gaperking

Anyone here living in BKK or Pattaya?

I live in Scandinavia and am still in working life but have thought possibility at some moment try living in Asia. Just that there are not much chances to go with expat status to Asia (I.e. a company sends you there with European salary), I would have to adjust to local salary level. And still too much time to pension. But I still think about it...

Guest ryanasia

Good place to retire if you have a steady income, horrible place to work. I base this upon on the fact that virtually any job you can think of is prohibited under Thai law.

So they prohibit foreigners to work in Thailand? Hmm. Well, in a way I understand that. Heh, wish European countries would take as tough attitude towards 'refugees' that come after better living in Europe...

Well it isn't that black and white. I've been working in Bangkok for ten+ years and for me it's FAR from a horrible place to work, more the opposite actually. ;)

But it really depends on your individual circumstances, or more to the point, the kind of job you can secure in Thailand and your attitude towards working with Thais. It works for me and for many other expats I know, but it's not for everyone obviously.

Guest ryanasia

So they prohibit foreigners to work in Thailand? Hmm. Well, in a way I understand that. Heh, wish European countries would take as tough attitude towards 'refugees' that come after better living in Europe...

Most occupations outside of higher level white collar jobs are illegal for foreigners. If you dig around online you can find the complete list. That guy you see running a bar, that guy who manages bookings at his guesthouse... are both working illegally. 

The law isn't always enforced equally of course as this is Thailand but a high percentage of foreign owned businesses are illegally run. This is becoming more problematic with the current government. If you have a company sponsor you for a work permit it is easy enough but this is limited to a handful of occupations. Obviously there are a ton of illegal workers from neighboring countries but that is beyond the scope of this conversation. 

If you come here unless you are sys admin or an English teacher you aren't likely to find it easy to work in Thailand. So for this reason I would say Thailand for most people is a rather hostile place to work or do business. Obviously there are people like Alex that have a nice job and are happy with it. My partner earns well but absolutely hates the work environment here. 

YMMV

Guest ryanasia

Chiang Mai is an elephant's graveyard with nearly as many traffic problems and smoke induced respiratory problems that can only be duplicated in industrial towns in China and India. 

Pattaya I agree with if your needs are simple and your focus is on boys. There is nothing wrong with that.