The Beer Bar
Open to general topics not covered elsewhere including Current Events, Politics, Religion, Movies and other topics. Discuss the topic, not the policy or personality. Have fun and enjoy!
16,177 topics in this forum
-
Spoiler alert for West Coast watchers of 24. Who else has been watching. This has been a great season. Jon Voight is a great bad guy. And I love that the righteous Senator holding the torture hearings (well played by Kurtwood Smith who played the dad on That 70's Show) is one of the hostages. The episode is still not over...won't give any more away right now.
-
- 3 replies
- 1.2k views
- 1 follower
-
-
If anyone followed it this season, then let me know what u thought. Re stephan, thought he deserved it; wanted carla, clueless to hosea. re the judging, toby's blog pretty good, the judges are inconstent on the voting. score, app, tie, first course, tie, 2nd, stephan, 3rd, hosea, so a tie. and how to decide, that the 4th course of hosea's was way better than 3rd, stephan's over hosea. my point, in the past, Sometimes, score by courses, so 1 - 0; at other times, they seem to give a letter or numerical grade, 75% v. 25%, so ur behind by 50%. i still think they do it to give the nod to whom they want, it makes no sense. Casey's comments, follow, just too good not to …
-
- 3 replies
- 1.3k views
-
-
SNL which is well know for it's skits ridiculing politicians is coming under severe criticism for it's recent portrayal of NYS Governor David Paterson's disability. The governor is legally blind and is speaking out against recent skits that make fun of his disability. Youtube has pulled the SNL skits citing it's "in poor taste". Is this just sick humor or should censorship be applied to curtail criticism of someone due to his/her handicap or disability? What do you think? Attached is a report aired by CNN regarding the Governor's objection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir5Cwc_TSlo...feature=related
-
- 10 replies
- 2.1k views
-
-
Conservatives like their porn, according to a report by ABC News. Per capita, Utah is the biggest porn purchaser. Across the board, these purchases tend to go down on Sundays. See the full report; http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Business/...7202&page=1
-
- 4 replies
- 1.2k views
-
-
Fridiculous! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC58K6s6DQk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMigeQUFQ4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_AtSpFQcDI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiTbQHy1Tx4
-
- 0 replies
- 789 views
-
-
Boobers found this on youtube the other day so I thought I'd share it with you http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...ooking&aq=f Lets just say this feisty mature lady knows her potatoes! Hugs, Greg
-
- 4 replies
- 1.4k views
-
-
HAVANA (Reuters) – President Raul Castro cast aside prominent figures linked to older brother Fidel Castro on Monday as he replaced eight ministers in a shake-up that firmly put his stamp on the Cuban government after a year in power. The reshuffle was billed as a move toward more efficiency in Cuba's communist system, but also dealt a blow to the island's two best-known younger leaders as Castro consolidated his grip on the government. The changes did not appear to signal a sharp turn in policy by Castro, 77, but might make it easier for him to modernize the state-run economy, analysts said. Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090303/wl_nm/...ba_gover…
-
Latest edition of Buffett's always elucidative annual letter to shareholders: To the Shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway Inc.: Our decrease in net worth during 2008 was $11.5 billion, which reduced the per-share book value of both our Class A and Class B stock by 9.6%. Over the last 44 years (that is, since present management took over) book value has grown from $19 to $70,530, a rate of 20.3% compounded annually. The table on the preceding page, recording both the 44-year performance of Berkshire’s book value and the S&P 500 index, shows that 2008 was the worst year for each. The period was devastating as well for corporate and municipal bonds, real estate and co…
-
- 4 replies
- 1.3k views
-
-
Friday night at Numbers Chris was not there.There was another cute guy and Moz the owner. I noticed quite a few folks would come in,notice Chris was not working,and either leave right away or just have one drink and then leave. So,,,,do you go to a particular bar because of one or more of the bartenders?Would you follow that bartender if he went to another establishment? I have a very good friend who is a bartender at an esatblishment that has fallen on very hard times.The crowd is less than lovely and I have told him I would not be visiting with him very often-and to not take it personally.That took a lot for me to do-but I just cannot go to the crummy bar any longer.
-
- 0 replies
- 798 views
-
-
Last night I went to see the LA Opera.s new production of Das Rheingold. Not only was it torturously bad it was also just under three hours with no breaks I guess that was nothing new-that is how it is written.The music was glorious and the singing was pretty good-but the new staging by Achim Freyer was so incredibly juvenile(while trying to pass as German expresisoinsm)that the audience laughed at several non funny parts.I was embarrased for the performers And trust me-if there had been an intermission they would have lost half of the house $200 to be tortured-and I did not even get off http://theguide.latimes.com/music/la-opera...rheingold-event
-
- 12 replies
- 2.2k views
-
-
Whether Democrat or Republican, I think you'll get a kick out of this! A little boy goes to his dad and asks, 'What is Politics?' Dad says, 'Well son, let me try to explain it this way: I am the head of the family, so call me The President. Your mother is the administrator of the money, so we call her the Government. We are here to take care of your needs, so we will call you the People. The nanny, we will consider her the Working Class. And your baby brother, we will call him the Future.. Now think about that and see if it makes sense.' So the little boy goes off to bed thinking about what Dad has said. Later …
-
Legendary broadcaster Paul Harvey Dies (CNN) -- Paul Harvey, the legendary radio host whose career sharing "the rest of the story" with listeners spanned more than 70 years, has died, according to ABC Radio Networks. He was 90. Harvey died at a hospital in Phoenix, Arizona, where he kept a winter home, said Louis Adams, a spokesman for the networks. He was surrounded by family members when he died, Adams said. Known for his deliberate delivery and pregnant pauses, Harvey's broadcasts were heard on more than 1,200 radio stations and 400 Armed Forces networks and his commentaries appeared in 300 newspapers, according to his Web site. He had been hos…
-
OneWorld Alliance (AA, BA, Cathay etc.) is offering 10% off all round-the-world fares in all classes. Tickets must be booked and paid for by mid April for travel any time this year. More detail on http://www.oneworld.com
-
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Romney Picked as 2012 GOP Front-Runner Conservative activists on Saturday named former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney the winner of a poll for best 2012 GOP presidential candidate. The poll marked the third consecutive year Romney came out on top. Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal placed second in the annual poll, conducted at the Conservative Political Action Conference. Romney received 20 percent of the vote and Jindal got 14 percent. Close behind were Texas Rep. Ron Paul and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who each received 13 percent of the vote. The results were culled over two days from 1,757 of the party activists who came…
-
- 5 replies
- 1.9k views
-
-
I am not bragging, but the amount of my retirement has gone up enough that I can now retire anywhere that would have me. If the S... should hit the fan and Thailand becomes too unstable, I would like to know where others might think would be a good safe place to retire outside of the US. While I love Asia and the boys, my heart yearns to see historical sites and great works of art. Therefore, Europe would be my second choice. My taste goes to cities like Barcelona, Florence, Paris, Amsterdamn, and London, but with the great rail system in Europe I could live cheaper outside of these places and still get anywhere. Any suggestions in mind that you know or have heard o…
-
FIRST BOOK OF DEMOCRAT OBAMA IS A SHEPHERD, I SHALL NOT WANT. HE LEADETH ME BESIDE STILL FACTORIES. HE RESTORETH MY FAITH IN THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. HE GUIDETH ME IN THE PATH OF UNEMPLOYMENT. YEA, THOUGH I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE BREAD LINE, I SHALL NOT GO HUNGRY. OBAMA HAS ANOINTED MY INCOME WITH TAXES, MY EXPENSES RUNNETH OVER MY INCOME, SURELY, POVERTY AND HARD LIVING WILL FOLLOW ME ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE. THE DEMOCRATS AND I WILL LIVE FOREVER IN A RENTED HOME. BUT I AM GLAD I AM AN AMERICAN, I AM GLAD THAT I AM FREE. BUT I WISH I WAS A DOG AND OBAMA WAS A TREE.
-
- 3 replies
- 1.7k views
-
-
The Australian author, Harry Nicolaides is freed from a Thai jail after being given a royal pardon. The author was arrested last August for insulting the Thai monarchy in his book, Verisimilitude. I think he had a few lines that were not flattering to the crown prince. He was sentenced to three years in jail.
-
BANGKOK: -- Flag carrier Thai Airways posted a huge loss of 21.3 billion baht (592 million dollars) in 2008 because of high fuel prices and protests that briefly shuttered Bangkok's airports, the company said. The airline made a profit of 4.4 billion baht in 2007, and last year's plunge was the company's first annual loss in 43 years. "For the fiscal year 2008 Thai Airways International continues to encounter crises such as the continuing sharp rise of jet fuel price, the global economic slowdown as well as the political unrest in the country," the airline said. In the statement released late Friday, Thai Airways also blamed foreign exchange losses due to t…
-
NEW YORK (Reuters) – The Dow industrials closed at a more than six-year low on Thursday as investor fears that banks could be nationalized drove their stocks to a 17-year low and a rise in the number people receiving jobless benefits to a record high stoked worries about the deepening recession. Why are they talking about nationalizing banks? Maybe the Republicans were right when they said that Obama was going to turn the US into a socialist system?
-
Im teaming up with the Fabulous Brandon Baker in inviting all of you to a MERmen dinner at Numbers next Friday(2/27/09)at 7:30 At the Rentboy.com night I will be there early(as usual-I will be early to my own funeral most likely) Brandon Baker is going to be sending out an invite to several working fellas-and as always there will be plenty of cute "hosts"working the room. It is a lot of fun. Drink specials 6-8 and half piced bar menu. Let me know if you will be able to attend so I can reserve a table. Hope to see you there And yes-folks from "the other site"are more than welcome to join us as well
-
- 7 replies
- 1.6k views
-
-
Hey Guys, I'm in the process of getting up all my ads now that I'm coming out of retirement. What would you say are the best sites to make sure and be on? A few of the sites I used to be on don't even exist anymore and I'm sure that some new ones have popped up over the past 2 years.
-
Newspapers in the UK are publishing pictures which supposedly show Michael Phelps smoking a bong. IF (and I emphasize if) it is true, this could torpedo his participation in the 2012 games in London. I believe there is a 4-year ban from the Olympics for drug use. Read more at: http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/15083...nabis-pipe.html Very, very sad.
-
- 51 replies
- 7.4k views
- 1 follower
-
-
From Yahoo. Muslim TV exec accused of beheading wife in NY By CAROLYN THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer Carolyn Thompson, Associated Press Writer ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. – The crime drips with brutal irony: a woman decapitated, allegedly by her estranged husband, in the offices of the television network the couple founded with the hope of countering Muslim stereotypes. Muzzammil "Mo" Hassan is accused of beheading his wife last week, days after she filed for divorce. Authorities have not discussed the role religion or culture might have played, but the slaying gave rise to speculation that it was the sort of "honor killing" more common in countries half…
-
The following appears in THE NATION: _____ Ex Post-Officeman Gets 50 Years By The Nation Published on February 28, 2009 The Criminal Court yesterday sentenced a former postoffice official to 50 years in jail for embezzling nearly Bt300,000. Komkrit "Soranat" Wongsasing took Bt299,674 from 24 money orders between November 16, 2000 and March 2, 2001 when processing money orders at Dusit Post Office. Komkrit, 32, has returned the money to Cat Telecom, which organises money orders via post offices. "I was too young to realise I was doing wrong. I was worried about taking care of my elderly parents," he said. Because Komkrit pleaded guilt…
-
BEIJING – With its slim white body and glowing amber tip, it can easily pass as a regular cigarette. It even emits what look like curlicues of white smoke. The Ruyan V8, which produces a nicotine-infused mist absorbed directly into the lungs, is just one of a rapidly growing array of electronic cigarettes attracting attention in China, the U.S. and elsewhere — and the scrutiny of world health officials. Marketed as a healthier alternative to smoking and a potential way to kick the habit, the smokeless smokes have been distributed in swag bags at the British film awards and hawked at an international trade show. Because no burning is involved, makers say there's …