vinapu

Stealing ladyboys

Did you ever have this type of problem on Thailand's streets?

Sure , street theft may happen everywhere but I must say in my 8 trips I never had any situation , day or night when I felt cornered  and afraid I may be robbed. 

On another hand to minimize chance when travelling I never use wallet and when on the streets I tend to spread money I have on me between all pockets in my shirt and trousers, for this purpose always

use 2 pocket shirt and 4 pocked trousers.

Sometimes when watching bulging wallets in people's back pockets  I think that this is just an invitation for  thieves to  do their sinister deed.

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/103584/maltese-tourist-encounters-thieving-ladyboys-pattaya-beach/

Some good advice from Vinapu there.

A few thoughts on the subject:

The robbery referred to in that article describes a 73 year old Maltese man being harrassed by several ('4 or 5') ladyboys, one of whom stole his wallet. In the photo he looks his age and physically he's clearly no rambo, so a case of a group of cowards ganging up on an easy target. Let us not forget that ladyboys are men, and most of them are more than capable of packing a hefty punch! What they all need is a good spanking, I wonder just how hard the Pattaya police try to stop this kind of thing happening.

I believe the vast majority of ladyboys (even in Pattaya!) are not thieves. At least I'd like to think that. They earn their money by honest means; obviously I am including turning a few tricks in that category, they're there in Pattaya for a good reason after all!

It seems to me there are two kinds of instances in which ladyboys turn bad. Those such as mentioned already who blatantly attack their victim using either direct force or 'force of numbers', and those who are more subtle. By that I mean stealing from the john's hotel room when he is not looking, spiking his drinks so he falls asleep or unconscious, etc.

In the first group, the victim maybe completely innocent, targeted because he us seen as easy. On the other hand some victims start out by being 'chatted up', and perhaps lower their defences, as for example the classic baht bus ladyboy thieves we often hear about.

However I think that in the second category, where ladyboy(s) steal by more devious means, the victim is quite often at least somewhat to blame. I know it's easier said than done, and I am sure we would all be quite convinced we would never drink anything a ladyboy offered us, but in the real world it's not so simple. Obviously men who go with ladyboys are sexually attracted to them, so once in the hotel room a rush of blood to the cock seems to deprive the brain of much-needed sense. I guess it was ever thus and applies to any two people sexually attracted to one another.

But, in the case of sex-for-pay, no doubt some men forget in the heat of the moment that it's a mere financial transaction in which the sex-worker feels nothing emotionally. That must suit a criminally-minded ladyboy/gay guy/ straight guy/ woman who is then able to remain cold and calculating in his/her schemes.

Never had a problem in all the time I've been here.  I note that the incident reported in the article indicates it occurred "early Tuesday morning."  While I'm not sure if that means 1AM or 3AM or 5AM  (surely it wasn't during daylight hours), it's somewhat clear to me that a substantial majority of the victims of street crime are drunk themselves, hanging out in the wee hours in places they shouldn't be, etc.  One reason that most of us have not been victims is because we use some (maybe not a lot but at least a little) common sense as to where we hang out alone at night.

I've probably read over 100 newspaper articles about gangs/groups of ladyboy hustlers and thieves along Beach Road.  Simple solution is to be slightly aware and stay the hell away from places you know (or ought to know) aren't reasonably safe.

Reminds me somewhat of all the stories we hear about somebody losing 50,000 or 100,000 or 200,000 baht.  If you carry that kind of cash on you (or keep 500,000 baht in your hotel room or apartment or condo not in a safe), you almost deserve to have it stolen.

In fact it has happened to me twice on baht buses. LB on each side , one starts talking and the other tries to get in your pocket.

Now I only wear a wallet around my neck.  Pretty impossible for them!

Problem with neck wallet is that is usually still visible so may attract determined thieves.

If I need to carry more cash than for half day need I 'm using old fashioned money belt inside of my undergarments.

Baht bus attempt seem to be quite popular as not long ago somebody else was reporting the same thing.

I don't think ladyboys are worse than others but it helps to be vigilant.

Guest shamahan

It is interesting how mr Carabas was planning to stay in Pattaya till October 17 on 230 Euros. Unfortunately, Pattaya attracts more and more characters like that which makes it less attrative for normal tourists.

It is interesting how mr Carabas was planning to stay in Pattaya till October 17 on 230 Euros. Unfortunately, Pattaya attracts more and more characters like that which makes it less attrative for normal tourists.

If he had purchased all-inclusive vacation this plus 2000 baht he had would make it possible if one feeds on streets and forgets about bars , whoring etc. But I agree that this type of spenders will not do much to the local economy and are no use for girls and boys in the trade Pattaya is world center of.

Please, carry on starting away there as I'm just more surprised that this illiterate who claims English as his first (and only) language even picked up on it and I can assure you that i was merely commenting on the humorous possibilities of the thread title rather than it's grammatical correctness or otherwise :-) ! 

Please, carry on starting away there as I'm just more surprised that this illiterate who claims English as his first (and only) language even picked up on it and I can assure you that i was merely commenting on the humorous possibilities of the thread title rather than it's grammatical correctness or otherwise :-) ! 

actually I had a good laugh at your suggestion that somebody would be contemplating stealing ladyboy :rolleyes:

and certainly tittle could be red that way, now I see it too

Guest Devint6669

I stop counting how many time i was robe in the street of Thailand, Once i just came out of Western Union at big C Pattaya. And this kid came up me and told me -give me you money or i kill you

At first I say No! it was just a kid i was not very sacred but once he pull is gun i saw this kid was serrious

I just did what he ask me and he when away...

That day i lost a lot's of money, But walk away with my life... It was a relief!

And It still happen more then once to me, That why i always be careful now and keep very little money on me.

Because there is alway a ATM machine not very far from me.

And It still happen more then once to me, That why i always be careful now and keep very little money on me.

Because there is alway a ATM machine not very far from me.

I am often amazed what I read. I have never read in any newspaper or message board report " . . . and the tourist was robbed of 500 baht". No, it's always far in excess of that. Thousands of dollars very often. 

Good advice Devint: take out what you need little and often (at least I think this is what you meant). ATM's are every few yards in many parts of Pattaya. The only downside I can think of to that is the 150 baht (or has it gone up recently?) surcharge Thai banks impose users with foreign cards. In that case the odd hefty withdrawal during the daytime in a safe area (not the Western Union at Big C!!) and stashing the bulk in your room safe or hotel safe and just taking what you need out with you should work.

Everywhere in the world if you emerge from ATM or exchange counter you are marking yourself as man with money and prey / not always easy but still prey /. For this very reason in  less known places I'm always limiting my trips to bank machine and prefer to take more in one shot and then stash it in hotel's safe as Rogie suggested.

Never been robbed but have 2 cousins robbed while emerging from ATM , both in supposedly safe cities / Melbourne and Zurych /.

I was followed once in Yogyakarta / Java / after I left machine but guardian angel sent me taxi I could jump in.

On another hand never , ever felt uneasy in BKK , day on night so I'm surprised with Devint adventures but again, ChristianPFC was threatened with knife at Saranrom while ago so we can't go low on guard

So my advice would be handle you cash way you feel comfortable with. If you not planning to go right back to hotel use Rogie's approach, better pay 150 baht per withdrawal even couple times a day  than swallow lead.

If you need to exchange lot on money try to use few booths as this limits your time  there. By time you count 30000 baht half Silom will see you standing at the counter. But again , do what you are comfortable with. And never keep all the  money in one pocket, use shirt with at least 2 and trousers with 4 and spread money between them.

Following on from Vinapu and taking the discussion a stage farther, sometimes we may be tempted to think to ourselves "no problem for me as I've got insurance". Nice if you have and a bit silly if you haven't. But claiming on that insurance is best left for situations such as your luggage going missing at the airport or train station. Being pick-pocketed or mugged totally at random falls into a gray area - you may have given away some clues (big bulge in your pocket!?), or you may have let down your guard after a few too many, but often you'll have been relieved of your cash by an opportunist. 

The person who is seen by others to be 100% for sure carrying money as in the situations already discussed in this thread, is raising the probability of becoming a target. In the event of being 'held up' yes he hopefully will be fully insured, but there is always the possibility of things not going according to the script. He may decide to resist. Maybe that will do the trick and his assailant will flee. But that's taking a big risk. Fighting with a Thai, even if he (and that includes ladyboys) is unarmed, is most inadvisable. And if they have a knife or some other weapon? Then you may seriously regret it for the rest of your life. So sod the insurance! Just use your loaf (*)

(*) Cockney rhyming slang: loaf = loaf of bread = head.

sometimes we may be tempted to think to ourselves "no problem for me as I've got insurance". Nice if you have and a bit silly if you haven't.

Insurance will cover your loss eventually but when we are robbed first inconvenience is we are deprived of cash immediately and if cash is in the same place credit cards are we may lose them too in the same heist.

So two more lessons -do not exchange all your money at once / I suspect this is a case of those robbed of thousands  /

and do not keep all your valuables in the same place. 

Like Rogie said -use your head and eyes I add

Guest buckbee

I've never had any problems with them but I have heard some do operate in sophisticated gangs to get what they want whether it be money or a hot looking guy