Guest fountainhall

"Argo" - Great Movie

Guest fountainhall

Ben Affleck’s movie “Argo” goes on release in Thailand tomorrow. A Thai friend and I saw a preview screening this afternoon at Paragon. Please go and see it. It is masterful account of the escape of 6 US hostages from the Canadian Embassy in Teheran in early 1980.

It’s no surprise that the film won Best Picture at the Golden Globes and is up for Best Picture and Best Editing in the upcoming Oscars (as well as in 5 other categories). Affleck’s direction is kept on a tight reign and keeps pace and tension up from beginning to end. Nor is it a suprise to see George Clooney as one of the producers. It’s very much his kind of film.

Affleck, Alan Arkin and John Goodwin also shine in their performances. One suggestion, though: don’t leave as soon as the credits start to roll. There is an extra little piece of dialogue that is worth waiting for.

And for those interested in trivia. There is a slight anachronism near the end. The Swissair plane waiting to carry the hostages out of Teheran if they can get through three security checks is shown as a Boeing 747-300. That aircraft did not enter passenger service till 1983!!

Guest Jovianmoon

...a Boeing 747-300. That aircraft did not enter passenger service till 1983!!

Spoken like a true aviation enthusiast. You're a man after my own heart, FH! Though admittedly far more knowledgeable and observant - I really doubt I would have pinned that one. 

I've already seen Argo and greatly enjoyed it.  While some of it is contrived to make a better movie, the actual history and series of events are accurate.  I won't reveal anything about it, but one actor who plays a small part as an Iranian airport security guard - in my opinion he steals the whole movie.

Guest fountainhall

Argo won Best Picture and Best Director at the BAFTA Awards last night. It's now won a clean sweep of Best Picture and/or Best Director at the Golden Globes, American Film Institute, Critics' Choice, Broadcast Film Critics' Association, Producers' Guild and Directors' Guild Awards. Who'll now bet it will not pick up the Oscar for Best Movie?

Apparently there is a great deal of controversy regarding the accuracy of Argo. The Canadians are not so pleased about how their role was not credited in this movie. And there was no dramatic ending with the Iranians chasing the getaway plane as it departed Iran.

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/22/former-canadian-ambassador-renews-criticism-of-argo/

Guest fountainhall

It’s a movie, for goodness sake! Every film based on an historical event has, out of necessity, to condense days, weeks, years of action into 120 – 150 minutes. Massive editing and some form of dramatic license to illustrate certain events is therefore essential. Affleck himself has said the scene in the bazaar did not take place. So what? It illustrated in the space of a few short minutes the huge problems faced not only by the 6 hostages but all the hostages at that time.

When I saw the movie, the car chasing the 747 down the runway struck me as ridiculous. A fully loaded 747, as this was, has a minimum take off speed somewhere in the region of 280 kph. Do you seriously believe that any clapped out police vehicle in January 1979 Iran could have achieved that speed? I don’t. For me it stuck out like a sore thumb, as did the interrogation scene with the Iranian guards, But it’s a movie!

I note the Canadian Ambassador in annoyed because it is a Canadian story hijacked by Americans. Well, I’m sorry, Mr. Ambassador! Canada has a very fine film industry with lots of government subsidies. The Canadians have had many years in which they could have made the movie. They didn’t. Ben Affleck did. And his movie deserves the Oscar, I reckon.

I thought the movie was fantastic. I thought Ben did a great job in it and it deserves some Oscar recognition.

Jimmy Carter has been in the news a lot lately hasn't he? Interviews about this and about his grandson helping with the Romney video leak. I love Jimmy and wonder if he is out there for some other reason?

Anyway, I really enjoyed this movie a great deal but I enjoyed Beasts of the Southern Wild as well and hope it wins Best Picture.

Guest fountainhall

Had it been those police cars chasing that 747, I'd have totally lapped it up! Heck, I know they'd have got their ladders out and got into the cockpit to prevent it taking off!  :clapping:

Guest thaiworthy

Since the suspension of disbelief has been gone completely berserk here, I might well think it would be Godzilla to squash it flat. Failing that, maybe an army of aliens blasting it to pieces. And then there's King Kong . . .

Guest fountainhall

So Argo got Best Movie! Well done Ben Affleck, George Clooney etc.! Clearly I have to see Life of Pi now after Ang Lee picked up the Best Director oscar. Hope they'll bring it back in 3D for a week or two.

Guest abang1961

When Lee Ang 李安 was presented with the Best Director award, I saw the chance of Lincoln diminishing.

The Story of Pi was very difficult to bring from print to screen.

Lee's effort was definitely commendable.

When Michelle Obama came on screen, I was half-expecting Lincoln not to get the award.

Why?

Daniel-Day Lewis had won the Best Actor award.

And looking at the way they handed out the awards, it is like grade school-everyone goes home with something.

I had not watched Lincoln as it had yet to arrive in Singapore (niche market, perhaps)!

Lincoln is period-drama whereas Argo is more recent, more contemporary.

Lincoln could be converted into a mini-tv series...

Guest fountainhall

I think HBO have beaten you to it. A series titled ""Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Abraham Lincoln’s Killer" is due to be aired in Asia quite soon, I believe. I haven't seen Spielberg's Lincoln either and understand it deals more with the pre-assassination period. 

Spoiler alert,  the last scene has Abe on his way to see .........  Really not sure how other nationalities would view Lincoln. There is one rather ribald joke he tells about our British cousins which involves another President, George Washington.

Guess I have to see Argo now!!!

Finally saw some bits and pieces of Argo on Thai TV including the last 20 minutes. Also saw a documentary on Argo.

From the little I saw it seemed much of the material at the airport, was contrived for dramatic impact and not factual.

And the Keystone cops routine was a joke.