ChristianPFC

Visa run advice?

Visa run advice?

Abstract: where in South-East Asia can I travel and stay cheaply, even during Chinese New Year, and get a triple entry tourist visa for Thailand?

My work visa and work permit end on 31.01.2014. (1) I have to leave Thailand, but want to come back after a few days to spend some more months in Thailand. (2)

It will be Chinese New Year, which will make travelling and finding accommodation difficult. In which countries in South-East Asia Chinese New Year is not celebrated to a large extent?

I want to go for a visa in a country where I can enter preferably without needing a visa and without entrance fee of any kind (as a German).

I would go to the Thai embassy of that country and apply for a triple entry tourist visa. (I plan to spend the entire April in Europe and want to come back after that.) In which countries/embassies is this process easy, where can I encounter problems?

Last but not least, I like to travel and stay on a low budget. I want to do some sightseeing in that country (several days, up to a week).

Any suggestions where to go or what else I can do?

I wouldn’t mind some gay activities, but for some days or up to a week I can do without.

Apart from Chinese New Year, the political situation in Thailand might change and make a visa run difficult or impossible.

(1) Is it possible to get an extension for my work visa, after the work contract ends?

(2) After these few more months, I want to stay in Thailand on a tourist or ED visa, find a new job in Thailand, or go back to Europe for work if I find a job.

(update: I discussed this with a friend and he said that there are an additional 7 days time to leave the country after the work visa expires. But if this was true, it would be stamped in the passport? It would make sense, according to my work contract I would have to work until 5 pm on Jan 31st (3) and then leave the country on that very day because my visa expires at midnight.)

(3) Jan 31st is a holiday, so I only have to work until Jan 30. But if it wasn’t a holiday, my last day of work would be the last day I am permitted to stay in Thailand.

Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Burma and Indonesia are cheap countries to travel but I have no idea about process of obtaining Thai visa from there. Vietnam visa may be expensive, other 4 is 20 -25 $, check if you need visa for Indonesia as German.

I'd pick up Cambodia  out of those 5 but all of them are worth trouble and expense

Hope others on the forum will be more helpful.

Guest abang1961

I won't recommend Singapore but there are places in Malaysia where they DON'T celebrate the Lunar New Year.

I am talking about the Muslim enclaves in Northern Malaysia.

If budget is of the utmost concern, try taking an overnight train to Hatyai or Butterworth (across Penang).  

At Hatyai, there are many bus companies that go to various parts of Malaysia at very competitive rates.

Places on the east coast, ie. Trengganu, Kelatan are interesting.

Kuala Lumpur on the other hand will be a "DEAD" city as most Chinese will be heading home during the period.

Another place, surprising enough, is MACAU.

Yes it seems to be more expensive but the historical sites are interesting.

Stay out of the gambling dens though..

If you really need a triple-entry tourist visa, I'm pretty sure the only place nearby that issues (or used to issue) them is the consulate in Bali. Do check on Thai Visa.

So that would be Indonesia. You'd need a visa, but you could get it on arrival. On the plus side, Bali is a great destination and well worth a visit. All things considered, a visit to a neighboring country would be cheaper, but the best you can hope for is a double-entry tourist visa.

Just be aware though Christian ( as I know these things matter to you) that there is an entry and exit visa tax ( or whatever they call it but bottom line you pay I think about 15 US dollars or equivialent to enter and maybe 5 or 10 dollars to leave - sorry can't remember the exact amounts.

However as I was saying to you when we met I found Bali to be very inexpensive so you'd quickly recoup that expense - plus the gay life / action there ( in Simenyak at least) was great I thought - although with your very specific preferences re boys etc perhaps you should check a few of the guys on GR first just to ensure that they your sort of guys as they ARE very different of course to Thai boys bodies and looks etc ( but all in a good way I thought) but of course you may / will have your own view on that point I'm sure.