Everything posted by Keithambrose
-
Do you "correct" locals' pronunciations of their own cities?
I know, I have a relative who lived there! Strangely, arguing against myself, as a result, I have always pronounced it as Woodge.
-
Renting an apartment in Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria
I like the sanity equipment, reminds me of the Marx brothers film, "That's what they call the sanity clause, You can't fool me, there ain't no Santa Clause.... "
-
Do you "correct" locals' pronunciations of their own cities?
Indeed, and some Polish names are no easy matter! Wroclaw. Rzeszow, etc. Also I've always found Brits who call Budapest, BudaPEST, somewhat pretentious, they don't say Roma, or Milano.
-
Preparations Required
Confused, by raw or boiled drinking?
- Trip report April / September 2025 – Da Nang & beyond – Research if an elderly gay retiree can live comfortably in Da Nang, Vietnam
-
Changes coming to visa-free entry
Certainly not the lawyers!
-
Changes coming to visa-free entry
You will also have noted, I imagine, the fact that the Polish population in the UK declined by a quarter after Brexit.
-
Changes coming to visa-free entry
Well, good old Wikipedia. Perhaps you can help my sister in law find a Polish builder? The three Polish firms she has used over the past 15 years, who provided excellent sevice, have gone back to Poland. She has had to sack the English builders she employed. 2 other friends of mine, one of whom had previously used a Polish builder, have sacked their English builders, bad workmanship, bad timekeeping etc. Indian builders are currently getting a better reputation. I pointed out that this was a generalisation. Luckily, my Polish cleaning lady is staying here!
-
Changes coming to visa-free entry
We used to have many good Polish builders in the UK, but alas, post Brexit, they have mostly disappeared. Of course, they were not illegal, but a good example of workers doing a good job, for a reasonable price, in which our local builders were not interested. It's a generalisation, I know, with exceptions, but English builders have a reputation for being second rate, workshy, and expensive!
-
More bad news for tourism
Only to be entered when sober...
-
Americans and Israel
A very sensible comment. I have many Jewish friends, including two Rabbis, who are committed to the State of Isreal, but bitterly opposed to Neranyahu. They still support the two state solution.
- Pope Francis Dies
-
Trump tariffs drop to 10% universal rate for countries except China for 90 days
You also seem to have overlooked the UK campaign in Burma, after the fall of Singapore. The British Army, under Gerneral Slim, prevented the Japanese from invading India, and eventually drove them back. Battles of Imphal, and Kohima, for example.
-
Have any of you used wedding planners?
Keep on going!
-
More bad news for tourism
It's also one of the smallest cathedrals in UK...
-
More bad news for tourism
What about Welsh or Scottish?
-
Do you "correct" locals' pronunciations of their own cities?
Making the effort is indeed the way forward! Its not difficult. I dealt with a senior Japanese lawyer, called Hiratsuka. Pronounced Hiratska. Takes 20 seconds to learn, but I saw saw many of my English colleagues make no effort, and pronounce his name as Hirat suka. Personally, I think it rude to make no effort.
-
Do you "correct" locals' pronunciations of their own cities?
Well, you spoke heavily accented German, so not surprising!
-
April 2025 Bangkok Trip Report
OK, thanks!
-
April 2025 Bangkok Trip Report
I'll have to look out for him end June! Is he vers?
-
More bad news for tourism
So?
-
Do you "correct" locals' pronunciations of their own cities?
I have always tried to get personal names right, as well as place names. My business, international maritime law, involved many nationalities. When I was a trainee we lost a client, as my boss consistently got his name wrong, and the name of his company! I still remember, Pollitti not Polloto, Efemar not Ermefer! Also, in Germany I was taken to a meeting by my client, a senior German lawyer. She said that the meeting would be in German, but that was OK, as I spoke German. I had to point out that I didn't speak German, I just made sure I pronounced the names, etc, correctly! The meeting went ahead, and I understood hardly anything! However, I kept the client!
-
Do you "correct" locals' pronunciations of their own cities?
Yes, that's an easy one to be caught out by. I had to be careful when I was in Rome.
-
A week of Touring and Whoring
Nice report! Vinapu will be pleased Atlas was full, and good show!
-
More bad news for tourism
Thailand reports anthrax fatality after beef consumption; 377 exposed, livestock quarantined