gerefan

Nantra/Tarntawan

Always stayed at the Tarntawan but its getting expensive and tired.

Any views on the Nantra on Silom?

Know its cheap but is it OK? Noisy?

Any advise appreciated.

I like Nantra and In my opinion it's even better than just OK. Close to Silom but in quiet corner, pretty modern, not luxurious but adequate.

Alizizou is right about breakfast - very basic , coffee, toast with jam, cereals and some fruit so I usually supplemnet it with  cheap breakfast at Foodland Patpong.

Standard rooms are on smallish side but Deluxe ones are quite comfortable for price charged.

No problem with visitors , even multiple ones but they may charge you  100-200 for  a towel if you request an extra one .

Have you tried Malaysia hotel?

best value for a money, spacious and sunny rooms with some view, clean, no luxuries but enough comfort to stay.

They will keep your guest ID on reception and call you  to confirm all is Ok when he leaves, No safety boxes in the room, you must use those in reception , deposit 500 requred,

No free  breakfast , nor free internet but for 700-800 what do you expect. Breakfast in cafeteria not expensive though.

No more money boys there. Only problem is a bit of distance from the scene, taxi from Silom will be 60-100, motorsai from Lumpini MRT 20 or 10 minutes walk.

Book early as it fills very fast. 

I like Nantra and In my opinion it's even better than just OK. Close to Silom but in quiet corner, pretty modern, not luxurious but adequate.

Alizizou is right about breakfast - very basic , coffee, toast with jam, cereals and some fruit so I usually supplemnet it with cheap breakfast at Foodland Patpong.

Standard rooms are on smallish side but Deluxe ones are quite comfortable for price charged.

No problem with visitors , even multiple ones but they may charge you 100-200 for a towel if you request an extra one .

best value for a money, spacious and sunny rooms with some view, clean, no luxuries but enough comfort to stay.

They will keep your guest ID on reception and call you to confirm all is Ok when he leaves, No safety boxes in the room, you must use those in reception , deposit 500 requred,

No free breakfast , nor free internet but for 700-800 what do you expect. Breakfast in cafeteria not expensive though.

No more money boys there. Only problem is a bit of distance from the scene, taxi from Silom will be 60-100, motorsai from Lumpini MRT 20 or 10 minutes walk.

Book early as it fills very fast.

And has a swimming pool. I love the food in the 24hr restaurant

A safe in the room is a must.

Don't the people running Nantra know customers like a room safe?

2000 baht 1 off capex per room & then a lot more customers will consider the place, so they can increase occupancy or prices.

YOU-western customers want that-they mainly deal with Aseans who think of other priorities-besides, Nantra is by now a small local chain and I guess they simply have a standard room-layout and service model. It seems more aimed at budget-bisnis-people-and you must have seen the banks and offices other side of Silom and along Satorn.

BTW-they often have stands at the 2-year Thai Travel markets in Sirikitte Centre (which I have to visit mostly)and then you can buy local-people cheaper coupons to stay there-some Thai holiday-dates are barred for it.

Guest ryanasia

I can only hope the owner from Tarntawan reads these threads. For many of us this used to be the go to place. I hope he can get his business back on track.

YOU-western customers want that-they mainly deal with Aseans who think of other priorities-besides, Nantra is by now a small local chain and I guess they simply have a standard room-layout and service model.

Interesting theory. They are welcome to not chase my business, but they also do enough English language marketing.

After reading your piece, I checked the Nantra website.

They have 2 hotels in Pattaya and in both cases, their website shows pictures including a room safe.

The third hotel I checked was the Sukhumvit one, which also has a picture of a room with a safe.

So a standard model does not explain the lack of a safe in the Silom branch. Including bolting them to the wall, I expect installation of a safe should take less than 20 minutes per room, if anchoring to the walls with 8mm steel anchors.

I e-mailed them to ask about the room safe (nantrasilom@gmail.com). On the basis that if they get enough enquiries of that nature, they might just install them.

A safe in the room is a must.

Don't the people running Nantra know customers like a room safe?

2000 baht 1 off capex per room & then a lot more customers will consider the place, so they can increase occupancy or prices.

I'd rather have them NOT increasing prices, safety  boxes are just a toys. If one really cares about his possessions boxes on reception for me seem to be much better bet. 

But so far as long as I'm concerned in absence of safety deposit box , a padlock on my suitcase serves me well. 

Nantra Silom has safety boxes in the rooms but it seems to be maintenance problem and often they just don't open / close.

...a safe in the Silom branch. Including bolting them to the wall, I expect installation of a safe should take less than 20 minutes per room, if anchoring to the walls with 8mm steel anchors.

You are right but on another hand do you really think you guest will take off  in your presence with such a heavy piece of metal?

Even Raya. much classier and newer has safety boxes just hidden in the closet, not bolted .

I don't think it fits a description for  an opportunistic crime

I'd rather have them NOT increasing prices, safety boxes are just a toys. If one really cares about his possessions boxes on reception for me seem to be much better bet.

But so far as long as I'm concerned in absence of safety deposit box , a padlock on my suitcase serves me well.

Nantra Silom has safety boxes in the rooms but it seems to be maintenance problem and often they just don't open / close.

I wouldn't want a safe at reception. I'm taking my money in and out so day. I wouldn't want to be at reception found that. No safe in room is a deal breaker.

I wouldn't want a safe at reception. I'm taking my money in and out so day. I wouldn't want to be at reception found that. No safe in room is a deal breaker.

It is valid concern. In places where I'm using safety box  on reception I don't keep money in view, either I have money belt and take whole thing out to return with it later or have cash in envelopes and just take one envelope with usually 5000 in it to tidy me over.

I'm not arguing about benefits of safety box in the room  since I like it as well, just I  don't consider it that important and learned how to cope without.

Even with most careful planning we may arrive late to discover that box is not working and hotel is full so no substitute room is available but still is enough time to bring boy over so we need to have plan B IMHO

Sometimes safety boxes in the room don't open because the previous occupant did not leave the door open for the next occupant to reset the combination lock, in which case the reception staff is only too willing to help you out.

Breakfast at Nantra is practically vegetarian so it's acceptable for everyone. Take a second helping if you're feeling particularly hungry.

Only if it doesn't have a zip. A suitcase with a zip that goes all the way around can be quickly opened with a ballpoint pen or some other sharp object. Totally useless.

I quite like the look of the new hotel down by soi twilight "THE RAYA SURAWONG", price wise it may not be in most budgets but it looks quite nice and is well located.

Only if it doesn't have a zip. A suitcase with a zip that goes all the way around can be quickly opened with a ballpoint pen or some other sharp object. Totally useless.

Isn't it easier just to steal whole suitcase ?

I quite like the look of the new hotel down by soi twilight "THE RAYA SURAWONG", price wise it may not be in most budgets but it looks quite nice and is well located.

more or less it's the same price range like Tarntawan but new and modern 

Yeah, that is what happened at Ambiance. The previous occupant didn't leave the safe door open for me. It was locked. I had to call them. I thought someone would come and punch like 123* or something simple and it would open. But no, they had to call maintenance and they had to drill it open. It was a big thing. Took them forever, but it made me feel good that it is hard to get in it.

Yeah, that is what happened at Ambiance. The previous occupant didn't leave the safe door open for me. It was locked. I had to call them. I thought someone would come and punch like 123* or something simple and it would open. But no, they had to call maintenance and they had to drill it open. It was a big thing. Took them forever, but it made me feel good that it is hard to get in it.

No, that just means they lost maintenance key - every such electronic safe box has keyhole for this mechanical key to open. Usually manager has key. Keyhole located under cover btw handle and keypad.

HTB1mlv_HpXXXXa3XVXXq6xXFXXXJ.jpg