Exchanging Money

vinapu, your methodology  seems somewhat flawed. Withdrawing just 1000 Baht from an ATM machine would be quite costly at 200 Baht/transaction = 20% or more if  your home bank also includes a fee?

me and flawed method?

No I did not withdraw 1000 , I withdrew 13000 which is maximum I can take out daily . self imposed limit set with bank, but I calculated how much it cost me to get 1000 in any case.

You are right about withdrawing small amounts being senseless, in my case  200 baht fee to Thai bank and 135 charged by my own bank so it costs 335 in fees just to get my money

I went to Vasu exchange on Monday morning. This is my first time there so I am going to document what I know from this trip.

The Chinese woman by the counter was very rude when I asked a question. Her attitude is like 'take it or leave it'. They don't like answering any question. Everything must be robotic.

was difference in exchange rates worth all this indignity of waiting and bearing with rude staff ?

Sometimes we are chasing better rates going overboard, one of my friends went from Silom  to some place  in Sukhumvit to exchange 200 USD and only after the deed he realised that after deduction cots of getting there and back by BTS  all he saved was cost of less than two cans of beer at 7/11

My bank pays all the fees, so very easy for me to use ATM. When I have some cash to change, I have always used Superichs in Silom. They have never asked for a passport or any paperwork. I think their rates are among the best.

Was in Superrich Silom three times, they asked my passport as well, but were OK with photocopy of my passport once. Could be many people sometimes, if there is a group of tourists there. That was confirmed by my local friend, who worked about 3 years accross the street - he didn't know it's a currency exchange, but did see groups of people often there. Funny how local and tourists have different experience at the same place :)

In April I saw a booth with "Superrich" sign at a couple of the central BTS stations as well

According to this website, there's a branch at Airport rail link, can anyone confirm that it offers the same rate as downtown?

yes, they do, you will find them just before escalator down to the train platform but in contrast to airport proper outlets they are not open 7/24 so if one is arriving  late, tough luck

What you could do is check exchange rates on the following site before boarding your flight to Thailand.   Rates are unlikely to crash en-route.

https://daytodaydata.net/

Then if the rate looks good, change a load of money at the airport rail link.   They were certainly good rates back in December

Also, as I probably stated earlier in the thread, the bank kiosk next to Superrich @ the rail link was matching the Superich rate on my last trip. With no queue.   

I think that's an exception, as the banks in Silom tend not to match Superrich, or even get close.

For reference   GBP==>THB rates @ present are:

Current XE mid market rate =50.5796   (theoretical)

Superrich rate for large sums = 50.3

Best rate in London* = 49.01  (Best Foreign Exchange)

* As found via Moneysupermarket

So changing in Bangkok can save over 2% and carrying £50 notes takes less space.