Share your scam stories here.

Somebody said here just google scams in Bangkok. So for fun I just googled Pantip Plaza scams.

http://www.thebigchilli.com/features/the-latest-shopping-mall-scamyou-want-a-genuine-or-fake-mobile

Somebody please tell me how gullible you have to be to think that you will get an iPhone for 4500 that will be as good as the real thing at 25,000.  I feel sorry for a Thai person not familiar with electronics falling for this charade in order to help her daughter but I don't feel the least sorry for a non Thai world traveller that does not realize he is buying junk. Why should he have to be warned about it.  Common sense should be enough.

When I made my first visit to Patong market I did not need to be warned that a watch that was thousands of dollars in the USA and being sold for 1000 baht was likely a piece of junk. Over time I was able to find quality fake watches in MBK where the store stood behind the sale. And I have 3 boxes full of watches , some of which are ten years and still working.

Common sense should allow you to avoid scams  and general awareness and taking certain precautions should protect you from thefts.

There are Gay Sex places in the world were common sense and general awareness will not save you but it will increase your chances of not having a problem.

First I'm not aware of where here is and unless you took it into an Apple store to verify its authenticity you have no idea what it is. An OEM box means nothing . All the fakes come in the Boxes that appear to be Apple original. Take a walk through MBK. There are thousands of OEM Apple Boxes displayed but of course they are empty.

Second it's a private sale. Maybe someone could be desperate for money immediately but other then that I see no reason you would have got such a deal or it could have been stolen. Other then that Lucky you!

Yep, over the years apple replaced the screen, helped me with a software upgrade issue and installed a new battery for me.

I've gotten other great deals using craigslist, offer up and eBay. Also at mall clearance sales.

I can't remember the last time I got scammed here in the USA.

But even when I am showing a new person around in thailand I'm also warning them about the scams and the scams that got me on my first trip.

Guest Steve1903

Couple of thefts and pickpocketed. Not scams, just theft. Taken to wrong hotel on first visit by taxi driver who informed me "this better hotel, your hotel bad". Five minutes of persuasion got me to the correct hotel. Also had the "Royal Palace closed" routine.

Plenty of thieves, pickpockets and scam artists in any major tourist destination around the world. You want to try London, that's just full of wankers.

Just to be clear I don't consider the taxis in Pattaya a scam either.  I just think you must haggle really hard to get close to a reasonable fare. But I have gotten the same fare from Royal Garden Mall to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital as I will pay for a baht bus to myself and direct. Two guesses  which I'd rather take . But again you are free to turn down the price. I see no difference between that and the prices charged for drinks on Soi Twilight.  If you don't like the price do not enter. As far as being prepared for it I certainly did not need anyone to tell me the baht bus fare in most cases for a non thai is 10 baht in a thread about scams .

But now you're mixing two different things.

First you talked about using a (shared) baht bus, for which the correct fare is a fixed 10 baht. No haggling, you just flag it down and hop on. But you remarked that you are well advised to give them the exact amount, because otherwise some of the drivers will drive off without giving you your change. That's a reasonable precaution, but if all baht bus drivers were honest, it clearly wouldn't be necessary.

Now you're talking about taxis. That's right, you just haggle and unless you're happy with the price, just don't use it. Still the law says that taxi meters have to use the meter, so as far as you mean actual taxi meters and not for example a baht bus that you hire for your exclusive use, calling such a taxi driver a scammer is technically correct. They prey on people who don't know or don't care enough, and it works because of a serious lack of enforcement. In my opinion, not a big deal and most of my many experiences with taxi drivers have been completely unremarkable, but nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

Just to review this thread. 9 never been scammed, 2 possible thefts but not sure and Bucknaway and Christian who seem to have a lot of negative experiences.

And one who cannot count & does not accept there is value in others sharing scam stories so they may avoid them.

It is unreasonable to fill a thread with your inaccurate & blinkered objections. Particularly when you describe some of your own behaviour, which seems to be adapted to avoid scams.

I have a couple of problems with members who post 3rd party stories about a scam they never experienced and have no reason to know if it is true.

I shouldn't worry about that. Most members will be smart enough to interpret what is written. So third party scams are welcome.

Guest abang1961

Honestly sometimes I think we deserve to be duped!

Case in hand is the purchase of copy phones. I have to repeat how prices of "inexpensive" mobile phones have been lately.  When I was in Pattaya 2 months ago, I saw GOOD phones from Lenovo and Hua Wei (famous brands from China) going for less than THB 5000.  I bought one for THB 7900 (before VAT refund of THB 450).

Honestly sometimes I think we deserve to be duped!

Case in hand is the purchase of copy phones. I have to repeat how prices of "inexpensive" mobile phones have been lately. When I was in Pattaya 2 months ago, I saw GOOD phones from Lenovo and Hua Wei (famous brands from China) going for less than THB 5000. I bought one for THB 7900 (before VAT refund of THB 450).[/quote

I purchased a copy phone for show and tell back home. I tell my friends in the usa about the lookalike products in thailand. We just happened to get scammed by the seller.

I hate to admit that I went to the web to look up phone buying scams in thailand and told my friends what to be on the look out for and they got us still with the switch warning I read and warned my friends about.

I guess they have better practice at it than we were prepared for.

I purchased a copy phone for show and tell back home.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall if you're inspected and find yourself having to explain to a customs officer what you're doing trying to bring in a counterfeit telephone.  Why do I think customs might have a little problem accepting that explanation?

While I realize this video has nothing to do with scams in Thailand, since you brought up telephone scams, I just had to share my all time favorite - just for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtKzp1qb6SE

But now you're mixing two different things.

First you talked about using a (shared) baht bus, for which the correct fare is a fixed 10 baht. No haggling, you just flag it down and hop on. But you remarked that you are well advised to give them the exact amount, because otherwise some of the drivers will drive off without giving you your change. That's a reasonable precaution, but if all baht bus drivers were honest, it clearly wouldn't be necessary.

Now you're talking about taxis. That's right, you just haggle and unless you're happy with the price, just don't use it. Still the law says that taxi meters have to use the meter, so as far as you mean actual taxi meters and not for example a baht bus that you hire for your exclusive use, calling such a taxi driver a scammer is technically correct. They prey on people who don't know or don't care enough, and it works because of a serious lack of enforcement. In my opinion, not a big deal and most of my many experiences with taxi drivers have been completely unremarkable, but nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

Don't put words in my mouth. The fact that I make sure I have some 10 baht coins in my pocket has nothing to do with crooked baht bus drivers. It is convenient to just hand them the coin and walk away rather then staying waiting for them to make change.

I have no reason to think Baht Bus drivers are crooked and in fact think they probably work rather long hours to make a living and I have been paying the same 10 baht for many years.

I don't know a single country where taxis are actually regulated and the rules enforced with the exception of Great Britain where it is cheaper to buy a house then take a taxi. HeHe

I'd like to be a fly on the wall if you're inspected and find yourself having to explain to a customs officer what you're doing trying to bring in a counterfeit telephone. Why do I think customs might have a little problem accepting that explanation?

While I realize this video has nothing to do with scams in Thailand, since you brought up telephone scams, I just had to share my all time favorite - just for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtKzp1qb6SE

I was stopped by customs that trip but they didn't take anything from my bags. I think he was looking for drugs.

As a matter of fact, I've been stopped by customs on my last few trips and I expect to be stopped again. I think I fit a certain profile.

And one who cannot count & does not accept there is value in others sharing scam stories so they may avoid them.

It is unreasonable to fill a thread with your inaccurate & blinkered objections. Particularly when you describe some of your own behaviour, which seems to be adapted to avoid scams.

Londoner, Paulsf, Jfarmer017, Alexx, Abang1961, Smiles, Stijtnje, Divine Madman , A447a, Firecat and even you admit you have never suffered a scam personally.

You are right . It is 10 people who have never experienced personally any scams. Some suspect stolen money and some have experienced thefts.  Bottom line the overwhelming number of people have never been scammed or have been smart to avoid a scam if it had been tried on them personally.

And then we we have a couple of members who have suffered scams and thieves multiple times.  I honestly don't know what that says except they need to change the way they do things .

Bucknaway even feels he was scammed because he went to buy an illegal phone and they actually gave him an illegal inferior phone. The scammer got scammed. I can't make this stuff up.  HeHe

Guest abang1961

I believe we are SMART enough to spend our money wisely.

We are what we are willing to pay for... a cheapskate is always a cheapskate (that's me included).

There are so many temptations in Asia with regards to "discounted" counterfeit goods - from apparels to electronic goods.

Admit it, weren't we tempted to buy those knock-offs at Silom Night Market .. those THB 100 underwear for ourselves or the boys?

Would we have the same level of confidence wearing/holding/owning fake goods?

Certainly NOT.

Moreover here in Singapore (and many other places in Singapore), the customs keep a keen eye on eradicating counterfeits.  It is not uncommon to see French customs hoarding heaps of fake LV from Chinese mainlanders... 

A scam is a scam.

I purchased a shirt that says Polo on it and I know it's not authentic and got the shirt I picked. A copy of the original and I didn't get scammed. I did get scammed when I baught a phone.

My sister asked me to buy a few thousand dollars worth of gems for her when I go to thailand. I laughed and told her they would sell me paste and glass or scam me in some way.

I didn't want to take the chance with her money.

You bought a copy and you got a copy. If you were not willing to buy what you know is an illegal phone then it would be impossible for you to get scammed.

If you went into MBK and wanted to buy an iPhone. The vast majority of the stands would ask you if you wanted the real thing or an illegal copy. If you responded you wanted the real thing and they gave you a copy then you would have been scammed.

But you went into Patnip knowingly to buy an illegal phone, you got an illegal phone and I don't feel the least bit sorry for you.

As I have recounted I bought my first copy watch in Patpong Market.  Of course I was well aware that I was buying an illegal copy and Customs might take it from me on entry into the USA.  Long time ago but I paid somewhere between 500- 1000 baht.

I was hoping to get a year of use out of it or maybe until my next trip. It stopped working a week after I returned.

Do I think I got scammed? Of course not !. I bought something I knew was illegal and should have no complaints.

Oh and by the way I have many friends that have bought precious or semi precious stones in Thailand.

They went to reputable dealers and when they returned home to insure them found they were appraised in every case at or higher then the price they paid.

True if you don't know how to find a reputable dealer in anything then you have no business buying it.

Still a scam.

I didn't buy from someone in the back in the corner in the dark behind a bush with hushed voices.

I purchased from an established shop with a sign permanent display cases like any other shop. Everything about them appeared professional. It just turns out they were professional cheats.

Reputable dealers that sell gems in Thailand? I'm not taking any chances.

Still a scam.

I didn't buy from someone in the back in the corner in the dark behind a bush with hushed voices.

I purchased from an established shop with a sign permanent display cases like any other shop. Everything about them appeared professional. It just turns out they were professional cheats.

Reputable dealers that sell gems in Thailand? I'm not taking any chances.

You were buying from professional cheats and thieves. The types of shops where in many countries come in and seize everything they have on display.  By  your own admission, you were buying a copy.  You knew you were buying a copy and you knew it was illegal for them to be produced and sold.

And yet you went in and purchased an illegal product. Sorry you got what you deserved just like I did in the first illegal copy watch I bought.  I did not feel sorry for me and I don't feel sorry for you!

All you had to do is buy the real thing which apparently you did when you bought a used phone. That is what happens when you buy the real thing. It works!

Well they may be in other places but these shops in thailand in a mall will appear on the up and up to the first time traveler. It's best to let them know they stand a good chance of getting scammed.

They got me and my friends and we were looking out for the scam but they were too well practiced in their art of deception.