TotallyOz

Best Pizza in Bangkok

Yes, yes, yes and yes. :) LOL

It tasted horrible. It was actually the worst thing I have tasted in ages. So much so that when I took a bite, I knew I would be sick. Within an hour, I was bent over the toilet. If you want more details, the boys did photograph that as well. :)

you should disinfect yourself immediately with shot of Mekhong whisky or gin  and you would avoid whole adventure

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

What was the question again?

You didn't make the mistake of ordering the "Monty Chicken Special Pizza" did you?

IMO that's a bit below the belt - Monty doesn't post on this Forum; I know he has his faults, but as he doesn't have right-of-reply I think that's sneaky.

The poster known as 'Monty' last posted on this Message Board on 7th Sept 2006. 

However, despite his 'retirement' from this Message Board, he has been 'active' on at least one other board until recently. Even so, I don't feel it appropriate to carry over 'in jokes' from one board to another. Let's leave the Monty jokes where they belong.

Any of our Chiang Mai members tried this?

Nope but I will if I can find the place?  Any idea where it might be?  I find a couple of places with that name by googling but I'm guessing it's the place on Ratchamanka (the east-west street inside the old city opposite the west end of Loi Kroh) which is referred to as a german restaurant but also notes it has pizza.  If/when I make it there, I'll report here (but I'll warn you in advance that I'm a fan of Chicago-style pizza and usually dislike the modern pizzas with thin crust tasting like cardboard!).

Mama Dolores Pizza

Christian had suggested Mama Dolores Pizza to me so the BF and I met him for dinner there last night.

First, I really enjoyed meeting Christian. He is a super nice guy with a fascinating life. The BF who does not like many farangs in Thailand even said when we left that he really like Christian and was happy to have met him. He never says this about anyone but Christian spoke in a way that he understood and was a part of the conversation all night.  That is very rare as he normally sits at the table and is very quiet.

Mama Dolores is an open air Pizza place near Sathorn Soi 1 in Bangkok. The place was full when the BF and I got there at bit before 8 and we had to wait for a table.  The waiters were nice and professional. There was a mix of both farang and Thai with the Thai's having the majority.

We ordered a make your own pizza and put ham, blue cheese, corn and pineapple on it.  The crust is a bit thinner than I prefer but the taste of the pizza was great.  We all gave it a 4 star. 

The BF also had some lamb kabobs and they were OK.  The french fries and onion rings were also tasty.

All in all, we really enjoyed the pizza and the company.  We will defiantly be going back there many times as the BF really liked the place as well. 

Thank you to Christian for a great recommendation!

Mama Dolores Old Time Pizza
20 Thanon Yen Akat, Thung Maha Mek Sathon, Bangkok 10120, Thailand

mama-dolores-pizza-2.jpg

mana-delores-pizza-1.jpg

mama-dolores-pizza-3.jpg

It was a pleasure to meet Michael and his boyfriend.

I have been to Mama Dolores four times, as far as I remember. The pizza is good, worth coming back. They are expanding their menu, they changed the menu twice since I first went there about two years ago.

One think I didn't like: the music was a bit too loud. I felt the need to shout at Michael across the table.

Not to be confused with Mama Dolores on Soi Sri Bam Pen (opposite Ibis Hotel, only a few months old) and the other pizzeria opposite the second 7/11 (on Sri Bam Pen, when you come from Malaysia Hotel).

Michael you are slipping up in your reports . No prices??

LOL I guess I am.

The prices at Mama Dolores was very reasonable.  Pizzas start out at 99 baht for a small and I think 179 for Medium.  You are then charged for the items you put on your pizza.  I got a medium with 4 additional toppings.  I think the additional toppings were 29 baht each.

Drinks were also reasonable.  The price for a soda was 30 baht.  Good deal ey?

I also had a nice smoothie and I think it was 99 baht.

All in all, it came to about 400 baht per person for everything including tip.

First, I really enjoyed meeting Christian. He is a super nice guy with a fascinating life. The BF who does not like many farangs in Thailand even said when we left that he really like Christian and was happy to have met him. He never says this about anyone but Christian spoke in a way that he understood and was a part of the conversation all night.  That is very rare as he normally sits at the table and is very quiet.

I'm really happy for your boyfriend and glad he found himself in decent company. :good:

One of sights I hate to see in LOS are farangs in animated discussion in company of their Thai boys or girls bored to death and totally ignored bar occasional grope.

Sukhumvit farangs seem to be worse offenders than Silom ones for some reason. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Guest trailrider

I like pizza, and I have been to "Mama Dolores" on Soi Yen Akat (Sathorn, about 1 km from Malaysia Hotel) several times. It's a pizzeria (i.e. all they have on the menue is pizza) and it's completely open, no walls, just a roof, so you can see how they prepare your pizza.

This place serves the best pizza that I have found in Bangkok but I have not been to some of the places reviewed in this thread..  Christian's review is incorrect in that the menu is more extensive and serves other food which I believe is very good.

Mama Dolores' menue has been extended. My review (quoted above) was from a visit about a year ago when they had only pizza (as far as I remember).

Some weeks ago, I went to Mama Dolores in Soi Sri Bam Pen (opposite Ibis Hotel). Tey have a gas fired oven. Pizza quality was similar to Mama Dolores on Yen Agat, however their focus is on delivery. There are boxes for pizza delivery on the desk and we (a friend and I) had to ask for the menu and then get up to get the menu and to order and we had to get cutlery ourselves. Good pizza, but no service.

As a little light relief from all those lovely calories, apparently someone has really got stuck into the dough and toppings debate and come up with a formula for the 'perfect pizza'. 

A mathematician claims to have come up with the first-ever formula for the 'perfectly proportioned' pizza, taking into account factors like the ratio of topping to base.

Dr Eugenia Cheng said pizza lovers get more topping per bite in a smaller pizza, but a more even spread of bites in a larger pizza.

The mathematician from the University of Sheffield, calculated a ratio to ensure maximum flavour of topping to base.

It shows that even if a person keeps the same amount of dough and topping, the ratio of topping to base in an average bite changes with the size of the pizza and smaller pizzas typically have more topping per bite than larger ones.

Dr Cheng said it is not only about how thick the base is, but about the balance of flavours between the topping and the dough that determines how much topping an individual can enjoy per bite.

She used d as the constant volume of dough and t for the constant volume of topping to come up with a mathematical formula for the ratio of topping to base in a median bite.

Dr Cheng calculated that in relative terms, the average bite taken from an 11 inch pizza has 10 per cent more topping than the average bite from a 14 inch pizza.

The formula also reveals that while smaller pizzas have more topping per bite, for home cooks seeking lots of extras on their creations, there is a larger risk of their pizza having a soggy bottom.

She created another formula, alpha, divided by the radius of a pizza, squared to work crust sizes for pizzas of different diameters.

She explains the size of the pizza's crust is proportional to the thickness of the pizza - the larger the pizza, the thinner the base, so the smaller the crust.  

She determined the value of alpha was 15 experimentally, by making several pizzas of different sizes.

The mathematician came up with these formulas as she was asked by chain restaurant PizzaExpress to work out why its 14 inch Romana pizzas, which have a thinner and crispier base than the Classic 11 inch pizzas, are proving so popular.

Dr. Cheng has found that the secret lies in proportions of the 14 inch pizza as it cooks just as evenly as the smaller version but the topping is spread over a larger area and goes close to the edge of the pizza.

However, technically, pizza lovers in search of the most topping per bite should opt for the 11 inch classic version, based on the research.

post-8358-0-44811500-1382290769_thumb.jpg

Finally, some more 'science' . . .

Rebecca Farrer, Brand Director at PizzaExpress said that regular diners at the chain might not know that 'it’s our dough, how our pizzaiolos stretch it and how they arrange the toppings that really makes the difference, ensuring their favourite pizza is cooked perfectly every time.'

The formula comes as PizzaExpress tweaks its dough for the first time since 1965, adding 15g to its pizza recipes.  

'It may not seem like much at all but it means that the thickness of every Romana pizza, which is rolled with a rolling pin to ensure an even amount of dough across the whole of the base and no air pockets, is even more consistent than before,' 

'For people who are as obsessive about pizza as we are, 15g makes all the difference,' she added.

I guess I have a lot to learn; never heard of pizzaiolos!

So next time you indulge, just try and remember the 'science' that goes into making that slice of pizza - but I think I'll carry on in blissful ignorance of that rather ridiculous perfect pizza formula!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2464404/Formula-perfect-PIZZA-revealed-Mathematician-creates-equation-ensure-dont-burn--undercook--margherita.html#ixzz2iHhA1tsa 

As a little light relief from all those lovely calories, apparently someone has really got stuck into the dough and toppings debate and come up with a formula for the 'perfect pizza'. 

attachicon.gifPizza formula.jpg

I certainly hope the good doctor doesn't try to apply her formula finding research to penis size and sexual satisfaction. By the time I finished reading her formula for perfect pizza size I was no longer hungry. If she tried to apply it to sex, most of us would likely fall asleep before the deed was done!

Guest Promsak

One of sights I hate to see in LOS are farangs in animated discussion in company of their Thai boys or girls bored to death and totally ignored bar occasional grope.

Sukhumvit farangs seem to be worse offenders than Silom ones for some reason. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

I couldn't agree more with your comments about poor suffering Thais having to pretend to be interested in farang/farang conversations and so I clicked on "like" BUT please kindly feel free to omit me from your Sukhumvit generalisation. :rolleyes:

The BF who does not like many farangs in Thailand even said when we left that he really like Christian and was happy to have met him. He never says this about anyone but Christian spoke in a way that he understood and was a part of the conversation all night.  That is very rare as he normally sits at the table and is very quiet.

NB. My emphasis - Rog

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on Michael's comment regarding his friend disliking falungs. Ok, he wrote 'many farangs' but that definitely implies he doesn't like the majority of 'them'. It depends on what is meant by the term 'many' I guess. 

Sometimes you read that foreigners (note to any readers new to Thailand: farang is the Thai word for foreigner - when I write falung that is just a common written variant that supposedly reflects the way Thais pronounce it) don't like being referred to as a farang, but then foreigners do the same referring to others as Thais. I think the problem is when a foreigner thinks he ought to be referred to by his name, Johnny, Pete, Steve, or whoever, rather than being de-personalised by use of a catch-all expression, although to be fair I have never been called farang to my face, it tends to be used between Thais speaking amongst themselves when referring to you. 

Certainly, once a group of people become referred to in a particular way, they can henceforth be seen to 'be all the same'. Hence some foreigners feel being referred to as falung pigeon-holes them. The same could be said for nationalities, we sometimes use the expression TiT (This is Thailand!) and its many variants. Russians and Arabs, fairly or unfairly, tend to be all lumped together (see recent comments on the Thailand wants to sock it to Tourists thread) and so on. That's fine if any particular group has a good reputation, but if it's a bad one, you're a marked man already! I think I know how Peter Lorre must have felt in M. (famous 1931 film directed by Fritz Lang).

I couldn't agree more with your comments about poor suffering Thais having to pretend to be interested in farang/farang conversations . . .

Taking this a stage farther, I wonder just how many Thais actually like pizza. Don't we sometimes make the mistake of assuming because we do that everybody else does? Probably in the case of pizza that's a fair assumption, especially amongst younger Thais now that pizzas are so readily available, almost an international food along with hamburgers and the like. Be that as it may, it is probably worth simply asking any young Thai(s) you intend to invite out for a meal "do you like pizza", and if the reply is "up to you" you know it means they aren't too keen . . . not a cast iron way of interpreting it, but very often true.

'One of sights I hate to see in LOS are farangs in animated discussion in company of their Thai boys or girls bored to death and totally ignored bar occasional grope.

Sukhumvit farangs seem to be worse offenders than Silom ones for some reason. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong'

I couldn't agree more with your comments about poor suffering Thais having to pretend to be interested in farang/farang conversations and so I clicked on "like" BUT please kindly feel free to omit me from your Sukhumvit generalisation. :rolleyes:

Removed you from my "unkind Sukhumvit farangs" list as requested 

vinapu

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on Michael's comment regarding his friend disliking falungs. Ok, he wrote 'many farangs' but that definitely implies he doesn't like the majority of 'them'. It depends on what is meant by the term 'many' I guess.

Well, we lived in Pattaya for a long time and he mostly dislikes Pattaya Farangs. But, I think that has to do with the constant BS a "taken" boy gets from others trying to woo him away.

I went on a boat trip to the River Kwai a few years back. It was organized by a group of Pattaya expats and they charged a price for the boys to go but provided some whiskey etc and guaranteed the boat. I took around 20 guys with me. That means I paid for them, paid for their ticket, their transportation and liquor. I won't even begin to say how much this cost. But, one of the sponsors of the trip took a liking to one of the guys I brought. He was insistently following him around and hitting on him. The young lad was nice but kept saying no and moving on. Finally, the older farang said, "I am one of the sponsors of this trip and you must go to my cabin with me." Many Thais would simply do as asked but he turned back and said as he pointed at me, "That is my sponsor for this trip." The old man came over and asked my name and I chatted with him and he asked if the boy was taken and I said, "Yes, he is." Truth is that he wasn't but he had already filled me in on the guy. The man said, "well, I pay a great deal for this trip and guys like him should not be invited."

The story is simple. There are many like that from guys I know. When a farang treats a guy with such disrespect, it is often taken against the whole lot of us. Sad, but true.

Guest Devint6669

The man said, "well, I pay a great deal for this trip and guys like him should not be invited."

This guy was lucky that it was not me, Because I'm not a very bad person but at that moment i would of break something and for sure it would of bean him. How can a man be so much disrespect, Lucky for him it was you Michael you and your big heart... Probably save him.