tamtam

Silom Night Market

Is the Silom Night Market still operating or have the authorities managed to close it already? I always liked walking in Silom and looking at the different stalls, but I read something earlier this year about the authorities wanting to get rid of this part of Silom night life.

Guest ryanasia

Haven't been down there lately but it was in the news that Silom and Sukhumvit sidewalks have been cleared. I haven't heard anything in the news or online suggesting they have made a come back. 

Guest Promsak

The Silom Road night market has been cleared  for about a month now (the authorities cleared the daytime version a long time ago).

Some enterprising traders are cramming themselves onto the steps outside shops e.g. Boots. Presumably the shops are charging rent.

The Patpong night market is operating normally, it being on private property.

I never liked it. Don't like crowded

Situations in general. And I don't buy

Any of the junk they hawk. It would

Force me to walk on the steet itself.

With limited time spent in silom I really

Really don't want things slowing me down

During my nightly consitutional read

Hunt. I would make a loop from narathiwat

Too surawong to rama 4 and around to

Silom. Used to have excellent street

Trade. Alas no more. Met one of the hottest guys ever in front greek temple

Bank steps. Once in the room I said how about massage he said very seriously no

Massage SEX only! I was only too happy to

Oblighe.

The Patpong night market is operating normally, it being on private property.

Since the market is down the middle of what I'd thought was a public street, I'm curious how it could be private property? I suppose someone could own property and put a paved street through it, but then how does that work with city ordinances? 

Anyone know?

Many of us who live here are happy they don't block the sidewalks anymore. 

Personally, I'd be OK with it if they were only one ONE side of the sidewalk, but trying to move with foot traffic in both directions along a meter-wide walkway space - especially if someone stops to look at anything - is just too frustrating.

Bottom line unless there is a Thai national on this board which I don't think there is , it is none of our business how the Thais manage their streets and sidewalks . We all have our own opinions and I am sure none of them are factored into the decisions of whether Thais are allowed to make a living selling stuff to tourists.

I agree a  lot of it could be termed junk but there are some things worth buying and over the years I have brought back things to friends that they enjoyed .  Right now I am looking at 3 watches that have kept time perfectly for years and even some jewelers have mistaken for the real thing.

I much prefer this type of streets to pristine perfect streets of some Asian countries .  Anyways if they start cleaning up the streets from vendors where will we go for that fabulous street food?

Bottom line unless there is a Thai national on this board which I don't think there is , it is none of our business how the Thais manage their streets and sidewalks.

You obviously haven't been to Bangkok recently, I mean since these changes started. Bangkok's "tessakit" officers who are enforcing these rules have several tents along Silom and Sukhumvit where they solicit people's opinions. As the signs they display to that effect are written in both Thai and English, one has to assume that they realize that a good part of their clientele in these areas are foreign visitors. I don't see anything wrong with a foreigner taking them up on their invitation to let them know their feelings about these changes.

I live there and I'm in the camp liking it MUCH better with the market. I don't want to live in a dead including the city (or area)

Since the market is down the middle of what I'd thought was a public street, I'm curious how it could be private property? I suppose someone could own property and put a paved street through it, but then how does that work with city ordinances? 

Anyone know?

the land of the entire street including the land/buildings along it are indeed private property (of a Thai-Chinese family business if I remember correctly) and therefore not subject to any city regulations regarding markets in public areas. I forgot the details of the history of this, but can look it up once back in BKK next week (travelling at the moment)

You obviously haven't been to Bangkok recently, I mean since these changes started. Bangkok's "tessakit" officers who are enforcing these rules have several tents along Silom and Sukhumvit where they solicit people's opinions. As the signs they display to that effect are written in both Thai and English, one has to assume that they realize that a good part of their clientele in these areas are foreign visitors. I don't see anything wrong with a foreigner taking them up on their invitation to let them know their feelings about these changes.

I see nothing inconsistent  with my post and your post. If Thai officials decide to ask tourists questions about what they like like then it is their country and their decision to ask the questions. Just like it is their decision to do what they want in their country whether we as visitors like it or not.  I for one am not in favor of them turning BKK into nothing but Glitzy Malls with fancy shops and restaurants with high prices. I can find that in a number of other Asian countries.

At any rate whether we get to chime in or not is their decision and we will get what they want!

Guest ryanasia

Bottom line unless there is a Thai national on this board which I don't think there is , it is none of our business how the Thais manage their streets and sidewalks . We all have our own opinions and I am sure none of them are factored into the decisions of whether Thais are allowed to make a living selling stuff to tourists.

I agree a  lot of it could be termed junk but there are some things worth buying and over the years I have brought back things to friends that they enjoyed .  Right now I am looking at 3 watches that have kept time perfectly for years and even some jewelers have mistaken for the real thing.

I much prefer this type of streets to pristine perfect streets of some Asian countries .  Anyways if they start cleaning up the streets from vendors where will we go for that fabulous street food?

I believe the Thais have spoken and decided they also don't want the streets blocked for Chinese made dildos that wouldn't pass health inspections back home and other similar crap. Thai people cleared the streets not westerners so live with their decision. I for one love it. I have to side with the Thais on this one.

Some seem to talking about streets and most vendors are on sidewalks including all the food that it seems most everyone loves. It has been 11 months since my last visit so am I to assume that there are no longer food stalls on Surawong etc and many side streets off Silom and numerous other streets to numerous to mention. Or are we just talking about Silom Rd.??

Guest ryanasia

Some seem to talking about streets and most vendors are on sidewalks including all the food that it seems most everyone loves. It has been 11 months since my last visit so am I to assume that there are no longer food stalls on Surawong etc and many side streets off Silom and numerous other streets to numerous to mention. Or are we just talking about Silom Rd.??

Silom and Sukumvhit. The night markets at Patpong and side sois still happen. 

they got rid of the stalls blocking the area around Sala Daeng BTS and rightfully so. They never sold food there.

Guest abang1961

Yes being Chinese, one of my favourite food is that sinfully good pig offal soup in Silom. I know it sounds repulsive but it is extremely tasty and flavourful ..