The Beer Bar
Open to general topics not covered elsewhere including Current Events, Politics, Religion, Movies and other topics. Discuss the topic, not the policy or personality. Have fun and enjoy!
16,177 topics in this forum
-
I was no fan of Reagan, but Nancy is right on. Good for her!!! < "I’m very grateful that President Obama has lifted the restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research," she wrote in a statement released shortly after Obama signed an executive order lifting the Bush-era restrictions. "These new rules will now make it possible for scientists to move forward. I urge researchers to make use of the opportunities that are available to them, and to do all they can to fulfill the promise that stem cell research offers." Nancy Reagan has been an outspoken advocate of stem-cell research – and scientists hope that the research could someday lead …
-
- 4 replies
- 939 views
-
-
Paul Krugman, the Nobel Economist, along with Nouriel Roubini, has been largely right since the beginning of this meltdown. Here's what he had to say yesterday: Behind the Curve By PAUL KRUGMAN Published: March 8, 2009 President Obama’s plan to stimulate the economy was “massive,†“giant,†“enormous.†So the American people were told, especially by TV news, during the run-up to the stimulus vote. Watching the news, you might have thought that the only question was whether the plan was too big, too ambitious. Yet many economists, myself included, actually argued that the plan was too small and too cautious. The latest data confirm those worries — and sug…
-
- 1 reply
- 807 views
-
-
BROOKS: The problem with them and the problem with Limbaugh in terms of intellectual philosophy is they are stuck with Reagan. They are stuck with the idea that government is always the problem. A lot of Republicans up in Capitol Hill right now are calling for a spending freeze in a middle of a recession/depression. That is insane. But they are thinking the way they thought in 1982, if we can only think that way again, that is just insane.
-
- 1 reply
- 764 views
-
-
Can you believe this??? Seen today on the yahoo website. "Irish carrier Ryanair, Europe's largest budget airline, might start charging passengers for using the toilet while flying, chief executive Michael O'Leary said on Friday. 'One thing we have looked at in the past and are looking at again is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future,' he told BBC television. He said this would not inconvenience passengers travelling without cash. 'I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound.' O'Leary has…
-
I can't believe there is no thread here about the GOP's undisputed leader, the fat, bloated, bloviating bastard named Rush. Can you fucking believe how many castrated GOP wussy CongressCritters line up to kiss Rush's fat ass? You gotta love people like James Carville and Paul Begala who who positively salivate at the thought of hanging Rush around the GOP's neck: From Daily KOS: < Democratic strategist Paul Begala, one of White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel’s inner circle, got off a shot of his own, telling The WaPo’s Perry Bacon Jr. that "Rush is the bloated face and drug-addled voice of the Republican Party," and that "along with lots of others, I intend…
-
- 18 replies
- 2.4k views
-
-
I've been to this event many times and ALWAYS had a blast. Anyone showing up this year? The Saint At Large presents RITES XXX: The Black Party Music by: Boris Eddie Elias Junior Vasquez Strange Live Acts. Dress: Heavy. Roseland Ballroom, New York City 10:00pm, Saturday, March 21, 2009 until Sunday Afternoon http://www.saintatlarge.com/
-
- 11 replies
- 2.3k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Ok so I have to admit I am a sucker for a good parade. So as a result I am considering braving the freezing NYC winter and attend the parade. I haven't found too much info online on how to attend, like if one needs some kind of ticket or if there are bleachers on some of the route etc. Has anyone attended the parade before? I've got my hotel booked in SOHO which I guess is ok and it is with a major chain and has great reviews on Trip Advisor, so hopefully no surprises will be awaiting me upon my arrival. Hugs, Greg
-
Hey Guys, I've been browsing this site for a few days and finally decided to sign up. Just wanted to say a quick hello! I'm Cody from Arizona (born/raised in Nebraska though), and a performer at Dick's Cabaret. Hope everyone is having a great week!
-
And, it's well-deserved, IMO. I am and have been an Obama fan, but Geithner just continues to disappoint. First, he was a huge part of the problem in the Bush bailout, and now he can't find anyone to work for him. It is unforgivable.
-
- 1 reply
- 831 views
-
-
The following is an excerpt from a weekly newsletter I receive: _____ In Limbo Here’s the current status on some other Oscar contenders of note which were scheduled at one time for Pattaya, then withdrawn. I think it would be nice if they all showed up here eventually, but it looks as though we’ll have to fight to get them. And given the dreadful reception of Revolutionary Road here, it doesn’t seem to make much sense from the point of view of the movie chains. Except possibly for Slumdog Millionaire. * Milk: US, Biography, Drama – 128 mins – The assassination of Harvey Milk, with Sean Penn, who won the acting Oscar. Nominated for Oscar best pictu…
-
Sheriff Nosey Parker(aka Tom Dart),smelling a chance to get his name in the papers,has decided to "Sue"(notice he is not prosocuting them)Craigslist.org for promoting prostitution. Looking to pull up sympathy Nosey Parker even throws the youth of Amerika on the fire. "The money they are donating to charity I find to be somewhat comical and very sad because here they are getting money quite often from people who are either juvenile pimps or into human trafficking and the money is subsequently being given to people to prevent juvenile pimping and human trafficking," Dart says." Think of The Children! I do hope the residents of Chicago tell Sheriff Nosey Parker to mind h…
-
- 2 replies
- 1.1k views
-
-
'Stewardesses' is the longest word typed with only the left hand. And 'lollipop' is the longest word typed with your right hand. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple. ' Dreamt' is the only English word that ends in the letters 'mt'. Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing. The sentence: 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' uses every letter of the alphabet. The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes). There are only four words in the English language…
-
These S.T.A.G.E. benefit shows are really fabulous showcases for local talent. This years show features the music of the Gershwin Brothers and has a great line up of performers. Here is a link for discount tix. http://www.goldstar.com/events/beverly-hil...ge-and-ira.html If you are going to be in LA that weekend do yourself a big favor and go to this wonderful show!
-
- 1 reply
- 901 views
-
-
Just what happens to someone who has different political views than the status quo on this website? Call me insane, but am I the only one who particularly cares for RL and Co? Does my being gay mean I MUST side with the social liberals and left in order to be liked/normal? No, I don't agree with EVERYTHING the right has to say, but I daresay most of it. Mostly, I enjoy my cigar smoking, gas guzzling SUV while expanding my collection of firearms in the privacy of my own home. GUNS? OMG! yes, I said guns. They are tools, items which are only as dangerous as the idiot behind them. Same with cars, trains, buses, and anything else man made really. But, I am diverting …
-
Well this should be interesting. He sounds guilty as sin. Posted on Jason Sechrest on 2/24. http://www.jasoncurious.com/desk/index.html The Trial of Harlow Cuadra Begins Opening statements were made this morning in the trial of porn star and escort Harlow Cuadra, 24, accused of murdering 44 year old Cobra Video owner Bryan Kocis. The prosecution's opening statement from Assistant District Attorney Michael Melnick lasted for one hour and twenty-four minutes this morning, painting Cuadra as the cold-blooded killer of Koics, seeking to eliminate the gay porn producer as a competitor. Cuadra's mother, seated in the front row of the courtroom, cried as the prosecution…
-
- 14 replies
- 2.4k views
-
-
Well, maybe not! The Winston Man, Alan Landers, died at age 68 of cancer of the larynx. He previously had cancer of the lungs and heart disease. Since the Marlboro man has died that now leaves the Lucky Strike Girl, Janet Sackman, who also had a cancerous lung and had her larynx removed. Miss Sackman has been a "vocal" supporter of anti-smoking efforts.
-
Aprops of nothing-just thought I would expand on a comment I made in TO's "gayest painting ever"thread. I am helping to build a collection of books and art centering around Turn of the century English artists. These of course include the pre-raphealites,touch on the Victorians,and often run unto the Bloomsbury group.And also have influence.and are influenced by many othe countries-mostly France and Japan-and include many American based artist as well. What a bunch of queens! Some of them were out-and led very out lives.Many of them were pretty badly closeted.Some of them were prosocuted for their same sex inclinations.Many were forced to move abroad.And yes-there was …
-
- 2 replies
- 1.1k views
-
-
The newest version of Safari is out and in Beta. I have been playing with it for a day and love it. It has some really cool design features and it is easy to use. I really love the new tabs and Top Sites features. It is supposed to improve on speed as well but I haven't noticed anything on that end. But, the new look and feel is great. For you Mac guys out there, give it a try.
-
- 2 replies
- 904 views
- 1 follower
-
-
Well about 10 minutes of it anyway the Opening act was a very cute gayboy(I am guessing here) named Von Smith-very talented,very sincere and likable and probably has a very bright future on Broadway Then came a boy who acted like a chipmunk on speed.His parents looked like they were ready to kill the english guy. Then came a cute but chunky young girl who sang a song 20 years to old for her. I then I watched something else. I will check in on the show in another five years. Best of luck to all involved.
-
It was done with all the grace we have come to expect from th GOP's most exalted lard barrel. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03...rman-apologizes
-
- 5 replies
- 1.5k views
-
-
The inscrutable East... Edible Excretions: Taiwan's Toilet Restaurant "There's poop everywhere! Y-u-c-k," says six-year old Jordan Lien, as he and his family dine at the Modern Toilet, a popular Taiwanese restaurant that's expanding into China and other parts of Asia. The boy was looking at the poop-shaped lights and dish covers, and the curry on toilet-shaped plates. Diarrhea for dinner? That's the point. "It's supposed to shock and confuse the senses," says Modern Toilet Manager Chen Min-kuang. But as Jennifer Finch, an American who was dining there described it, "They do it tastefully. It's all very clean." Every customer sits on a stylish acrylic toilet (lid dow…
-
- 2 replies
- 1.1k views
-
-
Couple of people here have inquired after review sites for female sex workers. Now, dubious goings-on reported at the leading one, www.theeroticreview.com. Notable for, if nothing else, mainstream media attention to such sites... Prostitution Site Cuts Ties With Founder After Charges In part because of David Elms, the business of prostitution is moving from street corners and hotel bars to the Internet. Mr. Elms founded The Erotic Review, a Web site where patrons of prostitutes go to rate their experiences. It’s a bit like Amazon ratings for prostitutes, except of course that paying for books isn’t illegal in most jurisdictions. But now The Erotic Review says it ha…
-
- 0 replies
- 892 views
-
-
For a straight guy, this would be a great job. I wonder if the boys also are painted in Rio? RIO DE JANEIRO – Betto Almeida is the Mr. Lucky of Rio's Carnival. The 36-year-old artist awakes at 8 a.m. Has a little breakfast. Survives a commute through the city's tough traffic. Arrives at the office by 11. Then he spends hours painting the bodies of gorgeous women — and earning as much as $2,000 a day. "You wouldn't believe how many applications I get for an assistant," Almeida deadpanned, never taking his eyes from his work as he brushed bright orange paint on the stomach of a model in his glass-enclosed studio under the grandstands at the Sambadrome, …
-
WASHINGTON – The Obama administration threw open the curtain on years of Bush-era secrets Monday, revealing anti-terror memos that claimed exceptional search-and-seizure powers and divulging that the CIA destroyed nearly 100 videotapes of interrogations and other treatment of terror suspects. The Justice Department released nine legal opinions showing that, following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the Bush administration determined that certain constitutional rights would not apply during the coming fight. Within two weeks, government lawyers were already discussing ways to wiretap U.S. conversations without warrants. The Bush administration eventually a…
-
CNN has just interrupted programming to give information about the crash landing of a Turkish Airlines flight at Schipol. For a good 10 minutes it kept announcing that the aircraft was an A380. Had it in fact been the new super jumbo, the entire airline industry would be aghast. But then it announced there were only 35 people on board and showed a photo that was clearly of a much smaller jet! Now they are saying it was a Boeing 737. You'd have thought someone at such a large global news network would have checked either who flies the A380 (only 3 airlines so far I believe) or at least the airline timetables to avoid giving out such grossly inaccurate information.