September 14, 20188 yr So some of our neighbors on the plane in economy may be actually sitting on pile of cash while others at front may be people of modest meant who decided to treat themselves once of every 12 years. Or, as in my case when working, one gets promoted to a point where I had to assume budget responsibility for my cast center. With bonuses pinned to financial performance - well, coach here I come.
September 14, 20188 yr at the range of 1500 to 2500 Bt. there are many good options in Pattaya . you are talking about room prices or Long Time boy tips?
September 14, 20188 yr you are talking about room prices or Long Time boy tips? Hotels 1500 to 2500 Boys 1000 to 2000.
September 14, 20188 yr Hotels 1500 to 2500 Boys 1000 to 2000. exactly opposite to me , for some bed is important for a good sleep , for others a pillow takes precedence and it's best if boy is that pillow.
September 14, 20188 yr Sorry I don’t get it. I worked 50 years of my life. I saved and invested. Now I’m retired . I own my house, my car and have no credit card bills. I rent a condo here for 30,000 a month. I fly Business or PE or use flyer miles. I rarely ever took a vacation over 2 weeks at a time. Now I’m enjoying my life. I have a will and what’s left will go to my sisters. But I would rather spend it myself as I earned it. And I’m not alone. There are a lot of retirees that have more money than I will ever see. You can see them spending quite comfortably in Bangkok. I’m just tired of being put down because I worked very hard and now want to enjoy myself. If you don’t have the money and can’t afford it, nothing wrong with that. I don’t live in a million dollar house, but don’t put people down for it.
September 14, 20188 yr I’m just tired of being put down because I worked very hard and now want to enjoy myself. If you don’t have the money and can’t afford it, nothing wrong with that. I don’t live in a million dollar house, but don’t put people down for it. No one is putting anyone down in this thread. As far as I can see, most are just commenting on what is optimum for their own financial circumstances. No one is telling anyone else what to spend. In my case, if I were prepared to work 50 years, I might just be flying at the front of the plane after that. As I'm more interested in working under 30 years, the general idea would be to spend no more than about 3% of the accumulated assets per year over a long retirement. And if I manage to grow the kitty, then more will be spent on traveling well.
September 14, 20188 yr I did meet up with a few guys I new for hookups and the hotel walked them to my room. To each his own, but for me that is degrading for both the boy and you as a paying customer.... Sounds more like a conjugal prison visit!
September 15, 20188 yr Author To each his own, but for me that is degrading for both the boy and you as a paying customer.... Sounds more like a conjugal prison visit! LOL Not degrading for either. The hotel is large and not easy to find rooms and they have golf carts to take you to the room and to pick you up when you need. Neither I, nor any boy I met, felt degraded. In fact, they loved the ride on the golf cart and I did ask them if they had any issues with the hotel and I was told they had none. Not sure where you would get your thoughts from unless they started in the gutter. And, that is OK. However, most good hotels I have visited have less of an issue with "guests" in the room. Otherwise, I would not stay there for a repeat visit.
September 15, 20188 yr Z909 , well put , not all of us can or will pay to stay in upmarket hotels. I guess a lot of guys on here retired with big retirement funds but good luck to them in enjoying it.
September 15, 20188 yr I'm jealous Paul, another 7-8 years or so for me, Hope to go from about 55; although I can't see myself retiring to Pattaya anymore.
September 15, 20188 yr I'm jealous Paul, another 7-8 years or so for me, Hope to go from about 55; although I can't see myself retiring to Pattaya anymore. Same for me.Pattaya is not appealing to me anymore as retirement option,I love Pattaya but after a week or two I began to be bored and missing my country,So Pattaya is fun for short time vacation but not for staying there once I retired.
September 15, 20188 yr Spot on Boy69, same for me nowadays, never use to be like that, I never wanted to leave !!! But nowadays and I don't know if it's because I got older but I actually looked forward to leaving on my last visit a few weeks ago. I love Pattaya but I don't think it's a retirement option anymore, the spark has disappeared. I'm going to the Phillipines next year to look at it from a retirement option.
September 15, 20188 yr Well I was about to start a new topic on "Retirement Destinations", but the site says "You Cannot Start a New Topic". As my home country has cold winters, Thailand seems like an attractive option for at least the winter months. Pattaya certainly has a diverse range of facilities & nightlife options. There might be more options for traveling & walking around further up the country, but within the city itself, Pattaya must be competitive.
September 15, 20188 yr z909, agree that a new topic on “Retirement Destinations” will be very welcome and useful! Anyone knows whether any part of Thailand has affordable housing and cost of living, is safe, and has beautiful sea views? Or other countries near Thailand with such features? Looking to plan for future retirement too.
September 15, 20188 yr However, most good hotels I have visited have less of an issue with "guests" in the room. Otherwise, I would not stay there for a repeat visit. they shouldn't , after all there you pay them enough. I can understand why budget places may ask for joiner fee / more water used , extra towel etc./ but they usually don't as they want repeat business as well I will and am enjoying my retirement. I wish I could say the same , still a bit to go, sigh
September 15, 20188 yr I also think a thread on retirement options would be good . BUT thoughts should only be from members who have retired or have spent a lot of time researching the possibility in the future. Positive and Negative things about retirement in Thailand or another country . Then those members can be asked questions and down the road the Thread might need to be moved to the Timeless Forum.
September 15, 20188 yr they shouldn't , after all there you pay them enough. I can understand why budget places may ask for joiner fee / more water used , extra towel etc./ but they usually don't as they want repeat business as well I wish I could say the same , still a bit to go, sigh Agreed, when working and staying at high-end places I could walk anyone past reception. At those rates, they dare not offend guests. They turn a blind eye - generally. You might still find the over-zealous ass who interferes beyond his pay grade.
September 15, 20188 yr Probaly left for a new topic, but Sea views or beaches don't interest me . I live near beaches and have been there twice in 10 years.
September 16, 20188 yr I've always wondered what the Intercontinental was like so found the review interesting. I had a phase of staying next door at the Royal Wing Suites (in the Royal Cliff hotel) in the 2000s. The service was second to none. I went back 2 years ago and found standards had slipped slightly, but my main bugbear was the increased incovenience. A hotel limo to get into central Pattaya often took 15 or 20 minutes to arrive; and they'd blocked off access via a side entrance to the shops and other facilities of Pratumnak. The only access was via the beach, which was unlit and quite precarious to try at night, or a very long walk via the main Royal Cliff entrance.
September 17, 20188 yr LOL Not degrading for either. The hotel is large and not easy to find rooms and they have golf carts to take you to the room and to pick you up when you need. Neither I, nor any boy I met, felt degraded. In fact, they loved the ride on the golf cart Thanks for the clarification Michael... your original description read to me like the Hotel Security followed you and your guests (no doubt carrying walkie talkies, wearing ill fitting suits and with torches!) to your hotel room This sounds like a far more civilized arrangement! Actually myself and BF spotted a farang and a gaggle of boys in an open top Golf type cart whilst we were driving through Royal Cliff/Pranumnak area 10 days ago.... yourself and your entourage perchance?
September 17, 20188 yr Until the turn of the century, the Siam Intercontinental was a great hotel in central Bangkok and my resting place of choice in the city. At that time the lease, from the Crown, expired and, with its 25 acres of gardens extending from Rama 1 almost to the San Saep, it was unlikely that a hotel could afford the (new) ground rent. The hotel was pulled down in July 2002 and replaced with that grotesque temple to Mammon, Siam Paragon.
September 17, 20188 yr . The hotel was pulled down in July 2002 and replaced with that grotesque temple to Mammon, Siam Paragon. not that Siam Intercontinental was exactly utilitarian backpackers hostel for budget conscious
September 17, 20188 yr But it was such a wonderful sight from the platform of the metro especially the large swooping roof!
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.