Guest Devint6669

Corner Bar Change Again to DoubleShot

Guest Devint6669

Corner bar was a very nice Sunee Plaza beer bar where many expats gathered to have a drink. But in the last couple years it had so many  changes of ownership. So many guys have told me rumors about the bar was sold to a German guy, now I can comferm  it is true the bar was sold to a friend of mind and he will call it DoubleShot, ( guess what that means)now it's still under construction but he told me that it will open between 27 apr. or 30 apr.. We should all gather soon and have a drink over there with the new management. Because the new boss is a good guy in my perceptions.

Guest fountainhall

I was only once in Corner Bar about six months before it closed for the first time (about 2 years ago?). What made it so pleasant were the boys working there. I then heard that the first set of new owners fired everyone - for what reason, I have no idea. I hope the new owner realises that it is not just drink prices and the size of drinks that make or break a bar - it is also the friendly staff. So I hope he will get some good guys to work for him and look after them well.

It now appears that the Former Corner Bar and renamed Double Shot is very close to opening.  As reported here by Devint6669 the new owners have put a lot of money into it and it certainly will deserve a look and patronage.

That Corner has been dead for too long and Double Shot with its 2 shots in every drink should provide a new place for people to try and help all the surrounding businesses.

Yes thats right a new successful business always brings new business into the area and everyone benefits.

Look for the Grand Opening in the next few days

Guest Devint6669

I been asking question to some of my friend in pattaya, and I'm waiting to find out more about the subject of the old corner bar

Guest Devint6669

I Just add my confirmation now... This New bar will open tonight for the guys that are interested it's time to go to find out more about this place.... I will go soon to see if the staff is cute are not.

If some one go tonight please post some photo if it's possible

Guest joseph44

Latest rumours: The manager got kicked out as well as the owners' "assistant" Mr. Ferre. 

Supposedly, one guy called Mark from Belgium is managing the place now. 

Not sure about ownership. 

It appears from posts on other Boards that they are well on their way to failure.  Poor service, loud music and average drinks (not doubles).  It constantly amazes me the number of people who will spend a fortune on a Bar with no idea how to run it!!

Guest scottishguy

It's a fairly commom failing - some people buy a bar and "run it" to suit themselves, the staff, and the hangers-on.

The paying customers often come far down the list for consideration.

Guest jomtien

If they are running it to suit themselves, then it isn't a failing.  What amazes me is people love to criticise and gossip but.....but....but....has anyone asked the owner what HE thinks?  I see him there every time I pass and I assume he can talk!  What does HE want from it?

Guest scottishguy

I'm sorry but if any bar (I'm not referring to CB specifically) is being run primarily for the pleasure of the owner and staff and to the detriment of the customers experience (too loud, too noisy, too cliquey) then in my opinion it most certainly IS a failing. 

I'm not going to pay so the owners and staff can have a great time amongst themselves. Call me old fashioned!

Guest fountainhall

I have not visited the bar and so my comments are based only on what I have read elsewhere. It does seem to me, though, that anyone considering opening a bar in a major gay location and close to several other bars must have four primary objectives - location, ambience, great (cute) staff and reasonable prices. Fall down on any one and you start getting into trouble.

For Corner Bar, the location is surely all but perfect. The ambience has come in for some criticism, especially with the loud music (arrrgghh!) and bar stools facing towards the bar when the whole point of being in Sunee is people-watching - not waiter watching (although that might change if the waiters are aggressively cute and sexy :p ). If they are swivel stools, fine. If not, bad mistake!

I haven't heard yet about the staff. But I see there is comment about prices with some advertised at Bt. 95 but for which a punter paid Bt. 135. Ambiguity about pricing is death to me, for a bar immediately gets my back up if I have to pay more than an advertised price. Also, does the "Double Shot" name mean double shot drinks? If not, then expect more criticism.

And no! I have never owned a bar. But I have spent a career in a service-related industry and know that research and basic honesty are the most effective policy.

Guest scottishguy

Disclaimer #1 - I haven't visited Double-Shot - but from reading around I got the impression that they have a 95B drinks "menu" and another, standard, menu at 135B or whatever. I think I read somewhere that for 135B you get Gordon's Gin and for 95B you get Gilbey's. Suits me as I prefer Gilbey's (which I've never seen in the UK) to Gordon's anyway. I also read that 1 customer complained he couldn't taste the gin in the 135B drink.

Disclaimer #2 - Like Fountainhall I have never owned a bar but I have worked with the public all my life. From observation and with all due respect to any bar-owners I would suggest that running a small bar is hardly rocket-science. Find a good location, look round the existing bars to see what the demographic is , hire some attractive and friendly staff, keep the place clean and tidy, sell booze at transparent prices which makes you a sufficient profit, provide entertainment/music appropriate to your Clientele, and BE THERE (otherwise the staff will steal the eyes out your head.). 

I am informed by those who have visited the place, both farang and Thai, that the lighting and music is dreadful. Indeed people are laughing about the fact that 4 million baht is said to have been spent on the place which is a sure loser.

Guest travelerjim

I am informed by those who have visited the place, both farang and Thai, that the lighting and music is dreadful. Indeed people are laughing about the fact that 4 million baht is said to have been spent on the place which is a sure loser.

IF 4 Million Thai Baht was spent on the remodel of Corner Bar...

All was not lost...

It was a DOUBLE-SHOT boost for the local Thais businesses who did the remodel

Quite frankly, I have never been able to understand the need for Expats who do buy a club/bar/restaurant

and proceed to do a complete makeover/remoder...spending milllions of Thai baht and closed for many weeks to remodel...

when the business was already a "turn key" operation ready to open for business. All that was needed was good management.

Mike's La Cage, Corner-Bar, along with many others ...are good examples of this.

Oh well...TIT...This Is Thailand...

and some Expats have a lot of money to spend to create their perfect dream of a Thai business.

tj

Guest jomtien

It was a DOUBLE-SHOT boost for the local Thais businesses who did the remodel

and some Expats have a lot of money to spend to create their perfect dream of a Thai business.

tj

Guest jomtien

of course, you're not here to make a judgement, are you?  You are mostly commenting on what other posters have said.

Guest scottishguy

Oh come on NIrish, I bet half the reason you like Bombay Sapphire (as do I) is because, in that bottle, it's a camp colour !!

Ceejay - I actually do like Gilbeys but I have only ever found it in Germany and Hungary.

Thanks for the link, I never thought for one minute that Amazon sold booze!

At Xmas I bought a bottle of Hendrick's for a friend - the miserable sod hasn't even opened it yet and I was looking forward to a snifter.

:good:

ha you're right SG I DO like the bottle, it's much prettier than all the rest for sure :-)  BUT I do also honestly think the taste of the gin is by far more superior to many others around the same price, although in most bars it's usually a bit more expensive than the rest too I find, but to me is worth the difference - and if the lovely blue bottle getting served to me gives off the vibe of "look, screaming fag in the corner" and so another screaming fag decides to come over and join me for some gayer gin then so much the better :-)

ps who's that in your pic ?  I was going to say "was that you when you were young?" -  but surely colour film only came out in the last 60 years or there about's or something so that would rule that option out then no ?? :-))  he he

Guest scottishguy

Telling you whether it's me (when I was even more gorgeous than I am now) depends on where your hand goes when you look at it.