thailandone3

Help me plan my trip! Pattaya vs Bangkok

Hi everyone, I'll be coming to Thailand in the last week of september, but i'm not sure if I should stop by bangkok or just head straight to pattaya.

I've been to pattaya a few times, but have not explored the gay scene in bangkok (the few times i stayed in bangkok I was with straight friends), am I missing much?

I'll really only be coming for the boys, should I split the trip? I've balked at going to bangkok solo before thinking about it being more expensive there.

Really depends on type of boys you like .  BKK has more muscular boys in general. Price are higher for offs, drinks and tips and can add up over 2 weeks.  BKK is better if you enjoy massages although there are a few decent ones in Pattaya.

Lodging is generally lower in Pattaya . Pattaya is far better if you use Gayromeo, Hornet, Jack'd etc .

If you are only spending 1 week , I would stick with Pattaya unless you did not like the boys.  If longer then spend the last 2 or 3 nights in BKK and you will know next time instead of wondering what you are missing.

Bangkok will cost more, as Firecat says.  

Whilst he is also correct to say there are more muscular boys generally, there is still choice and Classic Boys often has a better selection of twinks than any single Pattaya bar.

If you are happy to allow a budget of say 50% more, per day, then why not stay there for a couple of nights before taking the bus down to Pattaya ?    If not, go straight to Pattaya.     

This advice is taking into account you have visited Bangkok before.   For any first time visitor, the advice would be to go to Bangkok and spend some time sightseeing during the day.

But this is were everybody is different. I stay in Bangkok a month at a time and wouldn't spend more than 2 or 3 nights in Pattaya.

I think when people ask which is better, it's best to tell them what we like about different places and let them decide what's best for them.

I've been to pattaya a few times, but have not explored the gay scene in bangkok

Go to Bangkok. Like firecat noticed above , if you don't try it  you will never know what you are missing.

Since we don't know you nor your favorite types of boys we can only advise based on what we are and what we like.

Some will swear by Pattaya and never spend much time in BKK, there are others  who are parking themselves in Bkk and visit Pattaya rarely or not at all.

As for boys you may find your gem everywhere. But what is your gem?

Skinny twinks   in Vassa or Cupidol and  Sunny Plaza but also in Classic , XBoys BKK or Screwboys. Looking for big boys ? Nothing beats Tawan  , but if their boys are too big you will find decently muscled in  Jupiter, Dream Boy or Hot Male  as well as in BoysBoysBoys or ABomb.

Shows are more ubiquitous in BKK but  ones in BoysBoysBoys or Xboys Pattaya are as good as BKK ones.

Massages  are by far more popular in BKK and number of venues is in dozens but if you are there week  you may have enough decent ones between Magnolia, Narcissus and Royal House and  all three Pattayaland soi 3 ones.

Since you mentioned you are coming for boys only what do you do during day? In Bangkok you can be occupied with shopping, sightseeing and boy hunting whole day. Pattaya is more compact and after few days everybody and his brother will know what you are looking for.

I'm biased, visited Pattaya only on my 9th trip and did not even liked it but encouraged by some here decided to give her a chance and it worked,   returning ever since and adding 1 more day to each subsequent stay but if forced to choose it would be BKK no doubt, but it's just me.

Price wise Pattaya seems to be cheaper on almost every account - hotels, restaurants , bar and massage fees, drinks and tips but are you really going for vacation to worry about 30 baht difference of breakfast  price or 100-150 in cost of drinks and off fees? Yes it adds up over week or two but wouldn't be cheaper to stay home than sweat over your wallet 7/24 ? 

Bangkok has solution for it too- Saranrom boys are charging uniform 500, soi 6  bar boys will go with you for 1000 ST and drinks are 100-150.

Acting on paulsf advice above I recommend Bangkok because gay scene is more varied and there's no danger of boredom for me  during day. 

I'll be in Bangkok the last week in September. I'll be pearched on my favorite seat at the bar at Hot Male on Soi Twilight.

Stop by and say hi, and I can help point you in the right direction. From what my friends have been telling me, I might be the only customer there quite often.

I have visited Pattaya only twice and that's enough for me.

what you did not like? just curious?

My first impression when there first time in Nov 2013 was plenty of sad and lonely old farangs wandering or sitting aimlessly.

But on next trip I somehow adjusted and did not notice them anymore, they still were but subconsciously I treated them as part of scenery I guess.  

My first impression when there first time in Nov 2013 was plenty of sad and lonely old farangs wandering or sitting aimlessly.

But on next trip I somehow adjusted and did not notice them anymore, they still were but subconsciously I treated them as part of scenery I guess.  

Oh, what a low blow, vinapu!  

For me, give me Pattaya or give me death.  Bangkok was fun on my first couple of visits 15 years ago but now Pattaya is number one. But, sadly, Pattaya is not same same as in bad old days.

There aren't many things you can do during the day unlike in Bangkok.

anonone found cure for that , he is partying whole night and sleeps day over, bonus- no need to fight jet lag.

But I agree with you , in May on the fifth day I was glad I'm going back to BKK because I did not have an idea what to do  if I stay longer but there's solution - take day trips to BKK    

It all comes down to a personal choice.

The OP stated he has visited BKK many times so I assumed rightly or wrongly that he has done the Tourist things. 

So then it comes down to Boys and whether Massages, Beer Bars or GoGo Bars or shows are your thing. Also if you like the social media sites.

I lived in BKK 2 1/2 years and more trips then I can count to both places.

I average 2 boys per day so the difference in prices between the 2 places adds up to a substantial amount.

I don't drink so it gets old paying 350-400 baht for a soda in BKK vs 180-200 baht in Pattaya. I can't imagine sitting through more then 1 or 2 shows in a trip so both places have an adequate selection and in Fact if you want Full Sex shows there is a better chance to see it in Pattaya then BKK under the new restrictions. Of course this changes weekly.

Pattaya is much more compact so traffic jams are less of a problem.

But for me the biggest difference is the Social Media sites which I use frequently and in Pattaya you can find a boy 24 hours a day and have him in your room in 30 minutes. Much much harder in BKK

I still love BKK but for the city more then the Boys. I always spend 5 nights there at the end of my trip and that is enough for me.

Haha I think any new member should do a test to see if they're a firecat or a vinapu.. Both your replies are really quite informative, I can't wait to get to Thailand!

You're right in assuming I've done the touristy things, now that I'm finally going solo my priority is going to be sin.

I'll probably be going to stay in bkk for 2nights and spend the rest in pattaya as opposed to spending the whole trip there. Should I be concerned about booking hotels before? I'm thinking of just booking 2 nights in bkk and deciding if I wanna stay longer.not sure if I should book the pattaya hotel as well.

Don't know what kind of Hotels you like. It would be hard to beat the price for the Courtyard in another thread here during a Flash Sale by Marriott.

It is a very nice hotel with Big Showers and never had any problem with guests . Just make sure you reserve for 2 people.

Tons of choices in Pattaya depending on what you like and when your trip is.

Pattaya has one big advantage over Bangkok - the sea. The sound of the waves, the sea breeze, sunset on a good day. Lounging under beach umbrellas with masseurs and other services available at your beck & call. And only occasionally while enjoying the water one is rudely brushed by floating jetsam, which is a slight annoyance. The sea, the sea...

Guest abang1961

I am quite backwards actually.. I only discover Ko Larn last August.

It was a very inexpensive trip.. just THB 30 for the ferry (one way)..

But the problem was finding a "quieter" spot as there were too many mainland Chinese then.

The cost was almost the same as Jomtien but the boat trip was something "extra"...instead of squeezing inside a baht bus, the spacious seats and welcoming sea breeze was a REAL CHANGE (for the better)... 

You need to spend a little extra and take a favorite Boy by private speed boat to the other side of the island where the beach will not be crowded. Make sure private boat know private beach.

You can take from Beach Rd or Jomtien. Tell them how long you want to stay and they will come back for you