reader

Bangkok 61st?

While scanning through the Bangkok Coconuts website, came across a reference to a list titled "Best LGBT Cities 2017." It was generated by a Berlin-based company, Netpick, that's in the business of connecting property owners and tenants.

What captured my attention was that it ranked Bangkok in 61st place worldwide, barely edging out Rotterdam and Cardiff.

What were some of the cities that ranked higher? How about Tel Aviv, Brighton, Austin, Edinburgh, Reykjavik and Calgary.

It's a classic example of what happens when arbitrary values are assigned to selective criteria and Excel spews out the results.

You be the judge. Here's the complete list:

https://www.nestpick.com/best-lgbt-cities/

Agreed,  that kind of ranking is useless GIGO, but some of those cities probably score higher than Bangkok on at least one axis.

Random statistic, proving nothing: when I was in Reykjavik a few years ago, estimated turnout for the Pride parade (led by the mayor in drag), 90,000 people (and judging by my observations that figure is plausible.)  That's more than a quarter of the population of Iceland.

Guest samebb

NestPick are a scam, slightly off topic but yeah.

Their Barcelona branch went bust in 2016 with a lot of peoples money. Still got a friend in Barcelona fighting now. 

For me Brasil #1

Mexico#2

Bkk #3

Colombia (with caution) #4

Barcelona #5

Although Thailand can be very inexpensive, rent, food, taxi....the sex scene is the most expensive out of the 5 I've listed, weird because on a % scale of good sex, it comes in at the lowest....for me anyway.

For me Brasil #1

Mexico#2

Bkk #3

Colombia (with caution) #4

Barcelona #5

I wish I could make Mexico my No. 1, because living in the south of the US it is the closest foreign country.  But I find BKK safer, and I prefer Asians to Mexicans, although these also rate well in my estimation.