Guest nothin2say

Where is everyone from

Where are you from  

61 members have voted

1. 1. wanted to know where everyone is from

My Polish work colleagues will not be happy that you have not included Central Europe!

Causes a lot of controversy in work when they get called or referrred to as Eastern Europeans!

(Of course they ARE eastern european - but thats a debate for another time and place)

nothing stops them here from lie and declare themselves as West Europeans for purpose of this pool. 

After all good people of Bavaria are calling their brothers from say, Saxony or Meklenburg just that - Ossies / Easterners /

I like the breakdown of locations rather than nationality. Although the choices might make it tricky for those from Iceland, Hawaii, Easter Island , etc.  Surprising enough I do know several farang who do live or did live in Hawaii.

Also not sure how to answer if one is an ex-pat from N. America or elsewhere but now living in Thailand?

My home country is the USA but I live full time in Thailand. I selected N. America. Somebody from Hawaii, I would suspect would select N. America. I think I would have lumped the Asia options together and have a separate category for UK/Ireland.

Guest abang1961

I am from Sunny Singapore - just two hours flight away.

Once again, big spenders - spend a little with me ..(I mean drop-by Singapore on your way to Thailand).

Guest naughtybutnice

I was born and bred in Bangkok of English parents, I have a home and business in Bangkok but now spend 3-4 days a week on business  in London and the rest in Thailand (Bangkok / Pattaya / Rayong)

Fortunately my air travel is a tax deductable business expense so I do not have to endure eleven hours in cattle class :bow:

I was born and bred in Bangkok of English parents, I have a home and business in Bangkok but now spend 3-4 days a week on business  in London and the rest in Thailand (Bangkok / Pattaya / Rayong)

Fortunately my air travel is a tax deductable business expense so I do not have to endure eleven hours in cattle class :bow:

If you are flying every week to London and back I need to say I should be jealous but I'm not, tax deduction and business class or not.

You brought another valid point. We know who we are for ourselves but sometimes it's hard to establish our identity for statistc purpose. Out of curiosity, do you consider yourself Thai or English ? / no need to answer if you think I'm nosy /.

Once on the plane  I  chat with the  guy, well in his 70ties who was born in Italy to Iranian parents and went to school there but spent all his adult life, good 50 years in Canada. To my surprise he told me that he considers himself Italian even if has no drop of Italian blood in him. We don't call our school years formative ones for nothing I guess. 

Guest naughtybutnice

Fortunately flying does not bother me, I class if as just an extension on my offices.

I have dual nationality Thai / British but having spent all of my life, with the exception of almost 7 years when I was schooled in England, in Thailand I consider myself Thai.

One advantage of dual nationality is that I can usually escape the long lines at immigration at both Bangkok and Heathrow.

Guest Prakanong

Hi.  I was born in Thailand but we moved to Australia when I was 12.  I had my secondary schooling and went to university in Perth.  We came back here when I was 24 and I've been living and working in Bangkok for the last ten years.

I was born in Australia but moved to Japan when I was 13. I've spent most of my life in Japan, having gone to high school and university in Tokyo and working there. We went there on account of my father's job. Now I move backwards and forwards between the two countries when I'm not travelling. I moved back to Australia in 2003 after I took early retirement. Now I live in Melbourne, Sydney and Mandurah which is south of Perth. I don't like to stay in one place too long - I've been travelling since I was 8.

Although I have an Australian passport I consider Japan to be my home. It's the place I get homesick for.

Guest ButterballBruce

Fortunately flying does not bother me, I class if as just an extension on my offices.

I have dual nationality Thai / British but having spent all of my life, with the exception of almost 7 years when I was schooled in England, in Thailand I consider myself Thai.

One advantage of dual nationality is that I can usually escape the long lines at immigration at both Bangkok and Heathrow.

Nice one, naughtybutnice.  I guess you must speak fluent Thai ??