GoGo Bar Top Tips -How to Make the Mamasan P*** Off

Guest samebb

Not limited to bars, I've found that in Thailand it's usually sufficient to reply in a gradually unfriendlier fashion. First I say "no thanks" with a genuine smile, and if necessary it will go downhill from there. That even works with Asoke ladyboys, they're worse than the worst mamasan I've ever encountered.

Just ignore them. The minute you say something they harras you. If they harras you anyway and worse try to physically assault you, do what you need to do to protect youself. I was in pain for a week after my incident. I wont let it happen again. That slimebag is still in Bangkok but gives me a wide birth.

Well I guess I've just been lucky, I've never been assaulted in all my years here. When people approach me in the street, I usually do acknowledge them with a friendly "no thanks", but I don't stop and just keep walking. In the rare event that someone has grabbed me or blocked my way, I've never had a problem to gently escape their clutches. Responding with violence probably does more harm than good, although I'd agree that it might be well deserved occasionally.

Guest samebb

All I will say is, the skin and flesh on the underside of my upper arms is very sensitive. When someone with big nails clasps and yanks me to one side by that area, it freaking hurts! Try it on yourself. Your reaction might be knee jerk as mine was.

I see a lot of grabbing in vietnam too, especially in ben thanh market. However they dobt bother grabbing me since i look like local lol My limited experience in Bangkok also have not experience any grabbing by tout.

Another way to get rid is say " no English" ...it works !

This is no use if they remember you from previous visits.

I've used this when approached by some schyster on the streets of Phuket, with some success:

Q:   Do you speak English ?

Me:   Nein

Q:  Nihongo ga dekimasu ka ?

I have very little interaction with mamasans and will keep it that way. But interestingly, for others it seems to work to do all their interaction via mamasan:

It has happened that a mama san has advised me, regretfully, that none of the available boys at her bar will suit me (I am arriving late) and has then taken me to another bar which her network tells her has boys I will like and has introduced me to the mama san there, for a happy result all around.

I just treat them all individually depending upon whether they are actually helpful or just taking the piss and trying to line their own pockets...

Toyboys & Powerboys for example have Mena & JoJo who are both great

Prisma (before that 360 and WWB) had the vile Leila who I cannot abide...but even then you just have to be direct with them i.e. had a conversation with Leila and told 'it' back at 360 that if he tried to talk or get anything from me I would not even step foot in 360...after that 'it' just left me alone.   Funny thing is the waiters in 360 (back when it was ok) did a much better job than Leila ever did if I needed any info prior to an off....