TotallyOz

911 on Better Being Hospital in Bangkok

A friend of a friend was paralyzed from shoulders down. He was making arrangements to do stem cell therapy there at Better Being Hospital. He believes this will help him to walk again.

I know nothing of this place and have never heard of it. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.betterbeingthailand.com/

whether you interest is to satisfy your own desire for knowledge or to perhaps enable you to advise you friend's friend, Google is perhaps your best source but bring along an analytical mind

in any field of medicine that is at the forefront of our existing knowledge there is always a conflict between conservative research based medical institutions that want to test and verify the efficacy of treatments before raising hopes for gullible sufferers and want to improve clinical approaches to diseases and medical conditions in the long term; and there are commercial business that style themselves as "research" establishments and "hospitals" that want to sell untested, unproven treatments as a panacea for many different medical conditions; and then there is the reality that is somewhere in-between!

keeping that in mind a quick Google search for any combination of keywords like stem cell, paralysis, quadriplegia, walk again, etc returns a huge set of results - usually 90% of the results are positive and are from businesses more at the commercial end of the spectrum selling "cures" or from the general media touting real research results unrealistically, 10% are from the medical establishment saying we still have a long way to go before this yields real treatments

you, and your friend's friend, need to draw your own conclusions from these Google search results - a few video clips on YouTube of "cures" from stem cell treatments at clinics in India does not really convince me, but then I am not a quadriplegic desperate to walk again!

as for Better Being Hospital, their website is chock-a-block with bleeding edge keywords (with lots of spelling mistakes) - do a few Google searches on any of the diagnostic and treatment options they offer and again you, and your friend's friend, need to draw your own conclusions from the search results

I am not trying to say that conservative western medicine has all the answers - I have recently been involved with some doctors using nutritional medicine in the treatment of some patients on the Autism spectrum that have achieved spectacular results that more conservative practitioners are just beginning to understand and support - but the other end of the debate has to be taken with a considerable grain of salt as well

bkkguy

I have read somewhere that this was tried and those receiving treatment regained slight feeling in their lower extremities. Perhaps long after their injury the treatment was undergone. If the injury was more recent it might be slightly more viable.

Some progress has been made in the number of stem cells not migrating away from the treated area.

Whether or not they will incorperate this into his treatment should be discussed with the treating

physician.

Glad to see your friend is taking a hands on approach to his situation. Best of luck to him.

Glad to see your friend is taking a hands on approach to his situation.

a "hands on" approach is always to be applauded but in the world of modern medicine it is usually a difficult path and it should come as no surprise that different people's approaches leads to different decisions

there was an interesting segment earlier this week on NPR's "Morning Edition" about DCIS - a non-invasive form of breast cancer that may be an indicator of increased risk for invasive breast cancer. DCIS is increasingly being found as breast cancer screening continues to increase and traditional (often knee-jerk) treatment options offered are often very invasive

one patient, a young mother with young children, searched for and found a practitioner that was willing to do a double mastectomy (even thought the second breast had no anomalies)  - at the extreme end of the invasive spectrum - because she wanted to completely eliminate any chance of future breast cancer. she did not want to be unavailable to her children on an ongoing basis for scans, radiation treatments and the associated sickness, etc

another patient, an older woman with grown up children, searched for and found a practitioner that offered treatment at the other end of the spectrum - hormone control therapy and on-going monitoring rather than lumpectomy and radiation therapy or (single) mastectomy. she was willing to submit to ongoing monitoring (and the stress and uncertainty along with that) before she would be willing to submit to more invasive up-front therapies like mastectomy

as I said in my post above I am not a quadriplegic so my opinion on the treatment options available comes from a different prospective, and while most of us will probably never be diagnosed with DCIS or become quadriplegics looking at stem cell therapy as an option, we will all be faced with serious (for us)  treatment decisions at some stage - more so as we get older.

the sad fact is the growth of miss-information on the Internet and our  increasingly limited access to multiple (and alternative) medical opinions under our "health plans" makes our own "hands on" decisions that much more difficult!

Prostate cancer is a classic case in point that should be high on most of our lists of things to consider - yet the recent media beat-up of the fish oil/prostate cancer issue and the growing controversy around PSA screening tests make this a minefield for men wanting to make an "informed" decision!

bkkguy