years and I find the whole scene has gone downhill so much that it is far less spontaneous and far less enjoyable. But part is also I have the luxury of being able to travel regularly within the region and just find I enjoy what's on offer elsewhere more interesting (I know others will not agree at all with that last suggestion!)

I wouldn't say I am tired of it, though. For years, a friend and I often went to Solid Bar after dinner on Sundays. Now that is closed and there is no really similar bar around, we haven't decided what to do. Once every six months or so we'll hit Soi Twilight, usually to sit at Dick's and watch the goings on in the soi and only very occasionally to bar hop.

I haven't been to a sauna here for years. WhIlst I used to go to a gay massage place quite regularly, again it's been well over a year.

I think Michael is correct. In a big city like Bangkok there are a great many other interesting things to do. But there is also the growing concern about the extremely high rates of HIV amongst msn. Of course HIV is everywhere, but the rates in Thailand seem quite frighteningly high.

I'd guess the answer to Michael's question would largely depend on whether you live or spend long time periods in Thailand and your age and prior experiences. When I vacationed here, I was out doing something almost every night and typically it would be a gay venue mixed with ample quantities of alcohol. Now, however, I rarely even get tipsy and maybe go out once or twice a week.

Typically, like Khun Khortose, going out is for socializing (i.e., haven't been in a gogo bar in months and probably won't anytime in the near future - been there, done that, got bored).

I visit for only for holidays and will go to a gay venue every single day whilst in cities which have such wonderful facilities available.

As part of my holiday will include visits to places such as Nong Khai, Luan Prabang etc, there's usually an enforced break from gay night life.

I also exercise restraint with alcohol, often having one alcoholic drink, then moving onto water.

Guest luvthai

I find now when I visit I am content to sit at an outdoor bar and watch the street scene. I seldom go to the gogo bars and when I go to the beach I end up at pattaya park rather than sitting at a vendor site. I am more active during the days with walking to the various malls and along the beach road. I don't eat thai food so going out to eat at night is something I do like every other evening. I pick up a movie and stay in some nights. I always rent places with a kitchen so morning meals are eaten in.

As I sit alone in my room back home, in a locale where the first four letters are HELL and the last four letters are TOWN, I dream of sitting at Good Boys, in the Plaza, with a beer in one hand and a, well you know, in the other hand. But sitting with my farang friends in an outdoor bar would also bring contentment.

Guest Cedric

Kokopelli I hope it's not as bad as all that? At least you can chat bout it on Thai forums. BTW are you in Thailand or other?

The "gay scene" has never attracted me, not that I've never sat through a drag show in Barcelona or any other iconic must do's but these are the exceptions rather than the rule. I will do the famous gay night spots in any city at least once.

I mostly have agendas anyway that have nothing to do with the gay scene, so its not the foremost reason I go to Thailand.

Its fun though to do a butterfly once in a blue moon, thrilling to be the fresh face on the block too. I love dancing so that's the draw card that can take me by surprise.

I find enough "gay scene" in Thailand just doing my thing, it's not like you have to live bars and clubs to find it there.

Not really into the gay bars that much but I am a sucker (pun not intended but welcome any way) for the gay massage places. But then being back home makes me think I would rather be at a gay bar in Bangkok than here.

Guest JamesBarnes

I feel very fortunate that in Chiang Mai, there are several bars that enjoy the regular patronage of facinating foriegners and local Thais. After a long day slaving over a hot keyboard, I like nothing more than a few glasses of something witty and some relaxing conversation.

Guest thaiworthy

I feel very fortunate that in Chiang Mai, there are several bars that enjoy the regular patronage of facinating foriegners and local Thais. After a long day slaving over a hot keyboard, I like nothing more than a few glasses of something witty and some relaxing conversation.

Chiang Mai is certainly the right place for that! Which is why I enjoy reading posts from fascinating foreigners like Bob and Khor Tose.

Guest anonone

As a visitor in Thailand for only a week at a time, I dive head-first into the gay scene and rarely pop up for air. I stay at hotels marketed to gays, hit the gay bars (host and gogo) every night, enjoy the male-for-male massage, and so on.

It is interesting to consider how that would change if I stayed for longer periods of time. Difficult to fathom at tis point in my life.

Kokopelli I hope it's not as bad as all that? At least you can chat bout it on Thai forums. BTW are you in Thailand or other?

I recently returned from a two month visit in Thailand and the forums do provide an outlet from the humdrum here in H'town.

When in Thailand every night is a night out with friends and my bf for pleasure of some sort; the only limiting factor is money, money, money.

Chiang Mai is certainly the right place for that! Which is why I enjoy reading posts from fascinating foreigners like Bob and Khor Tose.

Sorry but I can't let this go unchallenged. Good god, man (Khun Thaiworthy), if you find either Khun Khortose or myself "fascinating", you need to get out more! :p

Sorry but I can't let this go unchallenged. Good god, man (Khun Thaiworthy), if you find either Khun Khortose or myself "fascinating", you need to get out more! :p

I beg to differ. Obviously you haven't seen my commercials.

post-391-0-36773600-1334893720_thumb.jpg

Guest thaiworthy
When in Thailand every night is a night out with friends and my bf for pleasure of some sort; the only limiting factor is money, money, money.

When in Thailand every night is a night out with friends and my bf for pleasure of some sort; the only unlimiting factor is honey, honey, honey.

Not at all! In fact, I come to Thailand for holiday because it has a gay scene. But I do not really enjoy bars (gogo or host) and discos (music too loud, lighting is bad), I go there to hook up, so once I found someone, I leave these areas as quickly as possible. When I meet friends, I don't take them to gay areas, we go elsewhere (cinema, shopping, dining, sightseeing).

I come for holiday, so I have to make the most of my time. I roughly manage (in Bangkok as well as Pattaya) an equilibrium between spending one night in gay bars/discos and meeting old friends the other night.

Guest fountainhall

Whilst I said in an earlier post that I avoid it much more now than before, certainly during the first dozen and more years I started visiting Bangkok regularly, I would feel very deprived if I was unable to hit many of the bars and saunas. We've had threads before about all the 'in' places in the 70s and 80s, but I more or less spent all my evenings in places like Apollo (I was totally in love with the barman - totally unreciprocated :o ), Volt, Obelisks and the sleaze bars like Stockholm (only a few times) and Twilight (uncountable number of times :p ).

If I was visiting now for the first time, I expect I'd do exactly the same!