Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ggobkk

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ggobkk

  1. ggobkk replied to a post in a topic in Gay Thailand
    Thanks, Reader, for your essay. It reminds us (well maybe just me) that life is often just adjusting, transitioning to change. I suspect the market place to move to where the rents make profit possible and are accessible to customers / patrons / Chinese tour groups. If not, then like the Gayety theater at NYC’s Time Square they will be gone. And...over time, this will happen to the apps that are the meet and greet hookup centers of the moment. Mourn the loss caused by transition but look for new opportunities.
  2. One can only imagine what the visa on arrival area is like during Golden Week...on 2nd thought, better to not think about it...
  3. Yes, youve defined my main reason for staying in Jomtien...my morning beach time...
  4. Going back to the OP about Starbucks not posting its menu in Thai and then as the posts grew in number, the question of what this might suggest to a Thai only speaker... I am of an age that I can recall dining in some of the grand restaurants in NYC (which were mainly French - Cote Basque, Pavilion, etc) and the menus were only in French...to ask for a translation was an invitation to be condescended to...
  5. My flights from USofA always arrive after ARL is sleeping. I've only used it when I've been flying within Thailand and can attest to its efficiency and economy, but at midnight aftr almost a day of travel, a taxi to my hotel is practical and pretty quick as the daytime traffic is also sleeping.
  6. According to Google, English is the third most spoken language after Mandarin and Spanish followed by Arabic and Hindi...
  7. Glad the tailor recommendation worked.
  8. Answer is "yes" but best through PMs.
  9. Sometimes meeting up can be an anticipated part of a trip. At the moment, I’m exchanging possible Thailand trip dates with three other Forum members to see if we can coordinate or overlap visits.
  10. Mr. Babe has Instagrammed his return to Bangkok
  11. Ah, Jack at Maxi’s. I remember him very well. He was brand new to Maxi’s when I first had him be my waiter in Mid-November. Pat and the other waiters were very protective of their newbie co-worker.
  12. Thanks, the club was preparing for its opening when I was in BT at the end of November. Good to know that is where the boys go after BBB.
  13. Thanks for your New Year's report...when you mention "boys music where all the BBB will move after midnight" ar you referring to th 2nd BBB show or something else?
  14. Welcome Reporter Paborn Sadly, I remember a Tarntawan club sandwich...
  15. Babe posted a photo on Instagram with a caption saying" first day in Japan" with the location of Ibaraki, Japan,; and another located at Yubatake Kusatso Onsen Looks like high season has put some of the boys on the road.
  16. I agree...but must admit, I rarely can remember numbers. If an Off is memorable I use the name he gives
  17. ggobkk replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    +2
  18. Agree with vinapu that you are "an old reporting hand" with a delightful talent for description.
  19. Incredibly good report. I had the same experience at Fresh Boys upstairs back in August of ordering a drink, realizing I was the only customer, and seeing a potential customer come in and immediately leave. Glad you found a new suitcase - I’ve been concerned about more Surawong Frogger with handleless luggage.
  20. It's time... When I wake up it's mid-morning (10am-ish) and it's my last day. I make some tea and start sorting through my receipts, then checking email. Van wakes shortly afterwards and from the comfort of the bed watches me pack. This is a fairly easy pack as my only purchases were some shirts in Pattaya and some more in Bangkok. I leave room for some workout shirts from a vendor on Silom near Nakarat. I've been bargaining for two nights now as I walk by. The price last night was acceptable but I didn't wanl to carry anything. I talk with Van about today. He is off - actually, I'm offing him. He tells me how much to give him, which is less than if I went into the club and paid the fee. I ask if there's anything he'd like to do and get the programmed "it's up to you". I suggest we go out in a couple of hours and ask him to trust me. I shave and get into the shower, he joins me. It's a gentle way to begin to say goodbye. Around two we head out and walk to Sathorn...Van is surprised as we haven't walked this way before. He asks if we are going to the BTS and I answer "yes, but, no". I'm using he station walkways to cross over the traffic. Once across, we are at the MahaNakhon plaza...the King Power Tower plaza. Last night, Reader and I speculated on what it would be like to bring some of the guys we like up to the rooftop...speculation inspired by DivineMadman's doing just that. The answer to the speculation - surprise, joy, excitement, amazement...we did go out on the glass floor once the blue booties had been attached to out feet. It was no where near as crowded as the night before. Yes, it was hot under the mid day sun but it had it's own charms. We stayed somewhat more than an hour and then did the trip through the multi-level duty free shopping. We walked back via Silom to the hotel where we hung out. Around 6:30 we headed over to Twilight so that Van could pay his off fee. This gave me an opportunity to say good bye to Pau and the other waiters at Maxi's. The Asian gentleman with a fondness for the massage staff across from Maxi's was already in place , tonight with 4 of the guys. Good for him, good for them, and great business for Maxi's. Everyone wins! Van and I have a drink (he has lemon tea) at Maxi's. I leave goodly tips for the waiters and the bartender, give a 100 baht to the Hot Male grabbers - and we head out. I pick up the workout shirts from the street vendor, I mentioned. Back at the hotel, I finish packing, giving all the remaining toiletries to Van, I give him some baht for his time. The baht are in an envelope. He doesn't open it, just puts it in his wallet and that goes into his backpack. It's now about midnight and time to go to the airport. When I booked my ticket, I was most interested in when I'd arrive so I could get to Pattaya in time for some interpersonal interaction (!) and as to a return, I need to be back on Saturday, December 1st. My return isn't through Tokyo - my usual routing, but via Hong Kong and Hong Kong Airlines from BKK to HK. It's always a mess at the Hong Kong Kong Airlines checkin...so in addition to the flight being earlier than ANA, I do need extra time...sort of a long explanation for why I'm heading out from the city as the clock strikes 12. Saying goodbye..we've done this a dozen times, but, this time is a bit more difficult... Van waves goodbye as the taxi pulls out and passes him. I make the airport, long wait to check in...Hong Kong Airlines is not a Star Alliance partner so no priority line. Bags checked through to San Francisco. Security and Immigrations go quickly, I board the plane, and fall asleep before boarding is complete, and wake up when the plane touches down in Hong Kong. Good thing I slept then as my United flight to California was 100% full and I slept very little. While in Hong Kong, I "Lined" to Max, Sophy, and Nuguyen and chatted with each. Van and I use We Chat and he had messaged me while was asleep on the plane. Clearly, I'm struggling with saying goodbye to so many good guys. (that may also be why this report has taken so long to publish). Home...and six weeks later I'm still thinking about the trip, the highs, the lows, the guys stay in touch, Max changing his screen name every week (Max, Maximum, Maxx...!), Van still working to pay off his debts, etc. etc. Me...I'm reading Spoon's report which is incredibly good and reminding me that I should be beginning to plan another visit to the Land of Smiles Thanks for reading, commenting, pm-ing, and all that sort of thing.
  21. Wednesday - Hanging Out When Van returned, I woke up and we sat and talked and looked out of the windows at the light in the Bangkok night. He talked more about his family and how he had been cheated in his attempt to set up a business back in Vietnam. I didn't consider this, as some might, as a way to ask me for money to help get him out of his trouble. We had talked about compensation for his time this visit in advance of out meeting up a week ago. I believe he needed to talk and my ears were in working order. When we finally went to bed, he held me close for a long time. We woke around noon - unheard of time for me. After our shower, I was scrapping the plantar calluses that seem to haunt me especially when I am doing a lot of walking which is the case this past week, five to six miles a day. Van showed me that he had a callus on one of his feet. As nothing was planned for the day, I suggested lunch and a trip to MBK. Lunch was at the Vietnamese restaurant in the Silom Complex. At MBK, I introduced Van to the Red Nails shop where each visit I get a pedicure that scrape my feet. Van said he wait, I said he should have one. After some discussion, he agreed. When the process began he had a "deer in the headlights look". By the end - he was happy with the experience. From there we went bowling upstairs - neither of us is any good at this sport but are good at making fun of our lack of skill. On our way out, we headed for the BTS through Tokyu, the Japanese department store. Several times this trip, I'd offered to buy Van some clothes, but he either declined or didn't see anything he wanted. In the Tokyu men's department he asked me to look at a gray track suit and could he try it on which he did. Looks great on him. Price was reasonable (a little less than 2000 baht). From there we went to Siam Paragon. I checked out Uniqlo for some socks. From there we went to the Paragon men's store area when I had the opportunity to supply him with his work clothing...i.e. white briefs for his Freshboys on stage time. We went back to Bandara, he tried on his new clothes and gave me a version of his work in stage attire. We decided to go to the hot tub and relax as the sun was setting. The pool view isn't much- just the next building, but it was refreshing. The we hung out in the room as he played video games and I caught up on my accounts, email, and the news. We then went out to dinner (MK) and on to Moonlight. Every visit, I can see small improvements that enhance this top of the line venue. I let the mamasan know that we are not looking for anything but the show. This is a night where Van isn't going to recommend anyone - though he introduces me to two boys from the rotation he's work with in other clubs. The show has been discussed in the Forum and I won't add anything other than to note Babe looked fantastic tonight. After the show finished we walked back to Bandara and entertained ourselves. Thursday - playing the tourist Back at home, folks know that I visit Thailand on a regular basis. I talk up Thailand and encourage people to visit. My enthusiasm came back at me as a husband and wife I volunteer with are in Thailand. Before I left California, I'd sat down with them as made suggestions on the plans they'd made for their trip to Cambodia and Thailand. I'd promised to meet them today at the Everest Tailor and then go on to the Grand Palace where I'd hand them off to a guide who used to work in the palace. This guide is one tough cookie - she corrects the Chinese tourists using her voice that is a raspy foghorn. She's direct about where to stand for the best photo, she guards shoes while in temple spaces, and knows who from the ground crew will see entrance tickets so there's no waiting in line. The tailor goes well, my shirts are ready, and the shop will send them to the hotel. The couple meets me there, the wife wants the husband to get a suit or jacket and slcacks, he doesn't want anything. They settle on ordering some shirts. They tell me about their trip and how much they liked Chiang Mai. We have lunch at Mango Tree and head to the Palace. The guide is waiting, I say good bye, and they enter...I'll see them this weekend and learn how it went. I head back to Silom and walk to the Pilot Pen store. I like one of Pilot's brand of pens which I can't get at home. Alas, the building, which is across SIlom from the hospital, is being renovated and I don't see that the store is closed until I go into the building. In August, the store was functioning during the renovation. One of the women who worked in the shop in working upstairs at the Pilot office was getting out of the elevator and, to my surprise, recognized me, and apologized that the shop was closed but would be open for my next visit. Lesson: shoppers are recognized and frequency of shopping is noted. I walked back to Bandara and change and walk to the King Power Tower to meet Reader and Divine Madman for our sunset visit. I've written this up in my August report and others have also reported on the view, the building, the elevator, and the three level duty free shop so I'll only note than when we left we were ushered out via the restaurant on the courtyard as the main entrance was closed in anticipation of one of the Royal Family (one of the Princesses) arriving. Divine Madman, Reader, and I walked to Surawong considering places to have dinner. We eventually got to Maxi's and settled in and talked part of the night away. I said my goodbyes to these two very great guys. We toasted PaulSF who initially brought us together. Van saw us and waved from the stage. At some point out group broke up and I went back to the hotel and had a moonlight swim in the pool. I then went to bed until Van came in and work me up with an offer that I didn't refuse.
  22. I couldn’t make it work around other commitments.
  23. Tourist Tuesday Van and I both wake up later than usual (for me). We shower together and order room service. I am going with my friend from yesterday to do some more touring. Van will hang out in the room and then he is planning to head out and get an extra long work out and will see me at Maxi's. He has the day off tomorrow and we plan to hang out...which translates into enjoying doing nothing. My friend arrives and we go to Wat Pho. There is a light rain but it's the refreshing for walking kind of rain. We do the tourist thing of trying to photograph the reclining Buddha. We then headed to Museum Siam (200 baht entrance). It's arranged to set Thai scenes on a cultural level - April's Songkran has its own moment! We then take a break for a coffee and snack on the flower market. From there we head to Lumpini, the weather is cool. The Thai Armed Forces are having a recruitment day/event/festival. One can target shoot with the Thai rangers, be chatted up by the Marines, the women's divisions are there encouraging signups. The officers' wives are selling things they have made to support military charities. I am fascinated by the internal competition among the services. After about an hour of wandering around, we leave the park and split up. I head back to the hotel. Van arrives within a few minutes from his workout. He makes tea for us - this is his way of wanting to take care of me...there is a forum topic on this natural tendency among the guys. It's taken some time for me to get used to it. Van tells me he wants to be with me the night I leave for the whole night, so we agree that he'll be off tomorrow (his day off) and I'll off him on Friday. Thursday, he'll work. A Forum member PM'd me as to whether or not Van and I talk about his work, his offs, his "patrons". Answer is "not this trip". When I first knew him, I'd ask but he is very discreet. This isn't a barrier to the guys talking amongst themselves. He tells me about some of the other guys, warning me about guys who are reluctant to perform for clients, who sow off their gifts (suspect he's is one of these). We take a bed bread and then a shower We walk together to Twilight. He has a drink with me at Maxi's and he and Pau share some information. Van goes to work, Reader arrives with a young friend (I think I met him on an earlier visit), Reader guides me to understanding this is not the case and I'm thinking of someone else. His friend doesn't catch on to my mistake. DivineMadman arrives and we firm up the plans to meet up at the KingPower tower on Thursday around sunset. Not sure how it happened, but at some point this trip a lower front tooth has loosened. On the walk to Twilight from the hotel, I've been passing a multiplicity of clinics for implants and cosmetic dentistry. I mention this duirng our conversation, DivineMadman is a wealth of knowledge as he has a local dentist and if familiar with what's involved with implants. If that's what I need, the cost in Thailand would be much less than at home...with the caveat that I'd need to be in Thailand for six weeks of follow up care. So it's a wash financially. I've put this into my report - which I doubt anyone is interested in as one of the reasons that this report is so slow in being finished, like having a tooth pulled, is that's exactly what's been going on. I had a tooth extracted two days ago, now waiting on a temporary, then more work. Back to Tuesday night at Maxi's...I mentioned earlier, that I'd observed a Japanese gentleman have a massage at Bangkok Massage, then I observed him with the boy at Maxi's. Tonight, he is there with two of the Bangkok Massage boys treating them to food and drink, he has also begun entertaining the youngest o Maxi's waiters. Out three some breaks up in time for me to head over to Jupiter. I arrived only a few minutes before show time and am seated near the wall to the right of the stage. Show is pretty much the same as in August. Given the number of women in the audience (20%) and how the performers tend to keep their privates covered, it sort of a big tease show...that's fine as it's not trying to be anything else. It's actually a candy store as the level of attractive on stage is high. I'm asked if I want to off anyone, I'm tempted, but just stay to the end of the show, then back to Bandara.
  24. ggobkk replied to a post in a topic in Gay Thailand
    Maybe...maybe more LGBTQ tourist outreach...maybe an election...
  25. ggobkk replied to a post in a topic in Gay Thailand
    Add my two cents (baht) to this topic...before Rentboy was closed down, I had a couple of good encounters and one horrible one - he'd taken on several tattoos, was being evicted by his hotel (his choice for out meeting place), and he had performance issues. The hotel security arriving to evict saved me, oh more accurately, my $$. In London I use Sleepyboy and have been happy with the offs. On last two Thailand trips, Planet Romeo has worked well. In one case we met at a coffee shop, the other in my room.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.