Guest Wynn90210

Carrying Passport in Thailand

Guest Wynn90210

I have read that Thai law requires one to have their passport with them all times. I do not wish to have any problems with police and will do this but I do not with to loose the passport. Is an International Drivers License the same at the passport if the police ask you for ID?

Guest thaiworthy

At least keep a copy of all relevant pages. I have been carrying mine, and have a copy as well, but eventually I'll just keep the copy. Yes, the law says you should keep the passport on you at all times, but most all will accept the copy.

The International Driver's License is only good for 90 days in Thailand. It is not a substitute for a passport.

Khun TW is correct, it's required but almost nobody (at least among the permanent residents and long-timers I know) does it. The only people I know that will ask to see it are banks, airports, hotels, landlords, language schools, any place you obtain a purchase/discount card, the various utility outfits (cable, internet, telephone) when you sign up for services, and you might be asked to produce it if you go through a police immigration checkpoint (I don't think there are many of those in the south but you'll occasionally run into one of those within a 100 miles or so of an international border, e.g., there's often one or more between Chiangrai and the borders). I don't drive here but have asked various friends who do if they're ever asked for their passport when the cops stop them for some infraction and, so far, all of them have said "no" (they just show their driver's license or, more often than not, some pieces of paper with the King's picture on it....).

Whenever the topic comes up here in Chiangmai, it seems I'm the only doofus that always carrys his passport (everyone else, though, seems to be carrying a photocopy of the passport photo page). It's no hassle to me as I'm used to doing since the late 90's and never leave home without taking that, the wallet, home keys, sunglasses, etc. During Songkran, it's safely covered with a plastic baggie.

Guest fountainhall

One further idea. Don't just carry around a photocopy. Before you leave your home country, copy the personal details page of your passport, cut it to size and then have it laminated. This will fit neatly into most pockets. And should anyone happen to ask to see it, it is often far easier to read than a fraying photocopy that may perhaps have been smudged.

I have an annual visa renewal here in Thailand. As soon as I have each one processed, I have two copies of the passport page and the new re-entry permit photocopied and laminated so that I have passport info on one side and visa info on the other. I have never been asked for my passport, but I am happier carrying this around rather than the actual passport itself.

Guest magnolia

locally and for day trips i never carry passport, i got thai driver licence and i was never stopped driving the car. if i stay in hotel when i travel i carry my passport since they need it for check in. i took photos of my passport and it is in my iphone. if you drive motorbike they always pull you over so be careful with that. some of our friends are police and they have great electronic database so just by checking your name and DOB they can pull you up. law says you should carry the passport.

an IDL is NOT a valid replacement. Most people are completley unaware what it is-its simply a translation of what your original DL is valid for and is being fased out (an initiative of the EU-to please the many brits, i guess) as DL's are getting standardised and mulit-lingo. The idea that many USAers have, that the 2 are interchangeable is well, uh, tipical US and does not hold outside that area of this world.

If magn was inded never ever stopped for driving a car-good luck, hope you can keep it up- those boys in brown like those purple notes for any perceived -real or not-infringement f some local law.

The idea that many USAers have, that the 2 are interchangeable is well, uh, tipical US and does not hold outside that area of this world.

Typically, no matter what phase of the moon, Americans indeed know the difference between a passport and an international driver's license.

As for getting stopped by a cop for a traffic violation, I've asked quite a few around here (Chiangmai) as to what type of ID the cops request to see. Everyone has answered "only a driver's license" (or IDL) and that no traffic cop ever asked them to see a passport. Whether you carry one, however, is up to you as perhaps you'll be the rare or first exception.

The IDL is simply verification that you have a driver's license in your home country and, in most cases, is a valid temporary driving license in other countries. As noted, the international driver's license issued in the US is valid on its face for a year; however, the rules/laws here in Thailand only allow its validity for a maximum of 90 days from your date of entry into Thailand.

Guest anonone

I used to carry my passport all the time in Thailand. Between the heat, the rain, and the late nights at the discos....it now looks like hell.

I now do what fountainhall recommends. I have a very good color photocopy of the picture/info page, laminated and sized to fit in my wallet. I don't even bother with a copy of the entry stamp each trip, though I probably should.

The only times I have needed the actual passport was at hotel check-in and when exchanging travelers checks for baht.

"the rules/laws here in Thailand only allow its validity for a maximum of 90 days from your date of entry into Thailand."

Yup, and after 90 days you effectively are driving without a license so your insurance coverage is null & void.

As for passports, the best translation of Thai law is that your passport must be readily available. In practice that means if you can call someone who can get it from your home and bring it to the station, then all is fine. With that in mind, I only carry a copy of the important bits around town but take the passport with me whenever I go elsewhere. That's worked fine for 9 years so far.

Guest Jovianmoon

I only carry a certified copy of the bio-data page with me when I'm in Thailand, which on occasion I've had to present on entry to DJ Station in Bangkok. I'm not sure why they sometimes need ID but maybe it's for a similarly mysterious reason that ID is sometimes required on entry to some clubs here in Perth (whatever your age), and I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with proof of age for farang in Bangkok. Still can't figure that one out.

Like anonone I don't normally carry a copy of the entry stamp, but probably should.

Here's a silly question: where would be the most convenient and easily accessible place to photocopy a document in Thailand?

Just about any photo copy or photo shop can copy a passport. I go with a color copy rather than b&w. Best to keep a copy of the visa entry page to prove you are legally in Thailand. I don't resize my passport copy to wallet size since I find it unreadable. Just make it the size of the original and keep it in plastic sleeve. Each to his own.

o my bad .. ive never bothered to keep my passport or a copy of it on me ..

lucky mr plod has never stopped me so far i guess.

Same here, I have been to Thailand only 7 times, and stayed alltogether there for about 6-7 months. Never has anybody wanted to see my passport elsewhere than when checking in to a hotel. When I go out, in daytime or night-time, I dont have anything with me except my phone and a comb and lighter + cigarrettes. Sometimes, if I get the chance to go out by myself alone (in the day), I have some hundred baht with me in my pocket. I could never even think about carrying a passport with me, that would be too much, as I never have a wallet either.

No passport; copy of passport; or wallet? Any ID at all? Nowadays the first thing police/EMTs, etc look at is your cell phone for emergency numbers in case of an accident, injury, death, etc. Thus always a good idea to have an ICE (in case of emergency) number listed in your cell phone.

Thus always a good idea to have an ICE (in case of emergency) number listed in your cell phone.

There's some charitable outfit up here in Chiangmai which occasionally hands out cards for this purpose, apparently because there have been multiple occasions where a falang is found unconcious and the cops and hospital personnel have trouble locating anybody. A US passport, of course, has a page with emergency contact information and one can also register that information with the embassy. For those yanks who don't carry their passports and/or that relevant information, perhaps a photocopy of the emergency contact page might also be wise to carry.

Guest timmberty

i dont even carry a phone on me when im out and about .. other than some baht and my hotel key card .. i have nothing .. be a waste of time mugging me for sure .. i dont even wear a watch .. so if i need to know the time i have to look in shop windows ...