TotallyOz

Best Pizza in Bangkok

The pizzas were 335 and 385 each. As they boys will tell you, they loved them. I told them I think I ordered enough for left overs tomorrow and they said, "Ha Ha. We will eat again after you go to bed."

And, when I woke up today, all the leftovers were gone. LOL I asked them why they didn't save me one piece, they said, "too good for save all night." As I am the one that usually gets the leftovers, I was surprised to see these guys eat them. That tells you how good they were!

Pizza Mama Dolores Rama 4 (all outside on the street)

On Saturday, 03.08.2013, I went to Mama Dolores Pizza on Rama 4 road (next to McDonald’s on the corner to Silom). I had a pizza with spinach and extra cheese for 85 THB. With that location, I did not expect fine dining; the pizza came on a single use paper plate and was pre-cut. I didn’t get any cutlery, I had to use my fingers for eating. The pizza itself was ok, however I prefer thick dough, this was rather thin. On their board with the menu they have a typo in the Thai word for spinach, ผักขม is correct (I only found out because I had to look it up in the dictionary, elsewhere in them menu it is spelled correctly.)

Verdict: cannot compare with Mama Dolores on Soi Yen Agat, but you can get a pizza cheap (from 60 Baht) and quick. Take away is available as well.

For a very unique take on Pizza, try: Nanjya Monjya

Address:Ground floor, Ascott Building 187 South Sathorn Road Bangkok, Thailand

The boys and I met 2 friends from Australia and 2 from China recently and we had a variety of their pizzas. Everyone in the group loved the taste. It was full of flavor and fun to watch as they cook it on the grill at your table. The pizzas are about 350 baht each and we had several types along with some sushi. We all gave the pizza a 4 star average. But, for fun, it was 5 stars. :)

Pizza.jpg

The boyfriend and I tried Amici Pizza at Siam Paragon. Siam is often busy, hectic and crazy. But, Amici was like an Oasis in the jungle that is Siam Paragon. It is well decorated, quite and pleasant. The head waiter was amazing. Perfect English. Excellent recommendations for drinks and food. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

We started off with a Watermelon Shake which we split until we tasted it and decided to get another frozen smoothie.

The waiter suggested the Delizaiosa Marscapone Cheese Pizza which was parma ham, mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. It was divine. It was without a doubt one of the best tasting pizza's I have tasted. The pizza was a bit too thin for me but it was crisp and tasted like you were being treated by the gods of Olympus to one of their meals. It was 420 baht.

In the end, we both gave it 5 stars. The BF also had the seafood pasta which was also amazing.

The place is a bit pricey but totally worth it IMHO

http://www.pomodorogroup.co.th/ourRestaurant_acimi.html

Amichi2.jpg

Pizza.jpg

SeafoodPasta.jpg

Amichi.jpg

WatermellonShake.jpg

Berry_Smoothie.jpg

AmiciReceipt.jpg

Guest Promsak

Michael I'm sorry but this is going a tad off topic, this thread being about pizzas in Bangkok but there is an article in today's Guardian about the trend to go back to traditional Neopolitan pizzas (not a pineapple in sight).

The trend is to use a sourdough thin base (bye the bye, Tops do a wonderful Sourdough white bread. Freshly baked on the premises. See what I did there? Brought the message back toThailand.:-) )

They list various places in the U.K. to get real pizza should your travels ever take you there.

If only I could convince myself into thinking that they were low carb, I could eat them guilt free.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/21/pizza-revolution-authentic-neapolitan-italian

Michael I'm sorry but this is going a tad off topic, this thread being about pizzas in Bangkok but there is an article in today's Guardian about the trend to go back to traditional Neopolitan pizzas (not a pineapple in sight).

The trend is to use a sourdough thin base (bye the bye, Tops do a wonderful Sourdough white bread. Freshly baked on the premises. See what I did there? Brought the message back toThailand.:-) )

They list various places in the U.K. to get real pizza should your travels ever take you there.

If only I could convince myself into thinking that they were low carb, I could eat them guilt free.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/21/pizza-revolution-authentic-neapolitan-italian

Thanks so much. Great article.

I have noticed this trend as well.

As far as carbs, what I do when I eat Pizza is eat 2 slices and then 4 hours later, eat two more. I think we need carbs and if done in moderation, they are good for you.

The waiter suggested the Delizaiosa Marscapone Cheese Pizza which was parma ham, mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. It was divine. It was without a doubt one of the best tasting pizza's I have tasted. The pizza was a bit too thin for me but it was crisp and tasted like you were being treated by the gods of Olympus to one of their meals. It was 420 baht.

. . . there is an article in today's Guardian about the trend to go back to traditional Neopolitan pizzas (not a pineapple in sight).

Good article. Thanks for the link Promsak.

Is that really the best Mount Olympus can cook up for its gods? I admit the Parma ham looks good, but the base (!) - it looks like a bloated popadom!

The average price paid for all those pizzas on sale on various places in Britain was £6. So approx 280 baht. By the time the taxes are added the one at Amici weighed in at nearly 500 baht.

I've eaten at a couple of pizza restaurants in Naples and they are spit and sawdust places but they have people Q -ing outside! They go to enjoy a fabulous authentic no-frills pizza, and to hell with the decor! The margherita is €3.50 so about £3 or 150 baht.

Guest bbillybb

I DONT KNOW BUT 1500b FOR A PIZZA NITE OUT IS A BIT MUCH FOR JUST 2 ppl. It did not appeal to me however as to the pictures. But then I was not thwere so I hope you had a great time. Your money too so who am I to complain. The idea it  to enjoy and I bet you did. :):)  Ciao

I was all set to ride to Christian's defence based on the quote in post #34. I was assuming it referred to a sit-down-at-table restaurant meal. Then I checked and it was an 85 baht cheapo. So the eating with fingers comment was reasonable. I don't know if Christian's pizza was freshly made for him or not. One thing I never buy is a slice of pizza that may've been cooked quite some time earlier. So, not eating those kinds of pizzas I rarely resort to using my fingers.

As I was rude about the appearance of the pizza in post #32, looking back earlier in this thread the Zanotti pizza in post #20 looks much more appealing. There again, it ran out at 500 baht (cost inclusive of taxes).

Fair comment from Koko. I'm just saying what I do, and I did say I rarely use my fingers, that means I sometimes do!

I recall an occasion many years ago: I was minding my business enjoying a meal on my own in an American restaurant. Chap eating at a nearby table yelled across . . ."You British?"

post-8358-0-71566200-1377624009_thumb.jpg

The pizza (Mama Dolores Rama 4) was at least freshly heated in the oven (I didn't watch if they prepared it for me).

One (of my many peculiarities) is that I don't like to have dirty hands. That simply means I want to wash after touch anything, don't even have to use soap and the towel can be soggy from the last 100 users before me (see thread on gaybuttonthai about Boric Acid - eye infection - soggy towels), it doesn't matter, running water is the important thing to make me feel clean. That street restaurant didn't have a bathroom, so I could not wash my hands before eating (and they felt dirty) and after eating (after licking my fingers to clean them).

Sometimes I eat pizza with my fingers, but I prefer fork and knife.

Pizzeria Koh Lanta

This Pizzeria is in a small dead-end Soi between Khao San and Rambuttri, opposite Wat Chanasongkram. I learned about it here: http://www.nikswieweg.com/ (website in German language with a few recommendations for food in Khao San area).

Pizza Caprizziosa 240 Baht, Fanta 25 Baht, I left 15 Baht tip (the staff came running after me to give my change back, quite a different experience from Bucky on SGT). Their menu says 7% VAT will be added, but there was no VAT on my bill, I paid the price from the menu.

Delicious, will go back some day.

pizzeriakohlanta_zpse1582468.jpg

Guest anonone

That looks like one of the better Thai pizzas I have seen pictures of...glad to see the knife and fork provided for you as well.

And after hearing about the costs of all this falang food, I have to say I am thrilled I enjoy Thai food so much.  More money in my wallet for the bars....

:good:

We just ate at Zanotti's and while the food was good the pizza was horrible. Not one person liked it. I'll try to work on a report for this place but with nothing good to say, I am not sure how I will accomplish this for one of my favorite Italian places in Bangkok.

As far as carbs, what I do when I eat Pizza is eat 2 slices and then 4 hours later, eat two more. I think we need carbs and if done in moderation, they are good for you.

you just follow old wisdom  - what is better than one  slice of pizza ?

ans : two slices of pizza 

Zanotti's Restaurant Review from Sept 3, 2013

I have always liked Zanotti's and have eaten there at least 50 times over the years. When I lived at the Marriott on Sathorn Soi 3, the boys and I ate there about once per week. We always enjoyed our meal.

However, tonight was an exception. We had the 3 of us and Stef from Paris joined us for dinner. Stef is a great chef and he knows food. I am bigger than the other 3 combined and I know food as well. So, please Mr. Firecat, don't get upset with this review.

The restaurant is in a location that is very convenient to the gay area. I had a friend once stay at the apartments above this and loved it. I have considered them as well.

We ordered a few appetizers and 4 main courses (2 pizza's). We also had an eggplant pizza for appetizer. The eggplant appetizer was very good and the boys liked the fried clams.

We ordered the Bomba Pizza and a Sausage Pizza. We were all in agreement, the pizzas were horrible. We give them a very generous 2 stars. When I say generous, the boys didn't want to give 1 star but one of the pizza's was in edible.

I am willing to give the place another try on this trip as the pasta dishes tasted great and we all agreed they were good. But, as for the pizza, it is nothing I would write home about. :)

Address & Location

Zanotti Il Ristorante Italiano

21/2, 1st Floor, Saladaeng Colonade Condominium, Saladaeng Road, Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand

Tel: +66 02 636 0002

Fax: +66 02 636 0221

http://www.zanotti-ristorante.com/

Dining_room.jpg

Sausage_pizza.jpg

Bomba_Pizza.jpg

Well, being a veggie, I can't give much advice on fleshy pizzas but the best four cheese pizza I've tasted in Bangkok is on Sukhumvit soi 8 (Skytrain NANA).

It is served on the terrace of the Monsoon Hotel (a short way down the soi on the right).

Crispy base and VERY cheesy. Served with the usual condiments incuding a bottle of chilli oil.

About 280 Baht (with possibly a 'plus' or two).

Of course your 'boys' being Thai probably hate cheese.

Thanks for your post. I went there last week, and the pizza was to my taste, worth going back. (When I have time, I will write a full report.)

The photos are great and the pizza looked good so can you be more specific about why it was bad.

Was it the dough, sauce , meats , spices.  I find pizza to be very personal.  I like thick pan type dough, others like this crispy almost toasted pita bread type dough.  I like very little sauce and more cheese, others the opposite. In fact many times I prefer a white pizza with no sauce at all.

Since I know you have been there many times Michael and always pleased , what changed that essentially made the pizza terrible.

Inquiring minds want to know??

Was it the dough, sauce , meats , spices.  I find pizza to be very personal.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. :) LOL

It tasted horrible. It was actually the worst thing I have tasted in ages. So much so that when I took a bite, I knew I would be sick. Within an hour, I was bent over the toilet. If you want more details, the boys did photograph that as well. :)

Guest jomtien

It tasted horrible. It was actually the worst thing I have tasted in ages. So much so that when I took a bite, I knew I would be sick. Within an hour, I was bent over the toilet.

You didn't make the mistake of ordering the "Monty Chicken Special Pizza" did you?