Nikom

Trip to Sri Lanka

The country of Sri Lanka had always been on my travel list so after I returned to Bangkok from Myanmar and I went off to Sri Lanka. 

Historically Sri Lankan Buddhism and Thai Buddhism have been closely tied together.  Once when Buddhism was about dying out in Thailand Sri Lanka sent hundreds of Buddhist monks to revive the religion, and at another point in history after an Indian prince’s family had ruled Sri Lanka for 200 years Buddhism was dying out there.  The Sri Lankans freed themselves and sent a request to Thailand for help.  Hundreds of monks were promptly dispatched to Sri Lanka.  What is interesting is that there are Buddhist temples in Sri Lanka of Thai design, and Buddhist temples at Sukothi, the old capital of Thailand, of Sri Lankan design and I got to visit all of these in both countries.

I began and ended my Sri Lankan tour in Negombo, a beach resort town on the west side of the island. 

Contacted Steve [see Utopia] for an 8 day tour.  Steve planned the tour but was already booked so sent his friend Lal.  Great driver and guide!  Knew the best places to stop!  One national holiday – no beer on sale – Lal came back with several cold bottles of Lion Beer [large bottles and the best!]

We first went north to the mountain fortress of Sigiriya that was build by King Kassapa who ruled 477 to 495.  From there we took a route down through the mountains of central Sri Lanka stopping at many historical sites.  One of the most impressive was the Temple of the Golden Tooth in the mountain town of Kandy.  We attended a night ceremony at the Temple where a tooth of Buddha is enshrined. 

Sri Lanka is the world’s fourth largest of producer of tea.  From Kandy we wondered down the island through large tea plantations stopping at tea factories and British plantation houses that have been converted to restaurants.  Reaching the south coast we turned east and arrived at Galle, pronounced Gawl in English.  The massive stone fort at Galle was started in 1663 by the Dutch and today is a working city of 400 homes, mosques, churches, and businesses all protected as a World Heritage Site.  The 2004 tsunami killed many people in Galle however there were not any deaths and very little destruction inside the walls of the fort!

One note:  The rise of Asia?  Only a couple of years ago Sri Lanka ended a long rebel insurgency and is now rebuilding their country.  China, Singapore, India and Japan are investing heavily in Sri Lanka.  China is building new roads, super highways, paving many rural roads and is building an international medical school and hospital.  [The United States offered to sell them some American made weapons!]

If others have been to Sri Lanka would love to read your experiences.  Plan to return!

Nikom

nice report Nikom, , how you compare price levels to both Thailand and Burma?

Have you ever been to Laos? reason I ask is that in May I tossed a coin between Laos and Sri Lanka and Laos won, I went there , wonder if coin decived me or directed me to more attractive of two

Guest abang1961

I had a short working stint in Colombo, Sri Lanka in 2012.

The country is developing and as it was a British colony before, English is the 2nd widely used language there.

Just like any developing cities, Colombo is undergoing a major urban renewal phase but there are still pockets of interesting places to visit - the French Quarter and some stately buildings in the city.

Guest trailrider

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your visit.  I've long been considering a trip there and you have highlighted that for me.

have been tehre twice, but so long ago, that its by now hardly any worth. Did about same trip, but as I usually do, all by myself and on train/bus. Price level should be in between TH/MY and India-but as writer and I assume most of you are only interested in the bisnis+ class, this may well be quite different. At that time still struggles going on-did not leave such an impression that it appeared on my list to come back. Abysmal food, I remember.

I assume most of you are only interested in the bisnis+ class, this may well be quite different. 

wrong , at least in my case, only travel business class when upgraded / only twice in my life, on long trips thanks God/, sometimes 1  class by train if price still cheap.

Travelling lower classes  is better if one wants to meet local people and get a grip of how they live. As one flight attendant put it neatly- all classes will depart and arrive at the same time

Guest xiandarkthorne

Would it be possible to let us know about the cost of travel and hotels? I'm a fan of dark and hairy South Asian men and I've always wanted to visit Sri Lanka.

A general reply to several questions and comments.  If a trip to Sri Lanka is good for you depends on why you are going.  If for history, culture, people this YES go!  A great place.  I will return for this reason.  If you are going to check out the men then a good reason to go BUT a very different scene than Thailand. 

I stayed at Dickman's in Negombo.  Expensive but I would do it again.  Best everything!  The owner was in Europe with his boy friend and still everything worked great!  Life is short - taste it while you can!

- Have you ever been to Laos?  Yes, but Laos is just the same as Thailand.  Sri Lanka is very different.

- Abysmal food?  I love Thai food, and the food in Sri Lanka, however food from every culture is available all over the island.

- South Asian young men.  If you are mainly interested in the men then I would concentrate on Colombo and the beaches to the south.  Boys are everywhere.  Hot and ready.  BUT you do have to be somewhat careful [as every where].  Negombo has young men but this is a small village and everyone knows everyone else.  But you will be approached everywhere!  The word is “do you want a massage”!

From this first trip and my limited ‘research’ it seems that most boys from early on have sex with their mates but this often stops when they marry, but not always.  Several well known famous gay persons in Sri Lanka are in fact married with children!

About costs?  This changes all the time.  The best way to answer this is to search air fares, google hotels in Sri Lanka, buy a travel guide.  There are several travel companies listed on Utopia.  Check with them.  As I mentioned I used Steve and was impressed.  I told him how many days I wanted and where I wanted to go and he emailed me a suggested tour with price.  He can 'tailor' a tour for you.  As a couple of you mentioned, just taking the local bus and trains work well too.  The Lonely Planet guide book is good for this type of travel.

Thanks for that. I always kind of wondered what Dickman was really like. 

And telling a guide the sorts of things I want to do and having him provide suggestions is the kind of trip I like to take. I have enjoyed having private guides all over Asia and think it's the best way to travel. 

Guest rickinoc

re Sri Lanka .. I went there about a year back right after the insurgency ended..and I can tell you that the city of Colombo is a must see.

I stayed at the Galle Face Hotel and with the Sri Lankan rupee being weak, there are bargains to be had on several websites - I paid US $70 for a very beautiful ocean facing toom. The Galle Face is a VIctorian..clean and posh..and the buffet breakfast and afternoon tea was included..

Regarding gay fun..I found little ..however the masseurs in the health spa were amenable to stress relief..albeit a little coaxing was needed.  Of course the waiters were thin and lithe and with physiques thaat were breathtaking...sorry no pics taken.

Other places to visit in Sri Lanka - Kandy and Nuwara Eliya..both short day trips especially enjoyable if you are into tea estates

Hope this info helps

Rick 

Other places to visit in Sri Lanka - Kandy and Nuwara Eliya..both short day trips especially enjoyable if you are into tea estates

Nuwara Eliya tea is one of the best in the world, in the same league with Indian Darjeeling considered 'champagne of the teas"